G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

My stock 18's are dirty and i cant clean em..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My stock 18's are dirty and i cant clean em..

i tried searching..had no luck..
anyways..2 of my wheels are filthy dirty..they have these blackish spots all over and i cannot get them off...i will post pictures tmrw (since its dark now)..but idk what to do..wax them?...i dont really wnat to paint them..but is there any good strong cleaner out?..im planning to try greased lightning tmrw..(yes i know its not good for them but hey..they look like **** now so whats the diff)..

anyway..yeah..any ideas?..from afar they look normal but up close..look like its permanant brake dust..ha

pics added:

Last edited by Greeknasty; 12-19-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
brake dust.

see my DIY on wheel refinishing.

you will not get the spots off any other way.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:00 AM
thanks for your reply..might try that if nothin else works..

Old 12-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
^ LOL....I think you have the same issue with me. Did you used wrong chemical on it? I did and left me black dripping stains on the wheels. It east through the clear coat and stay there. Thinking of repaint them myself when warm out.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two things I would try (and swear by). Armor All makes a "Chrome Wheel Cleaner". It's a spray bottle (gray bottle I believe). Spray it on, wait about 1-2 minutes, hose off and wipe with a clean towel. If there are still marks, which from your description sounds like tar spots, I'd use the second, more time consuming defense, "Mothers Mag and Aluminum Wheel Polish". This stuff got marks out of my old rims that I thought were light curb rash and makes it a lot easier to clean your rims in the future. Apply a thin layer to the wheel, let dry till it turns a little white (just like car polish) and wipe off with a clean rag. If this doesn't do the trick I usually assume I need a professional to take car of it. The Mothers polish gets tar off but you have to use a little pressure. To have a constant defense against break dust and other such contaminants I apply a very thin layer of Vasoline to the wheels after cleaning. You won't believe how easily they wipe clean a week or so later. I'd only do that to aluminum rims though, it would probably leave streaks on chrome. Let me know how it comes out and good luck!!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Just a minute, if you use the above mentioned products it will remove the
clear coat. Unless your wheels are totally wasted I'd be very carefully with
what you use. You might try putting a small amount of paint thinner on a
rag and see how it works on the black spots you're referring to, it's kinda like
tar remover. If this works, wipe it on and then off quickly shouldn't hurt the
clear coat....Good Luck!
Gary

Old 12-19-2008, 01:56 PM
get a cleaner with acid in it.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:02 PM
pics have been added guys

Old 12-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Are you sure the black spots are actually brake dust?

Some people had issues where they put an very acidic or abrasive cleaner on their wheels and it actually damaged the paint. This will leave black streaks or black spots on your rims, since there is a black primer under the paint for our rims.

If you determine that it is brake dust, and not the primer showing through... start off with less damaging measures and work your way up to more risky solvent-based cleaners until you get it off. I'd start by testing out some Meguiars NXT tech wax on a small spot where it's black. That wax is a cleaner wax, and if you scrub it in real good, it will usually remove most stains. If that doesn't work, try one of those brake dust cleaner sprays meant for rims... but make sure you spot test it, because some of them are damaging to painted rims.

Your best bet to keeping the rims looking good is to take preventative measures... always wash your rims, and dry them, and I'd recommend waxing them too.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:21 PM
It looks to me like some of the spotting might have been caused by over-spray from tire detailing. Just make sure you wipe your rims off after shining the tires.

PM sent too ... Good luck!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Try using a claybar first. DON'T use acidic cleaners, etc. as they will destroy the finish. You can try some more gentle cleaners like Wheel Cleaner from Griot's Garage, etc. but I would first try using a claybar and see if that gets the spots out. If that doesn't work, you can perhaps try something like 3M's Fine Cut Polishing Compound, but I would be very careful with that too.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
i dont knwo what the hell it is looks like baked on brake dust..no heavy duty cleaners have been used..i have used eagle one alumnum..that didnt do ****...

thanks for the replys

Old 12-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow there's a lot of retarded *** replies in this thread.

Post this in the Care & Detailing section, there are a lot of professional detailers there. As far as removing it without damaging the wheel, I would try some P21S wheel cleaner and also try an aggressive clay bar. You will really have to let the P21S sit there for a while, agitate it with a brush, let it sit again, really agitate it again and wash it off. If that doesn't work try the aggressive clay bar. If those don't work, see if anyone else in the Care & Detailing section has any suggestions and try those. If nothing works, your probably going to have to repaint them because acidic cleaners are gonna strip the finish.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Wheels still not clean....?

Greek, let us know when you get your wheels clean. Keep in mind you have
painted wheels (clearcoat) aluminum cleaner isn't going to get the job done.
You could have them steam cleaned at the local car wash, if it's brake dust
that should do the job!
Gary

Old 12-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
your rims are donezo.

dont waste your money on things that wont work.

repaint them, powdercoat them, or go aftermarket.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My stock 18's are dirty and i cant clean em..