Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
6MT swap FTW!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
6MT swap FTW!
More like FTWM = For The Waste of Money

If I had a 5AT G35, I'd just sell it and buy a 6MT, and then sink the $8-10K difference that it cost for the swap into a sweet turbo or supercharger setup. I just can't fathom sinking that much money into a car and then having something that is slower than a stock 6MT because the rear end is geared taller than a stock 6MT.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
G35driver's mostly ignorant userbase strikes again.

Someone selling their own car for another is not an option for some people.

I guess when you buy something second hand or third/fourth hand for 95% of people on this forum you have different feelings for it.

Personally I remember riding back from the dealer in 2002 when I was in 4th grade. Yes I am that young. But the thing is, my dad and I did a lot of work on this car, something I'm glad I get to take with me when working by my self.

In the case of the OP, he had already put money into the car, further complicating the issue.

It isn't as easy to remove mods like that compared to ripping off your popcharger and license plate frame...

The following users liked this post:
Footballmania32 (11-03-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Massios
G35driver's mostly ignorant userbase strikes again.

Someone selling their own car for another is not an option for some people.

I guess when you buy something second hand or third/fourth hand for 95% of people on this forum you have different feelings for it.

Personally I remember riding back from the dealer in 2002 when I was in 4th grade. Yes I am that young. But the thing is, my dad and I did a lot of work on this car, something I'm glad I get to take with me when working by my self.

In the case of the OP, he had already put money into the car, further complicating the issue.

It isn't as easy to remove mods like that compared to ripping off your popcharger and license plate frame...
Ignorant, eh?.. LOL... coming from the voice of the well-experienced 20 to 21 year old who was in 5th/6th grade when some of the people here (such as myself) were buying their G35's brand new back in '03/04?

Think about it this way... If you have $8-10K to throw at a car for a swap like this and you have the means of getting around while the car is off the road and in the shop getting the swap done, you're not some **** poor kid just scraping by to get from point A to point B with no alternatives for transportation. This swap isn't something that's crucial to do in order to make the car function... so you can pretty eliminate all of the people from the equation that you're talking about.

To me, being ignorant is not evaluating your options and choosing the most cost-effective and most bang-for-the-buck effective alternative, not to mention the fact that if you buy a factory equipped 6MT, you're getting something that hasn't been ripped apart and spliced back together to get to where it is... and all the potential risks that go along with that type of thing. Again... I'm not trying to call the OP ignorant, as you so kindly put it... but I am pointing out that this is not a monetarily wise decision considering the price for the end result. There's almost nothing anyone can say to discount that.. it's pretty much a fact.

Last edited by partyman66; 11-03-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
Ignorant, eh?.. LOL... coming from the voice of the well-experienced 20 to 21 year old who was in 5th/6th grade when some of the people here (such as myself) were buying their G35's brand new back in '03/04?

Think about it this way... If you have $8-10K to throw at a car for a swap like this and you have the means of getting around while the car is off the road and in the shop getting the swap done, you're not some **** poor kid just scraping by to get from point A to point B with no alternatives for transportation. This swap isn't something that's crucial to do in order to make the car function... so you can pretty eliminate all of the people from the equation that you're talking about.

To me, being ignorant is not evaluating your options and choosing the most cost-effective and most bang-for-the-buck effective alternative, not to mention the fact that if you buy a factory equipped 6MT, you're getting something that hasn't been ripped apart and spliced back together to get to where it is... and all the potential risks that go along with that type of thing. Again... I'm not trying to call the OP ignorant, as you so kindly put it... but I am pointing out that this is not a monetarily wise decision considering the price for the end result. There's almost nothing anyone can say to discount that.. it's pretty much a fact.
I, myself actually have no other means of transportation without borrowing a car. For example, I borrowed my girlfriend's dad's 1988 Jeep. I drove that thing for longer than I would have wanted. I can't get another car right now, maybe soon, but not a year ago and still not right now.

Was it cost effective? Actually, in my case yes it was. My auto trans went out from the abuse I put it through. It crapped out, and yes it was already fully built. It would have cost about $4000 to fix it. If I did that, it would have failed again in about a year because I track my car. So $4,000 to fix a transmission every year? HA.

I also have too much done to my car to sell it and get a 6MT. It would probably cost me $15,000+ to take everything off my car, find stock parts, but it back to stock, sell the car, get into a new one, put everything back on. It was believe it or not much simpler to convert to a manual. Guess what? I probably have the only 2006 6MT G35 in the world with inteli-key.

Have I had any issues with the swap? Since it's been 100%, nope not a thing. Everything was done OEM by a nissan master tech. Drives like stock, looks like stock, I don't even have an AT light. Maybe you are on the wrong site..this site is for car enthusiasts who don't go around criticizing because people spend money where you would not.

Honestly, if you don't have a twin turbo built motor setup, you probably wouldn't understand why I/we do it. Selling the car is simply not an option.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, great project!!! I actually had this dillema when I had an 06 5AT coupe, and I wanted to have manual instead. I did not drop 10k on it though, found an 06 6MT and traded the car in and rolled over 2500 in negative equity.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I, myself actually have no other means of transportation without borrowing a car. For example, I borrowed my girlfriend's dad's 1988 Jeep. I drove that thing for longer than I would have wanted. I can't get another car right now, maybe soon, but not a year ago and still not right now.

Was it cost effective? Actually, in my case yes it was. My auto trans went out from the abuse I put it through. It crapped out, and yes it was already fully built. It would have cost about $4000 to fix it. If I did that, it would have failed again in about a year because I track my car. So $4,000 to fix a transmission every year? HA.

I also have too much done to my car to sell it and get a 6MT. It would probably cost me $15,000+ to take everything off my car, find stock parts, but it back to stock, sell the car, get into a new one, put everything back on. It was believe it or not much simpler to convert to a manual. Guess what? I probably have the only 2006 6MT G35 in the world with inteli-key.

Have I had any issues with the swap? Since it's been 100%, nope not a thing. Everything was done OEM by a nissan master tech. Drives like stock, looks like stock, I don't even have an AT light. Maybe you are on the wrong site..this site is for car enthusiasts who don't go around criticizing because people spend money where you would not.

Honestly, if you don't have a twin turbo built motor setup, you probably wouldn't understand why I/we do it. Selling the car is simply not an option.
^+1

Old 11-12-2011, 05:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by partyman66
Zombie-thread raiser!
Who cares dude, atleast I searched it and brought it back because of my curiosity. We're all here on this forum to learn not hate. Get it straight.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn... Mad love for the G. You got my respect.