G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help! Car won't start!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Car won't start!

I've searched a whole bunch of threads but haven't found anything.

My car didn't start on sunday morning. But it somehow started around 3pm when I went to try and start it again. Then I was out of town from monday til yesterday. I come home to try and start my car and it won't start. It won't even crank, just silence when I try to turn the car on. But the funny thing is, everything in the car works. All the electronics work perfectly, the radio, heating, dash, interior lights, headlights, taillights, gauges, etc. So I'm pretty sure it isn't the battery. I've also tried jumping it twice since yesterday with no luck.

I'm thinking ive got a bad starter or alternator? Also, the car was parked outside for a couple days straight in my driveway, I'm sure that didn't help. Didn't have space in the garage. And it was a constant 20 degrees or so outside...

I've also tried using my spare key just incase it went bad. Any suggestions?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking the cold may have had something to do with it? You tried to jump it and it didn't work? did you give it some time to charge up? If you haven't figured it out try to jump it again and wait a while..let the battery get some power

Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_sylvi
I've searched a whole bunch of threads but haven't found anything.

My car didn't start on sunday morning. But it somehow started around 3pm when I went to try and start it again. Then I was out of town from monday til yesterday. I come home to try and start my car and it won't start. It won't even crank, just silence when I try to turn the car on. But the funny thing is, everything in the car works. All the electronics work perfectly, the radio, heating, dash, interior lights, headlights, taillights, gauges, etc. So I'm pretty sure it isn't the battery. I've also tried jumping it twice since yesterday with no luck.

I'm thinking ive got a bad starter or alternator? Also, the car was parked outside for a couple days straight in my driveway, I'm sure that didn't help. Didn't have space in the garage. And it was a constant 20 degrees or so outside...

I've also tried using my spare key just incase it went bad. Any suggestions?
It really sounds like your battery is going bad

Old 01-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas froze? :P

Old 01-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spedizzo
Gas froze? :P
Hope that was a joke.

OP, is your MT or AT? Nevermind just saw it was MT.

Mine's been doing the same thing lately. Think my clutch switch is going out. I have to slam the clutch down hard for it to start...

Old 01-03-2009, 03:22 AM
I just picked up a new optima red top battery. I'm gonna put it in tomorrow and give it a shot.

If my headunit, gauges, dash, and v1 radar all light up doesn't that mean the battery is still good???

I'll also give the smashing clutch a try too!

Old 01-03-2009, 06:11 AM
I just picked up a new optima red top battery. I'm gonna put it in tomorrow and give it a shot.

If my headunit, gauges, dash, and v1 radar all light up doesn't that mean the battery is still good???

I'll also give the smashing clutch a try too!
They will light up yes, but it sounds like there isnt enough cranking amps in the battery to turn the engine over. Sounds like your battery is dead, not sure though thats all.

Last edited by xXHotelCrazyXx; 01-06-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:07 PM
if its below 30 degrees outside the car will not start until it gets warmer also if you try to start your car to many times with a bad batt u can make the key for ur car loose the program that it need to start the car try turning your head lights on and starting the car if the lights go low and arent bright then its your batt

Old 01-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you try to start it, does the engine turn over at all?

If it doesn't turn over at all, it's probably not the battery. It could be the starter or the switch that determines whether or not the clutch is engaged.

Try starting it with the car in neutral.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 PM
The engine doesn't turn over at all.

I was thinking it wasn't the battery. Does anyone know how much it would cost for a dealer to put in a new starter, assuming that was the issue?

I haven't gotten a new battery yet. So I'll let you guys know what happens as soon as I install it. Should be on monday or so...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:10 AM
The engine doesn't turn over at all.

I was thinking it wasn't the battery. Does anyone know how much it would cost for a dealer to put in a new starter, assuming that was the issue?

I haven't gotten a new battery yet. So I'll let you guys know what happens as soon as I install it. Should be on monday or so...
Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Probably not the battery. Low battery would still crank a little. Def would have cracked with the jumper cables.

Could be the clutch switch , starter, ecu. When you turn the key with the clutch pressed in does the temp compass display go blank? If so the clutch switch is working right.If not that's prob the issue, car doesn't think the clutch is pressed in.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:39 AM
where is the starter located on our G's? I was gonna see if I needed to replace it, if the battery switch didn't fix my problem...

Old 01-05-2009, 02:57 AM
My 03G Coupe had a Clutch Switch problem. Pretty much defective whenever it wanted to be. It was very random. I brought it to the dealer so many times and they thought I was crazy. inally brought it to them while it was not starting and they figured out that the clutch switch was bad, Whenever the tech would wiggle it, the car would start, but if he did not, it wouldn't. I would highly recommend checking that out first. I wasted money on rebuilding my starter, when it was not even that!

Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 AM
took the OEM battery into autozone to get it tested. turns out that thte battery was in very good shape.

now to move one... so some things that we can cross off the list are...

bad battery
bad clutch sensor
bad connections

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! Car won't start!