G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Best mod ever

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2009 | 06:40 AM
|
Best mod ever

Little background info: I have a 2005 coupe that I use as my daily driver. I have other 'toys' to satisfy the urge to go fast. When compared to other brands and models in this price range, even stock the car has always been on the loud side. Specifically road noise, especially at highway speeds. The addition of lower profile tires and some suspension mods made things worse.

I have owned the car since new and it has the following modifications: Tein 350z H Tech's, Spring mount mod, Koni's, SPL front and rear control arms, Stillen sways, 18" Enkei wheels, and a Motordyne plenum spacer. My newest mod has by far had the biggest impact on the overall driving experience of the car. Ready---- noise control..

My best mod so far is the addition of Brown Bread (same as Dynamat) in the doors, trunk and some general noise control. The difference is absolutely amazing! This mod has changed the entire driving experience in the car. This is the best $200 I have ever spent! I used the Brown Bread on the door skins, inner door panels and a few areas in the trunk. The voids in the truck lid were filled with minimum-expanding Great Stuff foam. The wheel well liners were removed and rubberized undercoat was applied.

The difference is amazing! It sounds like I have a new sound system, cell phone conversations are easy now, and long drives are much less taxing on the nerves. It is nice to close the door and hear a 'thud' instead of a clang. I highly recommend you take a weekend and work on some sound control. You will not regret it.

Last edited by wingsprint410; 03-14-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2009 | 07:43 AM
Need pics!

Old 01-30-2009 | 07:59 AM
|
Unfortunately, I did not take pictures... I should have to illustrate how easy it was to do this stuff.

Sorry.

Old 01-30-2009 | 08:21 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Great stuff....
did this with my '04

Old 01-30-2009 | 11:42 AM
why did you go with brown bread? is it cheaper than dynomat?

Old 01-30-2009 | 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by wingsprint410
Little background info: I have a 2005 coupe that I use as my daily driver. I have other 'toys' to satisfied the urge to go fast. When compared to other brands and models in this price range, even stock the car has always been on the loud side. Specifically road noise, especially at highway speeds. The addition of lower profile tires and some suspension mods made things worse.

I have owned the car since new and it has the following modifications: Tein 350z H Tech's, Spring mount mod, Koni's, SPL front and rear control arms, Stillen sways, 18" Enkei wheels, and a Motordyne plenum spacer. My newest mod has by far had the biggest impact on the overall driving experience of the car. Ready---- noise control..

My best mod so far is the addition of Brown Bread (same as Dynamat) in the doors, trunk and some general noise control. The difference is absolutely amazing! This mod has changed the entire driving experience in the car. This is the best $200 I have ever spent! I used the Brown Bread on the door skins, inner door panels and a few areas in the trunk. The voids in the truck lid were filled with minimum-expanding Great Stuff foam. The wheel well liners were removed and rubberized undercoat was applied.

The difference is amazing! It sounds like I have a new sound system, cell phone conversations are easy now, and long drives are much less taxing on the nerves. It is nice to close the door and hear a 'thud' instead of a clang. I highly recommend you take a weekend and work on some sound control. You will not regret it.
How much Brown Bread did it take you?

Originally Posted by BostonG6spd
why did you go with brown bread? is it cheaper than dynomat?
it is much cheaper.... IIRC, i've seen some members say that it's typically half the price of dynomat

Old 01-30-2009 | 03:31 PM
Heh, I would be interested but how much does it weigh? G35 is already a pig.. Don't want it any heavier..

Old 01-30-2009 | 04:32 PM
DTM
Sounds like a good solution. Can you explain a little bit more about the rubberized undercoating in the wheel well?

Thanks
-Dan

Old 01-30-2009 | 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by drive4fun
Heh, I would be interested but how much does it weigh? G35 is already a pig.. Don't want it any heavier..
I was wondering the same thing. If doing this adds 100 pounds to my car, I'll easily just deal with the noise.

Another thing is that I don't want my exhaust sound deadened at all. I already wish I could hear it better from the cabin without having to roll the windows down.

Old 01-30-2009 | 05:11 PM
B-Quiet Ultimate is 1.6mm (60mil) thick, weighs 0.35 lb/sqft
how many sqft did u use?
http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

Old 01-30-2009 | 05:26 PM
Another brand option is Elemental Designs.

I had deadened the majority of my RSX with it and it makes a huge difference! All said and done there isn't a significant amount of added weight. I figured that after putting 2-3 layers on the doors, floor, hatch lid, and entire hatch area, I only added about 60lbs. Since the weight is distributed throughout the car, you're not going to notice it like you would after putting 80lbs of subs, box, and amps in the trunk.

As soon as the weather warms up I'll be deadening the G. But I did the RSX this time of the year and don't want to deal with the cold like that again.

Old 01-30-2009 | 05:38 PM
subscribing....how many sq feet to do the G?

Old 01-30-2009 | 09:06 PM
|
How much- I used a little less than 18 sq ft of the Brown Bread. It cost less that Dynamat and is just as good.

Weight- I would be shocked if I added more that 15 lbs total to the car.

Spray undercoat- I removed the rear portion of the front plastic wheel well liners, cleaned up the surfaces to be coated with denatured alcohol. I used three cans of 3M rubberized undercoat. Make sure you mask off door hinge area on the wheel well side or undercoat will get on your door.

Last edited by wingsprint410; 01-30-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2009 | 10:07 PM
I used RAAMmat from Raam audio.
http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Only added 25 pounds to my 240sx. I'm looking forward to doing my Z soon.

Starting out

Cover with RAAMmat

Fisnished trunk with ensolite that is spray glued on top of the RAAMmat,also sold on their site

Old 01-30-2009 | 11:01 PM
I did my trunk, but I need to have the cabin done. If I have the front doors done do you think I'll notice? (just the doors)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best mod ever