G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Will dealer be able to detect the use of NITROUS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will dealer be able to detect the use of NITROUS?

I am looking for some extra power for my G but i have some concerns. First and foremost, i am a believer in the whole "if you know what your doing with Nitrous then your engine wont blow up" theory, so i am not concerned with that. At this point in my modding stage i could go in two directions.

1) Crawford plenum, Hi-flow cats, and an exhaust system (to be determined which one at a later point). I already have JWT pop charger and Z tube. Total price comes to about 1500, the same cost as a nos kit.

2) Nitrous oxide (wet system)

Which brings me to my question....I would rather go with option number one but i am scared of warranty issues. Forget the fact that I might have a hard time just getting Infiniti to service the car with those mods on it, i am more worried of something going wrong with the car and them refusing the work and im left with a huge repair bill that i can't pay.

With Nitrous, i am able to attain the power gains i want at a good price but my main concerns with that are:

a) Will dealership be able to detect the use of Nitrous oxide?

b) Can anything be done to remove any traces that the Nitrous might leave in the engine?

c) In theory, will this void my warranty? (i know the answer is probably yes)

c) How easy/hard is it to remove the Nos kit from the car?

Any input anyone might have or any experiences that any of my G brothers or sisters can relate to me would be appriciated. Thanks

Old 04-21-2004, 04:28 PM
04 G35 Coupe 6MT Gold Brembo’s
Re: Will dealer be able to detect the use of NITROUS?

I'm no expert but based on what I know of nitrous, it is a colorless and fairly odorless gas which doesn't leave much in the way of residue or traces, so if your setup is really basic, then as long as you ditch the bottle, valves, lines etc. your dealer shouldn’t detect it (directly).

But if you did a proper setup, then ditching it would be a MAJOR pain -- (I'm talking forged pistons/ rods, bigger injectors, engine management etc.)

But even IF you ditched the setup, a good mechanic could still suspect nitrous INdirectly, like if you have abnormal wear on head gaskets, rings, rods and pistons etc. On the other hand, I think the dealer would be okay with a Crawford/ intake, exhaust mods -- some dealers even offer it themselves I think.

But warranty-wise, the dealer would never be okay with nitrous -- and for good reason.
I'd be too paranoid doing a nitrous system since we already have high compression engines, and using nitrous is like a massive sudden compression ratio increase – so I'd worry that such an increase in dynamic cylinder pressure could blow the engine one day... or at least damage the head gasket seal, rings, pistons/ rods, bearings etc.

The other problem is that with the higher compression ratio, you get an increase in the engine's tendency to detonate, which (same as using low octane fuel) will make our VQ35 engine respond by retarding timing to avoid knocking... so now your engine's timing's off...

One other problem -- how will you know what proportion of nitrous and fuel is correct? If you just feed straight nitrous without extra fuel, the lean mixture will make the timing situation even worse... and so now you need those bigger fuel injectors (if you want to do it right) and you'll need a modified engine management system to retard spark timing during boost.

Even then, it's still a guessing game how much boost is safe, unless you want to shell out the extra coin for forged pistons, those Stillen high-strength connecting rods, etc. -- on top of the new fuel injectors and the stand-alone engine management system...

So I would (personally) go the Crawford plenum route, intake/ exhaust, etc. At least the extra horses are always there, whereas if you have say a 20 pound bottle of nitrous, that's good for what? ...20-30 seconds of boost maybe? I'd even consider a supercharger first, because at least it's less of a guessing game with the boost and more consistent.

But either way, sounds like you're going to have yourself a smokin' fast car! ;-)

2004 G35C 6MT + Nav, Silverstone

Old 04-21-2004, 04:51 PM

Since i am a nitrous newbie so to speak, i would be going with a 75 shot or 125 shot adjustable and just keep it low until i got a better idea of how it works. Any replies to what metasystem implied about the Nos?

Another question i have is...lets say i go with the 75 shot, what internals do I need to change? pistons? rods? How about a new clutch?? I am not going to be out there spraying nitrous left and right every day or anything like that, I just want the power for those situation when i really need it. Then i could be done with performance upgrades and begin to work on exterior upgrades and a nice set of wheels and tires.

Any replies to what metasystem had to say about nitrous?
Agree? disagree?

Old 04-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! The more resourceful dealers know that you can detect the sulfur in Nitrous Plus in an oil sample. Sulfur is used to prevent drug abuse of nitrius oxide, it makes you sick when too much is sniffed.

Andrew, We Miss and Love You! Peace!

Old 04-21-2004, 05:18 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is true, Well the Sulfer part is, Kinda. It's a Sulfer Dioxide Gas that is mixed into the Nitrous. I dont know if it leaves a residue in the engine but I was led to believe that it didn't. However if you blow apart your "stock" motor I highly doubt that any infiniti dealer is going to just say oh darn thtas wierd hold on le me get you a new motor asap. They are gonna look into why it blew and there will be tell tale signs of NOS in there. Most likely.

