G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

buying luxury vs buying nissan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying luxury vs buying nissan

Just wanted to see if any of you had similar experiences when you were looking at buying the g35.

I wanted to test drive a 350Z before my g35 got here, so I decided to go to a few Nissan dealers here in Houston. As soon as I got out of the car a fast talking salesperson approached me and started selling to me. Eventually they cut the crap and got to asking me how serious I was about buying one, to which I replied I'd like to test drive it to get a better idea. To keep it simple, they told me they didn't have very many and couldn't let me test drive it until I picked out the one that I was planning to finance and then they would have to do a credit check. Of course I scoffed and said it kind of defies conventional wisdom that I should be on the verge of buying a car before I could drive it... I won't even get married or tell a girl I love her till I get to... well you get the picture... So I said well I'm not ready to buy this very moment, but if necessary I will make a deposit to show how serious I am (of course i really wasn't serious, just curious)... They mumbled something under their breath and then said they wanted to keep the miles down so I asked how many miles the typical test drive lasted and that I'd be moer than happy to just take it down the block and come back, again the question was "what will it take you to buy one today?" Then I was shocked at the 39K price tag for the comparably equipped 350 and I asked why a car with two less seats, more plastic, less leather (a non luxury division) car cost more than the luxury one? Some diversionary fidgeting, then they told me it had seven more horsepower and that the g35 is a much more common car and that there were fewer of them around (I saw 4 on the way over to the dealer as opposed to 1 g35), but beyond that didn't know enough about the car to open the hood release... I told them that when I went to the infiniti dealer, the sales consultants there were extremely helpful and offered to let me go for a test drive (3 times already) w/o me even having to ask. Then I asked about loaner car programs and I guess at this point they would get frustrated with my unfair comparisons and so they started making concessions on prices, but they were right, they were fighting a losing battle... The nissan salespeoples' attitudes sucked from beginning and the whole buying experience didn't have a single ounce of luxury in it. I went back up the fwy back to the infiniti dealer where they all greeted me, got me and my friends drinks and talked to us about cars.

Old 03-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Re: buying luxury vs buying nissan

Thanks for the post... and yes, many of us had similar experiences.

Andrew

2003 coupe 6MT blue premium aero (since 3/9/03)

Old 03-17-2003, 06:37 PM

I was offered a test drive in a Z without asking.Maybe my salt and pepper hair had something to do with it.When my wife bought her G sedan the experience was also good.However,at the Infiniti dealer some young Hispanic men were totally ignored as they looked at the coupes.I casually talked to them and they were paying cash so I told my salesman,a real nice guy,not to let them leave and I would wait while he spoke to them.He sold my wife a sedan and the other guy a coupe that evening.It turns out the man is a dentist with 3 offices and owns a 911 and an Audi TT.Moral of the story: Don't judge a person by his/her ethnicity and attire.

2003.5 G35 Sedan
2002 Accord V6 Coupe
2003 350Z

Old 03-17-2003, 06:40 PM

That's great advice for ALL car salesmen.

Andrew

Old 03-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you mean non-white people can be successful!!! *gasp*

i didn't think people stiill judged based on race today?

www.ironpumping.com
^^Bodybuilding Made Simple

Old 03-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Jay

In Eastern Kentucky there are quite a few coal mine millionaires who have made a fortune over the years. Their closest Cadillac dealer is here in Lexington. Several years ago a gentleman dressed in blue jeans and a flannel shirt stopped at the Cadillac dealership driving his well worn Chevy truck. When he told the first salesman he needed 10 new Cadillac’s he was told to get lost. He then went to the manager who told him the same thing. When he bought the new cars at the Louisville Cadillac dealer he made one stipulation that they be delivered by car carrier to the parking lot of the Cadillac dealership here in Lexington. There he presented the cars to each of the managers of his coal mines, while the staff of the Lexington dealership watched all of the commotion form the showroom.

The manager of the Lexington store was subsequently fired.

Old 03-17-2003, 07:01 PM

Yep, and like they had anything better to do anyway....... Good salespeople spend time with ANYONE!

Andrew

Old 03-17-2003, 08:46 PM

if i was selling cars, i would treat everyone like they had the money on them right there to buy any car. I think thats how it should be.

Old 03-17-2003, 09:33 PM

that's a cool story. I wish I had an easier time when I was buying.

The first guy I talked to was very nice and professional, but I wasn't ready to buy. the 2nd guy at the same dealership Rosewood Infiniti in Pleasanton was horrible, wouldn't even give my wife a calculator and when she tried using the one In Microsoft windows he informed us that he was scared she was trying to hack into their system. He then pretended to go talk to a finance person and get a quote. It reminded me of the same experience I had buying a civic when I was 18.

The next dealership tried to get us to one we didn't want and 3,000 over msrp. Said he'll throw in the mats for free and take off 1,000.

It came down to just dealing through the net. I still sound like a kid, but I still got better customer service.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 03-17-2003, 09:48 PM

This story is kind of OT, but it's still a lesson to dealers ... especially with hot new cars.

When the Lexus IS300 first came out in 2000 I was all set to buy. Had everything priced out on the 'net and went to a local dealer. The salesguy had the nerve to ask for 3K over MSRP for the base model! I asked him if he was joking and he said "Listen are you going to buy or not, I'm busy" .... The next Lexus dealer said we'll give you a deal. They proceeded to offer $500 dollars off a 50K deal ... when we asked him to waive the "paperwork" feels ... totalling another 500 dollars he said "there's no way I'm going to sell this car to you for that price!".

I walked over the the bimmer dealership and walked away with a 323i within 10 minutes. I laughed when I hear just a year later they dropped the MSRP by a few thousand! I'll never even step foot in another Lexus dealership for the rest of my life. As a doctor I quickly learned to treat everyone with respect, even the real PITAs ... So far all my dealings with Infiniti have been positive so far .. cross my fingers!

Old 03-17-2003, 09:50 PM

seems like everyone has a story about rich ppl getting revenge on the @$$hole salesperson...
my friend told me that once she accompanied her friend and her friend's father to a mercedes dealer dressed in Hawaian shirts and shorts... anyhow, the salesperson actually said something to the effect of, "This is an expansive car, you sure you can afford it??"
The father got pissed, drove to the bank, withdrew $60,000 in cash and drove back to the dealer, asked to see the manager, threw the briefcase with cash in their faces and told them to count the money to see if he was able to afford it. Sure enough when they were done counting the money their attitude changed dramatically and asked them whether they'd like something to drink... at this point, the father picked up the suitcase, turned around and told the girls, "Let's go get us a BMW, girls."

Old 03-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Staff ALUMNI

And here I was, under the impression that Lexus dealers were better.[img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img] But I guess every manufacturer that has what they perceive to be the next HOT ticket, wants to revert back to their true colors, NO EXCEPTIONS![img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Like they say, 'A leopard cannot change it's spots.'

<font color=blue>Merlin</font color=blue>

Old 03-17-2003, 09:56 PM

It's not the manufacturers, it's the individual dealerships and the people that work there that cause these disparities in service.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 03-17-2003, 09:56 PM

Very true, manufacturers have little control over the delaerships.

Andrew

Old 03-17-2003, 09:58 PM

You know, I heard of a guy that walked into a Mercedes dealership dressed in ratty clothes, almost like a bum off the street. Milled around a bit, then got a salesman's attention, and asked how much one of the shiny cars cost. The salesman gave MSRP. The guy asked how low he'd go. Trying to get rid of him, the salesman gave him a lowball figure. The "bum" then whips a huge wad of 100's out of his pocket, and says, "I'll take two."

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: buying luxury vs buying nissan