G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Front Axle Click?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm gettinga more of an electrical clicking. Probably isn't the same problem that you guys are hearing, but it is coming out of my front driver's side tire well

Old 11-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your hearing a clicking sound coming from the front left of the car when your turning left. It is probably the wheel bearing. Be sure and check it for yourselves. Jack up the front of the car. Remember to use jack stands. Chock the rear wheels or apply the parking brake for safety Once the front end is off the ground. Spin the wheel. As the wheel is spinning place your hand on the spring. If you feel a vibration in the spring. Your wheel bearing is no good and has to be replaced.

G35s are RWD there are no CV joints or front axles.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Is it really a click or more of a clack/clunk?
Unless your's is an X, there's no drive shaft to the f.axle.

Compression rods are the most common front end problem.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Compression rods.... that's called a ball joint. Also ball joints don't make noises. The main purpose of a ball joint is to allow movement between the control arms and the wheels. Its a pivot.

You can test a ball joint when the wheels are off the ground. Grab the wheel at 12 and 6' o clock and move the wheel up and down. If you feel a clunk or play. Then the ball joint is no good.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Why would he GIVE them to you when he can CHARGE you for them... unless your car is still under warranty?
NO im talking about the tech's that actually work on the car, they dont charge u!!...the ones that charge u and gip u are the service people....

Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
any solutions on this? mine started this yesterday. The OP's description of it sounding like a bicycle changing gears is a perfect description. If I just turn left a little, it's a slow clicking. The more I turn left toward full lock, the faster the clicking gets. I did a brief parking lot check of the suspension and wheel well area and everything looks ok.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by trentor
any solutions on this? mine started this yesterday. The OP's description of it sounding like a bicycle changing gears is a perfect description. If I just turn left a little, it's a slow clicking. The more I turn left toward full lock, the faster the clicking gets. I did a brief parking lot check of the suspension and wheel well area and everything looks ok.
Tighten your endlinks, either take it in or do it yourself. I was having the same exact problem and I got them tightened and that did it. It's the most annoying/embarrassing damn noise when you're taking turns lol.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, I just bought a 2005 G35x and it was fine for the first 2 days but for the last 2 days there is a loud clunking noise when i'm pulling out of my driveway or a parking spot with the wheels turned all the way. It feels like the front end has universal joints not CV joints when it lurches and clunks like in an old jeep. Is this a bad front CV joint?

Old 02-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Another ancient thread, no one mentioned this but I don't have axles up front....does anyone?
Gary

Old 02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Another ancient thread, no one mentioned this but I don't have axles up front....does anyone?
Gary
The OP's talking about CV-Joints, as they are often referred to as Half Axles or Half Shafts, and they would only be on the front of a G35 that is AWD, and would not exist on the front of any RWD-only G35.

Usually when a CV joint goes bad it's because the boot on the joint is torn and most or all of the grease inside of it has leaked out and dirt and other debris had made its way into the joint and damaged the gears. Failing CV joints will usually make a clicking sound when you turn (at first). It will start to make the clicking noise all the time as the problem gets worse, and eventually the CV will just fail completely at the joint and fall(don't ever let it get this far!).

Those of us with RWD-only G35's still have CV-Joints/Axle-Shafts/Half-Axles in the rear, but they aren't as prone to failing in the same fashion as the fronts ones do in AWD/4WD or FWD cars because the rear hubs don't turn laterally and the only real motion that the CV-joints and boots need to deal with is the minimal amount of flex that our suspension is able to provide while going over bumps.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Carrera57
Hey, I just bought a 2005 G35x and it was fine for the first 2 days but for the last 2 days there is a loud clunking noise when i'm pulling out of my driveway or a parking spot with the wheels turned all the way. It feels like the front end has universal joints not CV joints when it lurches and clunks like in an old jeep. Is this a bad front CV joint?
First off sorry to hear about that. The G35x is all wheel drive so you will have cv axles all around.

If you believe it is a cv joint find yourself a nice open parking lot where you can drive in a circle. If you hear the clicking sound when the wheels are fully turned to one direction then it is the outside cv joint(closer to the wheel). If you hear the clicking sound under acceleration it is the inside cv joint (closer to the differential). Usually you can hear the clicking sound at low speeds but its not uncommon to be a going around 15mph in a circle to hear the clicking.

An obvious tell tell sign is a torn boot so if you can jack up the car and shine some light on the axle boots and if they're ripped then you must change the cv axle.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Click/knock from the front will be ARB drop links, from the rear it will be CV joints.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Been having this problem for a few months now anyone know whats the cause of it?
I have the 6mt g35 if that helps

Old 02-26-2012, 04:51 AM
Originally Posted by westbank23
Been having this problem for a few months now anyone know whats the cause of it?
I have the 6mt g35 if that helps
As i said above,check the front anti roll bar drop links, its very common for them to wear prematurely, and produce a click when going over bumps or low speed maneuvering.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Scirea
A lot of us have experienced it at some point, I had the rear axle click when changing to reverse and back, it was covered under the warranty so they fixed it.
I'm exactly experiencing this annoying click sound from the rear of the car when changing gears, especially to reverse as well. I seem to have it most of the time on first start up and the idle rev is high, if change gears it will make the click sound. But if I let the car warm up for about 2-3 minutes, the rev drops to the normal range and most times when changing gears it doesn't make the click sound. Also the next drive after the first start up and drive it doesn't make the click sound, but not every time.

I don't know what it is and I told Nissan (JDM version of course) to have a look and they couldn't find out what it is and suggested I leave the car overnight for them test it out on the first start up. If anyone has had the problem and diagnosed it before, please help. The click sound is so frustrating and annoying.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front Axle Click?