anyone here live in North Jersey? hows is the g35 during the winter season
My coupe drives fine in winter.

Dunlop Wintersport M3 18's

430whp + snow + winter tires= lots of fun

Old 12-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High Octane
^^^
Just curious why you think so? Blizzaks have been known to be some of the best snow tires around. I have M3's on mine, but Blizzaks were my 2nd choice.
Had Blizzaks on my first winter. They suck. Snow or dry, very disapointing traction and performance. The sidewall is like jello and kept causing the vdc to kick in for no good reason. Also not V-rated which should be a big no-no on this car.

I switched over to Dunlop M3s on stock 18s and they are amazing (as I'm sure you know). Great in snow and on dry, look good, quiet...and so on.

Blizzaks are a very popular and good tire. For minivans.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by johnhanson007
Also not V-rated which should be a big no-no on this car.
That's not true... You can indeed get Blizzaks in a whole variety of sizes that are V-Rated. Go look at the Bridgestone webpage on their site... 12 of the 18 tire sizes that they make in the Blizzak LM-22 are V-Rated, and the other 6 are H-rated.

Here's the link:

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...Product_ID=222

Who would drive faster than 130 MPH(The speed rating for an H-rated tire) in the winter of a cold-weather place anyways?... and on winter tires?.. and for 10 or more minutes?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by partyman66
That's not true... You can indeed get Blizzaks in a whole variety of sizes that are V-Rated. Go look at the Bridgestone webpage on their site... 12 of the 18 tire sizes that they make in the Blizzak LM-22 are V-Rated, and the other 6 are H-rated.

Here's the link:

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...Product_ID=222

Who would drive faster than 130 MPH(The speed rating for an H-rated tire) in the winter of a cold-weather place anyways?... and on winter tires?.. and for 10 or more minutes?
^^+1. blizzak tires are some of the best for winter snow use. u don't buy winter tires and then expect your car to drive and handle like a ferrari at 120+ mph speeds. they're designed for comfort and safety

Originally Posted by koksik86
well, i think this is a good place for my rant...

just this past week it has snowed a few inches along with rain and sub 30 degree weather. i bought a set of 17" ASA wheels with blizzak tires on them. maybe i was just expecting too much, but this car with this setup literally handles like **** in snow/icy conditions.

just the other day i was driving through an alley at crawling speed (maybe 3 mph?) and it got a little bit icy with the snow. this car just kept gliding, i couldn't believe it wouldn't stop. if i got out and pushed it the other way it would've stopped quicker. and when it comes to snow...this car is all over the place even with VDC on. stopping is pretty good in snow, but daily driving has become a nightmare.

in dry and even wet colder weather the tires are great...but when it comes to snow or ice, these are just as good if not worse than a regular set of all-seasons. definitely wouldn't buy these tires again if given the choice. and given all the hype about blizzak, i think i'll try some dunlops next year.

/rant
^^something definitely wrong with either your set-up or driving. are u flooring the car on every start or something? did u buy new or used ? what size rear did u go with?

i had zero problems with my former coupe in winter on pirelli 210's. pirelli's aren't even rated that high for winter use. now i have a bmw with pirelli sottozero's which have even stiffer sidewalls.. and still no problems with driving on snow.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah, sorry, I guess I'm not an authority to compare the two brands talked about since I've only driven with both of them for 3 years.

If looking at tirerack's pretty charts gave you all the answers, why the hell would someone ask for input on the forum?

Also, the decision to put a performance tire on your car seldom depends on whether you drive the recommended maximum suggested speeds for a given rating. Do you drive that way on your summer tires? By your logic if you don't drive 130 mph in the summer you should just be putting on all seasons in warm weather. Your G is rated at 280-300 hp - but is it always putting out that much power? No. Similarly, the rating of a tire is one measure of performance, and yeah, I want a decent handling tire in winter as well - not a sh!tty Blizzak with a sidewall so soft the vdc system thinks its slipping when it is rolling.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by johnhanson007
I want a decent handling tire in winter as well - not a sh!tty Blizzak with a sidewall so soft the vdc system thinks its slipping when it is rolling.
Stop going 130 MPH around corners in the winter and that won't happen.

Seriously though dude.. I think you just probably bought the wrong kind of Blizzak for your car. You said yourself that the Blizzak tires that you bought weren't V-rated, which means it was probably intended for a non-sport type vehicle such as a Pontiac Grand-Am or something like that... and probably a car that is lighter than a G35, thus the additional sidewall flex.

If you buy the Blizzak tire with the correct Service Rating and Speed Rating for a G35, chances are that you would have a higher opinion of them.

Comparing a lower-end Blizzak tire to a non-equivalently rated higher-end model Dunlop tire is not a fair comparison at all.

Last edited by partyman66; 12-11-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:07 AM
i live in north jersey bergen county.......i just got my g 3 days ago and i live on the top of a mountain...

i spoke to alot of random people that owned G's over the past few weeks and they all said its fine in the snow...as long as you are technically sound drivin stick...my OEMs dont help with their wider surface area...but the 3514 weight helps alot since of the good weight distribution....

where in NJ you at?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 AM
I rechecked the receipt on my old Blizzaks, they were in fact V-rated LM 22s. Which imho surprises me, i thought a sharty tire like that would be H or worse based on their performance. They were dealer installed and they put them on all their coupes, which I think is a disservice to their customers.

If you want a safe comfortable tire - get the blizzaks. If you need winter rubber for 4 - 6 months a year and don't want to drive your G like a grandma, get something better. I try my best to stay below 130, but even in winter you can have nice clear roads, and sometimes 10 minutes at 130mph just isn't enough. Especially around a corner.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by DillersG
i live in north jersey and.....i live on the top of a mountain...
neat

Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 AM
lol u makin fun of me? :-) getting up to my house this winter is def going to suck some days... boooooo

Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by DillersG
lol u makin fun of me? :-) getting up to my house this winter is def going to suck some days... boooooo
OEM or any sport tires when it gets below 40deg is scary.
It's almost like driving a big wheel.

Just to be careful but if you value your ride, minimum I would get some A/S tires but if you going to spend on tires might as well get winter tires for winter.

Just giving you a heads up from a local NJ resident

Old 12-12-2008, 12:40 AM
im such a noob..... (sucks) :-)

i thought they didnt really make good winter tires for 19s....?

i thought i was gonna have to buy "a package" online that included 18in. rims and 18in. tires to (i think) make them

Glex...since you have about 3100 posts...it sounds like you know what you really talking about but im kiiiinda straped for cash for the next 3 months (i work for a small company and cash flow is light during winter months)...

am i crazy not to get some all season tires instead of the oems that are still on my car .....i bought it used, its an 07 with16k miles...

how much are 4 pretty good all season tires....like 225 each?

Old 12-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/18-inch...-18-160-a.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/18-inch...rims-only.html

That is a nice cheap combo that won't break the bank but deals like that don't come around often.

The back tires look like you might get a season or 2 out of them

Oh yeah don't base someone's knowledge by their post count
word of advice

Old 12-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Everyone, stop acting like you drive ferraris and drive it as you would a piece of **** camaro.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by tsalameh502
Everyone, stop acting like you drive ferraris and drive it as you would a piece of **** camaro.
Why?...does your camaro drive like my dad's ferrari? That sucks for you...

people like you give the internet a bad name...like my mom always said..."if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter Coupe drivers