G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Considerin the g35 but...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considerin the g35 but...

hey guys, i used to drive my dad's 92 lexus es300, but he sold that to get me a new car. my heart is set on the g35 coupe, test drove it several times and it drives great. recently, he's been reading up on the acura TL and wants me to consider that instead possibly. i will test drive it the next time i come home from school, but i would rather a coupe than a sedan. the acura is a wonderful car, my sister just bought a tsx and really loves it (perhaps another reason my dad wants me to get a TL). i know features-wise, the acura does offer a lot from a competitive price, but really i don't know how much i'll actually use all the features it's capable of handling, like bluetooth technology, i don't even have a bluetooth phone.. his main "concern" is rear seating and trunk space. i thought the rear seating in the G was decent when i went test driving, does anyone have any comments about the rear seating? now i know most of u are drivers of the G so the question might be a little difficult. also, any comments about the g35 vs. TL will be appreciated. i only can make this decision once, and want to make the best for obvious reasons, do not want to waste this priviledge. thank you

Old 05-20-2004, 12:46 AM
Re: Considerin the g35 but...

hey,

thats funny, my dad was telling me to buy a tsx or a tl also. then i went to see a g35 couple times and didn't even consider the acuras. after this my choice was betweena g35 sedan and a coupe. man am i glad that i chose the coupe. i have zero regrets. i mean tl are nice, but if you really want a four door a g35 sedan or a maxima is much better IMO. those maximas look damn nice too.

good luck!

Old 05-20-2004, 12:49 AM

man..i am having the same dilemma...although my parents r not pushing me either way....i just wish they have the CL back...but actually..even with CL..i probably will still get the g35c...skyline has always been my dream car (namely r34)...i guess this is as close as it gets =)...

on the other hand...i would choose the new TL over the new maximas....the TL looks pretty nice in front and on the side...kinda like a 5 series...on the side...at some weird angle....dun kill me for saying that =)

Old 05-20-2004, 01:02 AM

Two opposite cars.

A luxury sedan made sporty. A sporty coupe with a touch of luxury.

Front wheel drive. Rear wheel drive.

238 lb/ft torque. 270 lb/ft torque.

I read the high speed handling of the TL makes it bounce too much as well. Don't even compare the coupe's back seats to the TL's because in reality the coupe's back seats are only comfortable for short people (unless the tall people want to hunch) and are very inconvenient to get into. You'll understand why some of us want memory seats. The coupe's back seats serve better to throw in your dry cleaned clothes or what your girlfriend bought at the mall, rather than to fit people. This is not the case for the TL. The trunk space in the coupe is pretty humble. It's deep, but narrow. I have not had a chance to look at the TL's trunk, so I cannot make a comparison. If you're considering the manual transmission models, I've heard the TL gear box is not as notchy. Also, the clutch pedal is probably less stiff and does not transmit as much vibration. (I'm assuming this information, I've not driven a TL. I'm comparing it to an RSX Type S gearbox, typical Honda one.)

Get your dad to agree to which type of car he wants to let you get first. When shopping for my car, my dad did not even consider the TL for me because it is FWD and 4 doors.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TL's are going to be everywhere soon, just like Maximas.

The looks that the G gets are priceless, and it's tonal exhaust keeps my radio off.

More HP and waaaay better handling then the TL.

My friends definitly don't mind riding in the back seat.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:05 AM

Well, first of all, TL is fwd and the G is rwd which for me, is better. But theres something I like from acura and Honda. Their navigation system. Their navs are touchscreens with voice recognition system and that is soooo cool. But overall, I think the G is better.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:27 AM

The rear seats are very comfortable and have enough leg room. It's just the head room that is a problem for anyone over like 5-foot-9.

But when you get a coupe, you probably aren't thinking about having people in the back a lot. My 6-foot-1 friend sat back there once and didn't die. Basically, people can fit back there if they need to. It's a lot better than my friend's Cobra.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:09 AM

i was in the same boat when i bought my g35c 6mt. i had actually negotiated and was supposed to pick up my tl but the dealership kept giving me the run around because it was a dealers trade so i cancelled the order and bought the g instead and have no regrets. get the g cause it looks nice, it rides great and it's more fun.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:56 AM

Both great cars... but it's not a fair comparision between the two.