Oh yeah and the Funny part of that SO2 senting is that all of the speed shops around here have pure medical grade Nitrous. No sulfer. (They aren't supposed to have it but they do)

Old 04-21-2004, 05:19 PM

Well... okay, maybe I'm just being overly cautious. A 75 wet shot should do no major harm to the G, since I hear of guys running 90 or 125 with Hondas and Volkswagons. But I couldn't say that with absolute certainty...

But if you're set on going NOS, just make sure you got the correct jet setting -- like I was saying if it's too lean then your timing will be bad and you will be disappointed. But I'm no expert, so if you're a novice like me, I would try to find someone who already has a NOS'd G... also, try checking with the guys at the 350Z forum maybe.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:29 PM

So with a 75 shot i should not have any problems with the engine detonating? If it did, i would go into a state of depression to which i would never return. But if the dealer voided my warranty because of upgrades i made...i would fall into a similar state of mind. Any way to remove the traces of sulfur?

I hate that i have to be concerned with mods and my warranty. The nitrous i understand, but with a new plenum, hi-flow cars and an exhaust, i dont think anyone should be hasseled. Why can't dealers be more sympathetic to their customers needs and wants? I remember in a marketing class i took last year i learned that it is up to 5 times more expensive for companies to get new customers as compared to keeping the ones you have satisfied and having them buy your products again. If my warranty was voided because of a few mods, you can bet your bottom dollar i would never buy an infiniti or nissan again...unless they come out with the GTR....but that isn't fair because i would be powerless in that situation.

Old 04-21-2004, 05:57 PM

Lol, see maybe I'm slowing down in my old age, but I don't feel the need for speed as much as you... or I should say I'm pretty satisfied with stock performance for now and I'll do some simple mods down the road for a few extra horses. But if given the choice between bragging rights and my engine's longevity... I'll take the latter ;-)

So my advice is work on the intake/ exhaust and maybe add a supercharger if you want, but if you're going NOS, then talk to the 350Z people who have done it. There are some serious folk over there who have learned the boost thresholds and engine limits the hard way (by blowing engines), so they're the ones who could probably help you out the best.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:36 PM

I would find a fill station that has medical grade nitrous(non-sulfur), they are all over here in Socal...just ask around in your area. As for running lean, just make sure you dyno and check your A/F. The 75shot kit whether it's NX, NOS, Zex, will come with the jets you need and I highly doubt you will have to adjust to get your safe A/F.
What you should do if you haven't already, is check with some of your local dealers and ask what their take is on some of the aftermarket mods you mentioned and that will better answer your question about the warranties and what you should and shouldn't do.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:38 PM

Get a wet system - get it tuned - get some safety toys...

Modding anything on your car will give you headaches with the dealer. I could completely remove my nitrous kit and intake (which the nitrous taps into) in an hour or two.

I dont use it much - just when the local M3's want to play.

Worth

2004.5 Sedan AT DG
Sport/Flaps/Premium/max tint/Bose
NX Nitrous (tuned)
CAI Injen
6 wire ground kit
Custom ECU
Zaino layers=6
next mod: higher jets

Old 04-21-2004, 10:02 PM

I have a moderate experience with N2O being that my brother and I installed two systems, one wet one dry, into his and his friends weekend toy cars, aka miatas.

As far as the dealer detecting the use of N2O, like others have said, the sulfur maybe an issue but I would bet that your delaer would not bother testing your oil if there are no visible mods or uniique problems such as a blown headgasket on a relatively new car.

In addition, I may be wrong but, I would think flushing your engine out with say a cheap dino oil twice before bringing it in for service would be a good way of cleaning up or at least minimizing any traces of Sulfur for a mere ~$25.

The 100% approach would be the medical grade N2O, which is not hard to come by here in SoCal.

As far as the motor being able to handle the N20 well this is obviously going to become a flame fest but lets see if this doesn't start a fire.

N2O in general will generate the same wear as a supercharger or turbocharger. In regards to detonation, a supercharger or turbocharger will detonate due to high intake temp and or inadequate fuel delivery, whereas N2O will detonate due to inadequate fuel delivery only.

The amount that our g35's can handle is probably around 80-100 being that the compression ratio is nominal at 10.3:1 but this is only in comparisson to other recommendations I have read so the best bet is to simply call up NOS or Zex or Nitrous Express or Venom or whoever and ask them.

If you are going wet setup, which I recommend despite what some may say due to the whole pooling theories, completely reversing it will not be that difficult. The only thing that will be difficult to reverse and deny if noticed by your dealer is the holes in your intake manifold. They might notice the plugs and I don't think I could think of anything that would go there besides nitrous.

Done right nitrous is as safe as any non-NA hp source. The reason more engines blowup on N2O compared to super/turbocharger is that those that buy super/turbochargers are spending serious cash and therefore have relatively more respect and caution than those running the nitrous at a quarter of the price.

Dollar/hp ratio N2O can't be beat. I personally would prefer the cats/exhaust/blah blah blah. Oh and expect to pay anywhere from $35-$55 to fill up a 10lb bottle, well at least in socal.

Definately check out my350z.com for info, and for fun vwvortex.com just because it is a great forum with good search capabilities and I know for a fact that it has been discussed inside and out over there.