G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Have your driving habits changed with the high cost of gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mx22o
i drive like a grandma now.. i try not to go above 3,000 rpm and i leave it on neutral and let it roll down the hill..
just an FYI putting it into neutral burns more gas than in gear or D

Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
yea neutral burns more...if you see it...the rpm's are higher and its bad for us auto guys...itll ruin our tranny

Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by O HELLA JDM
yea neutral burns more...if you see it...the rpm's are higher and its bad for us auto guys...itll ruin our tranny
oh wow i didn't know that! I thought neutral always had lower RPM's...

I always coast down hill by putting it on neutral but if it's highway or to stop signs/red lights... i downshift...

I'm gonna stop that now!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i tried to change my habit but its so tempting especially on a nice sunny day..

Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I paid 4.31 for premium today. I still drive hard when I've got a full tank. Not till I'm down to a quarter or so do I start driving like my grandma.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 AM
YES!....

i'm considering selling my car =(... dunno.. i barely drive it b/c gas prices SUCK... i drive my sisters '07 camry 90% of the time..

Old 05-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bootleg23
only costs you $67, wow thats cheap i pay over $100 to fill my G. However i am from Toronto Canada and gas is more expensive at 1.40 per liter for sunoco 94.

To answer your question no my habits haven't changed and never will. What has changed is my bicycle is getting more use. so instead of changing my habits i just change my mode of transport and treat myself to the G once in a while.

Lets me enjoy the car more and saves me money. I figure if i ride my bike to work 2-3 times a week its like paying half for gas.
true, you pay more for gas, but still, the cost of living in Canada is cheap. Free healthcare, housing is cheap, and the cost of groceries is probably cheaper there too.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by PrayingMantis
true, you pay more for gas, but still, the cost of living in Canada is cheap. Free healthcare, housing is cheap, and the cost of groceries is probably cheaper there too.
Good point... The free healthcare is definitely a nice bonus if your a Canadian.

And... groceries in the US have gone up quite a bit because of the gas pricse too. I live in Wilmington, NC and we are probably paying about 30% or more on groceries than last year. But that doesn't stop me from throwing a nice steak on the grill!

Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You're speaking of what you do not know and you are also generalizing for all of Canada.

The cost of living in Canada is not cheap.

Health care is not free. Canadian taxpayers pay for universal access health care.

Housing prices vary across Canada dramatically just as they do in the US. Average house prices are quite close to the US. Here are some numbers that came from a recent thread we had in the Canadian section. The link for the source is no longer working however. In fact I suspect average US home prices are currently below Canadian ones since Canada has seen increases in '07 and the US has decreased.
Average house prices:
US $299,100 (April '07) ;
Can $294,838 (Feb '07)

Groceries are more expensive here since so many goods have to be shipped further from growers whether it be from Canada or international, and business taxes are higher.

Virtually all goods are more expensive here including cars and fuel. Many Canadians have been shopping in the US for years for goods, even when our currency was weaker. Why - because the cost of goods is much less.

On topic- yes my habits have changed somewhat. We are more careful with fewer trips to the store, less leisure drives etc.

Last edited by RBull; 05-20-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by perfectmax
Good point... The free healthcare is definitely a nice bonus if your a Canadian.

And... groceries in the US have gone up quite a bit because of the gas pricse too. I live in Wilmington, NC and we are probably paying about 30% or more on groceries than last year. But that doesn't stop me from throwing a nice steak on the grill!
See above.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
My habits havent changed I just pick up more shifts to cover the costs. I am addicted to speed.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
You're speaking of what you do not know and you are also generalizing for all of Canada.

The cost of living in Canada is not cheap.

Health care is not free. Canadian taxpayers pay for universal access health care.

Housing prices vary across Canada dramatically just as they do in the US. Average house prices are quite close to the US. Here are some numbers that came from a recent thread we had in the Canadian section. The link for the source is no longer working however. In fact I suspect average US home prices are currently below Canadian ones since Canada has seen increases in '07 and the US has decreased.
Average house prices:
US $299,100 (April '07) ;
Can $294,838 (Feb '07)

Groceries are more expensive here since so many goods have to be shipped further from growers whether it be from Canada or international, and business taxes are higher.

Virtually all goods are more expensive here including cars and fuel. Many Canadians have been shopping in the US for years for goods, even when our currency was weaker. Why - because the cost of goods is much less.

On topic- yes my habits have changed somewhat. We are more careful with fewer trips to the store, less leisure drives etc.

Thanks for replying before I burst a blood vessel. I read like 4 replies in a row about "free this" "cheaper in Canada" "free that"... People must not realize we pay more income tax and sales taxes for these "free" perks. To answer the OP , no my habits haven't changed.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

W.R.O.N.G.

Cost of living in canada has to be atleast double what it is here.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Sask
Thanks for replying before I burst a blood vessel. I read like 4 replies in a row about "free this" "cheaper in Canada" "free that"... People must not realize we pay more income tax and sales taxes for these "free" perks. To answer the OP , no my habits haven't changed.
+1... nicely put Deane.

...habits changed? yup.
Have just as much fun but not as often.
My next DD will be a flat out mileage machine.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I appologize for the ignorant response. I was always under the assumption that costs were a bit cheaper in Canada...

Hummm... I guess we all are suffering from an increase in living costs!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have your driving habits changed with the high cost of gas?