First and foremost... you need to decide whats more practical for yourself... 2 door or 4 door... and the amount of room you need, and how often.

I also had my eye on the TSX and TL when I made my purchase of the G last year, and I absolutely fell head over heels for the luxury comfort and styling of the new TL's interior. The LED dash gauge, bluetooth, touch screen, voice recognition and guidance NAV system, 5.1 audio system. It had all the bells and whistles I ever wanted in a car. More importantly, power and styling was to my liking. Price of the G and TL was comparible.

The main downfall of the TL though...270 HP to the front wheels just sounded like a nightmare of understeer waiting to happen. And according to the reports I read following my purchase, I was right. Acura would've been a lot better off if the new TL was designed as a RWD vehicle (then again, the TL would've been a lot more expensive if it was a RWD).

The TL however, did surpass the G in all category of features.

But in the end, the TL is very much a family sedan, and not meant to be driven like the G coupe. At 26, I opted for the G coupe mainly because I don't have a family yet, and for sure didn't need all 4 seats for everyday use. With owning Honda's all my life, I wanted a sports coupe that had the performance of a RWD and superb braking, yet a touch of luxury for the everyday grind. The TL surpassed the G coupe in every comfort feature as well as luxury, but the performance of the two was no comparison. The TL just wasn't as fun to drive on the straights as well as handling.

Best of luck on your purchase. I'm sure either vehicle will suit you fine, just really dependent on what's more important to you... sedan vs. coupe... features vs. handling.... comfort vs drive.

Ken

Old 05-20-2004, 09:02 AM

I am a married man with 2 kids. I was considering the Accura because of the family appeal, but in the end I decided on the G35 coupe based on the looks and the driving experience. My main decision factor is that for the most part, 98% of the time I am by myself in my car. If we go out as a family, then we use my wife's car which is an Expedition. What am getting at is: Do you drive by yourself most of time?? If you do, what's the use of a four door sedan....

Old 05-20-2004, 09:09 AM

i have a feeling there are a lot of people on the forum that considered the tl and the g35. i was one of them. i checked out both but went for the g35 cuz of the sportiness. tl is practical and its new, but everyone already has it. i see old tl's and new tl's everywhere. g35 is a little more rarer.

[ 2004 G35 coupe ] - | 6MT | Black/Graphite | Premium |

Old 05-20-2004, 10:14 AM

I'm with mamboking. I've got one kid; two years old. I drive alone most of the time and use the Honda minivan for family outings. My only requirement for a backseat in MY car will be that a car seat can fit comfortably... ...behind the passenger seat. I don't do well with feet kicking the back of my seat. lol Especially leather seats.

Family outings in the G would be an occasional thing. If there's enough room to be comfortable, we'll cruise on Friday and Saturday nights. Of course, a DVD player/screen may have to be added to keep the peace. The Honda has spoiled the boy in a bad way.

I'll be entertained by the music of headers and exhaust.

Future G35C Owner... ...Never too soon to think about modifications!!

Old 05-20-2004, 10:42 AM

I think the legroom in the back of coupe is great (for a coupe), but the headroom is scary. I do not feel comfortable having my head on the glass and I'm only 5'5. If I slunch down a bit I'm ok, but I prefer to sit up straight. However, I have a friend whose 5'7 and her head did not sit on the glass, but she's got long legs so I guess it depends on the person. Small people are fine back there, medium to large size people may have some trouble (or not feel so safe).

I also will put a vote in for the Maxima. I'm not going to compare it to the TL or anything, but I would at least give it a test drive. When I had one (4th generation) everyone who drove it couldn't believe it was a 4-door family sedan. Nissan also has an incredibly loyal customer base for the Maxima, which I think says a lot about a car.

Nate

Old 05-20-2004, 12:08 PM

rear seat is comfortable imo. the trunk is pretty damn small though, but if you are buying it for trunk space, get an suv or a truck...haha

Old 05-20-2004, 01:20 PM

ya....i mean...i think g35c is more for personal use and not really a family car by any mean...so... if you are a college student (like myself)...i think its ok...when i get a family..i just gonna get a SUV or something...no problem...but..if you have a family..and g35c is your only car..it might not be your best option

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considerin the g35 but...