G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Revisit: clicking from rear of car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revisit: clicking from rear of car

I know we discussed this before, but I couldn't find the old thread.

I had this weird "clicking" or "creaking" coming from the rear of my car. You could hear it when you starting moving from a dead stop, but I realized that you can REALLY hear it by holding the brake while you try to accelerate (from a stop). I remember some of the discussions thinking it was something to do with the gas tank, others thinking it was a suspension problem.

I had the car up on lifts at Performance Nissan and it turns out that the axel needs to be replaced. They told my this is pretty common in both Z's and G35 coupes (not sure about sedan, I didn't ask though). SO I called my Infiniti dealer and low and behold, it is a common problem and they are replacing them this week under warranty.

Just thought I would share with the group incase anyone is as annoyed by this as I was. I'm glad to have it figured out now, the sound was bothering the crud out of me.

'04 Coupe 5AT BS | Premium | NAV | 18" Wheels | Borla Exhaust | 350Z Tube | TechnosECU | JWT Pop Charger | Stillen Grounding Kit | Aluminum Pedals | Clear Corners | 15% Centaur Tint

Old 05-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Re: Revisit: clicking from rear of car

YES! I'm having this problem right now! I'm bringing my car in for service for this problem tomorrow morning (along with the window streaking problem and my uneven trunk!!!)
Yeah, this stuff is starting to **** me off (and I've only had the car for 4 months!) . However, I still love my G!

Old 05-25-2004, 06:14 PM

same here..been having that problem for about a month..u can hear a few ticks if u go in reverse and then go forward..i gotta take it in soon..i have about 7450 miles so i might as well take it for the 7500 mile service and get that fixed..

Old 05-26-2004, 01:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can u elaborate more on how it sounds?
is it loud enuf that i would hear it everytime i'm driving.
just curious.

Old 05-26-2004, 07:51 AM

I only hear it when I am in a tunnel or along a road divider when the sound is reflected back to me.

Just called my dealer and they are very aware of the problem. Axle bolt needs to be tightened to specs. a 30 min job

Old 05-26-2004, 04:09 PM

I hear it all the time, but onl at stops and starts, not durring cruising.

I would not let them got off with just tightening an axle bolt. My dealer told me they dont f around with Axles. If it's broken, they replace the whole thing and it's covered under warranty. I take my car in tomorrow for service and they are supposed to fix the axle then.

My Team Transport Profile

Old 06-13-2004, 01:04 AM

I had the same exact problem. I had around 8,000 miles on the car when i took it in for service about a month ago and it's been fine ever since. On the invoice it says that they just had to lube and adjust the rear sway bar bushings.

2004 Twilight Blue G35 Coupe 6MT, Stillen Intake + Z-Tube.

Old 06-13-2004, 03:30 PM

I have the same problem too. The dealer claims they tightened the rear bolts somewhere but that didn't solve my problem. I have to bring it back again, I'm pissed. I also have a clicking sound if I drive in first gear for a 10 seconds and then let it decelerate, when I hit the clutch it makes a clicking sound and kind of jumps.

Old 06-13-2004, 07:08 PM
G Kreuzer

Son of a gun! I too have had this noise for a while now. I have long suspected it to be the rear axel (just from experience), but not aware of this being a known issue, I refused to believe it as my car was only 6 months old at the time. Thanks for the heads up. I better go get an appointment ASAP!

Clint (THX723)

Old 06-13-2004, 09:27 PM

could be replacement, but mine they took it apart, greased the axle shafts, put it back together and torqued it properly. end of problem.

my "clicking" noise could only be heard at the right rear, at very low speed, with no other noises around. once i got going, i couldn't hear it altho it was there probably. but it's all resolved as of about 2K miles and at 19K still no more noises.

BONDg35c

Old 07-20-2004, 08:40 PM

Did you end up having the rear axle replaced? Did this solve the problem?

Old 07-20-2004, 11:29 PM

I have this problem too. I have an appointment tomorrow so at least now i know other people are experiencing the same clicking noise

Old 07-20-2004, 11:47 PM

Which dealers are you guys all going to? in so. cal? I guess I should probably put my stock springs back in before taking it in.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:29 AM

I live in Northern Virginia. I have tried Rosenthal and they are telling me: it is normal, it will go away with time (maybe), you need to live with this, we're not sure, we can't take apart the car every time someone hears a noise, etc.

I am going to try some of the other local dealerships. I understand this may not be any easy thing to diagnose though it is hard to believe with as manys posts as I have read that they are less informed than I am.

Old 07-21-2004, 11:10 AM

could someone possibly describe the sound a bit more...i thin i have heard a creaking...but i'm not sure if it's the same sound that is made from this faulty rear axel...
thanks,
Ben

2004 DG 5AT coupe / AEM cai / clear corners / JDM badges

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Revisit: clicking from rear of car