G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

WTF stupid Infiniti and their spare tire.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008 | 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by wxp-g35
i dont have brembos so i never had that happen to me. but i was very upset the first time i popped my trunk to find a donut there. not even a full size spare.. u would think infiniti would throw in a full size...
A full sized spare tire would add a ton of weight and take up lots of trunk space. If we had small tires like economy cars do (such as 185 x 15"), then it wouldn't be a big deal... but

The fact that the vehicle is made by Infiniti (or any other high-end auto manufacturer for that matter), doesn't mean it merits a full-sized spare tire. Most of the highest end cars have donuts or at least smaller-than-stock spare tires as well.. such as Aston Martins, etc.

Old 11-30-2008 | 02:22 PM
That's why I carry a tire plugging tool and a small compressor.

Old 11-30-2008 | 02:55 PM
I actually have an " instant sealer/inflater but didn't use it since I wasn't sure about the extent of the damage( if you use the sealer you won't be able to just repair the tire anymore. You will have to replace it even if it was a small nail which can be easily patched)
It turned out though that there is a crack on the inside wall and the tire is not repairable anyway:-(
I don't know how long/far you can drive on a sealed tire. The instructions don't say anything. Any one knows how long that holds?
I have ordered new tires on tirerack but it's going to take a few days before they arrive. So I'm stuck with the spare for now :-(
BTW, the rear tires look much more worn out than the fronts. Is that normal for this car due to rear wheel drive?
I have ordered a set of four but am going to only replace the rears for now.

Old 11-30-2008 | 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by ericmbnomore
BTW, the rear tires look much more worn out than the fronts. Is that normal for this car due to rear wheel drive?
yes. especially if you drive it hard.

Old 11-30-2008 | 03:01 PM
Hey, my Honda is worse. If I get a rear flat, I have to take BOTH front tires, put them on the rear, and put the rear and spare on the front.

Otherwise, the diff will be destroyed.

Oh, wait. My Honda doesn't even come with a spare

Old 11-30-2008 | 03:01 PM
Yep... it's normal for the drive wheels on any 2-wheel drive vehicle to wear out faster the the non-drive wheels.

Old 11-30-2008 | 03:10 PM
is there a aftermarket jack that i could buy that is small enough to fit in my trunk? im tired of the oem jack, its soooooo annoying trying to change my wheels or brake pads on that thing

Old 11-30-2008 | 03:35 PM
You can buy an actual floor jack and carry it around. There are some cheap 2 ton jacks that'll fit in the trunk just fine.

Old 11-30-2008 | 04:13 PM
Yeah but they are still bulky and heavy! Will take a big space out of the trunk and decrease your mpg. In addition, if it's a coupe they might not have enough clearance to go under the front of the car. You might end up having to jack up the car with the OEM jack in the front before you can put the floor jack under !

Last edited by ericmbnomore; 11-30-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2008 | 05:55 PM
G
One thing that was very frustrating was how difficult the jack was to operate. It's hard to find the jack point and it's very hard to turn the **** to lift the car. I would have been in real trouble had this happened at night.
... I hope you didn't just turn the **** on the jack... you could have used the long flathead screw driver and put it through the hole in the **** to make it easier.

Old 11-30-2008 | 06:10 PM
Yeah but they are still bulky and heavy! Will take a big space out of the trunk and decrease your mpg. In addition, if it's a coupe they might not have enough clearance to go under the front of the car. You might end up having to jack up the car with the OEM jack in the front before you can put the floor jack under !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJrp4pymk7U
A small 2 ton jack is should be roughly 30 lbs and be maybe 3x3x12 or so and can be had for less than 50 bucks.

You can get much lighter ones, at a much steeper price.

Old 11-30-2008 | 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by xx7sephiroth7xx
... I hope you didn't just turn the **** on the jack... you could have used the long flathead screw driver and put it through the hole in the **** to make it easier.
I did try that. Even after you put the flat head through the hole in the **** you have to take the flat head out of the hole and re-insert it after a 180 turn since you will hit the floor.
In my civic there was a separate handle. One end would engage the **** and at the other end(the end in your hand) could be rotated horizontally. Maybe I'm missing that handle? Do you guys have one in your car?

Old 11-30-2008 | 06:59 PM
It should be a 2 piece assembly to stick in the hole to raise the Jack.

Got a pic of what you have?

Old 11-30-2008 | 06:59 PM
Space saver spares are also lighter than a full sized spares so you are not carrying around that extra weight all the time. Be happy, some cars only offer foam as a "spare", so if you blow your tire, you're screwed.

Old 11-30-2008 | 07:01 PM
|
damm, what could i have done wrong? I didnt notice any "bolt" on the inside of the spare and im positive that the caliper was definately not letting the wheel clear. Im not sure what it may be.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WTF stupid Infiniti and their spare tire.