G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How NOT to treat your Skyline GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How NOT to treat your Skyline GT-R

Rashman, I just went to that site... crazy vids. Apparently the need-for-speed is pretty universal!
I just saw that Supra vs. Hayabusa clip. Those bikes are lightning fast and that Supra took him by over two car lengths... The Hayabusa's 1/4 mile is in the high 9 seconds which makes that one mighty quick Supra.

G35Coupe 6MT + Nav

Old 06-24-2004, 04:01 AM

wasnt the gtr awd??

Old 06-24-2004, 05:09 AM

Yeah the GTR is AWD.
For drag racing, it would be straighforward to modify the transfer case to allow RWD during front line-lock to do the burnout, and then the driver could select AWD for the launch.

Despite the AWD, most of the traction is still coming from the rears wheels because of "squat" (weight transfer) over the back end during acceleration. That's one of the big performance advantages of RWD over FWD. So although you could line-lock the rears and spin the front tires (actually just use your parking brake if your car is FWD), it's the rears where you want to get the maximum grip.

G35Coupe 6MT + Nav

Old 06-24-2004, 08:26 AM

The guy definitely knows what he is doing. He is arabic. I found the profile of the car. It has an estimated 800 hp. Try the following link to see pictures of the car. Also, look at his house in the background. Major bling, bling!!!!!
http://www.toprpm.com/eng/features/feature_11.htm

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
2004 G35 Coupe | OB | Graphite interior | Premium and aero package | Popcharger | Z tube | Hotchkis sway bars | kinetix plenum on the way

Old 06-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok, even if this is a drag tranny with no syncro's ... a double clutch in this situation seems like it would do a world of good for the trans.

-Jon______________________
'04 C 6M/T - Laser Red/Graphite, Nav, 4 Piece Aero, Premium

Old 06-24-2004, 08:23 PM

Well i started to check out the car in detail. He also has a side mounted intercooler for his front mounted intercooler. Man these guys are crazy. And the house is a freaking castle. My god.

2004 Diamond Graphite G35 Coupe 6MT, Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

2003 Brilliant Silver G35 Sedan Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

Old 06-24-2004, 08:31 PM

Ohh also i found out which country this is. I showed it to my friend he said its in Dubai. Dubai for the middle east is like a paradise for them. They go there for the summers to have fun and all that.

2004 Diamond Graphite G35 Coupe 6MT, Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

2003 Brilliant Silver G35 Sedan Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

Old 06-24-2004, 10:06 PM

did you guys notice the big bottle behind the passanger seat?

=)

Old 06-24-2004, 11:12 PM

"There's nothing wrong with his transmission and there was nothing wrong with how he shifted or drove that car. That sound is normal for that type of tranny. "

How did you come to this conclusion? I use a similar type of transmission in the vintage corvette I race, but I have always known it as a "crashbox." It has the same qualities you are talking about and you only need a clutch for 1st. And I can tell you in all certainty, mine has never sounded like that. My father has similar transmissions in a 800hp Can-Am race car and his only sounds like that in first when he doesnt rev match, but 2 and up are smooth as hell. Also, in drag racing dont you want a fast and clean shift? This looks to me like it does neither. Then again, maybe it is just a tranny I have never seen or used before, but my experience and my gut tell me that it is not normal for any transmission to sound like that.

SCZ on my350z.com
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT | OB/Black
Premium | Aero | Splash Guards | XM
Z Tube | Pop Charger
Helix Test Pipes
Unorthodox Crank Pulley
Injen SES

Old 06-25-2004, 01:09 AM

Steve,

To answer your question: I came to that conclusion because I've heard these transmissions before, and on different occasions. So if you're correct and the sound is abnormal, then every one I've heard must have been abnormal. Either that, or maybe you're not familiar with this particular type of asynchro. No disrespect intended by that, by the way.

With regards to your vintage Vette and your dad's car, I can't comment... other than to say that there are many designs of dogboxes or "crashboxes" and I would imagine they would sound different depending on the size and number of teeth, how well you rev-matched and how fast you shifted.

Without the synchros there's nothing to grab the gear and match it to the spinning shaft so those big teeth on the gear will inevitably make noise as they engage -- even with the thicker oil that dogboxes use. I'd agree with you that because there's no synchro to match the gear speed, if you don't blip the throttle to match revs it will obviously sound worse because the gears don't have the synchromesh to help "find" the right speed. But they'll still engage no matter what, even if you don't use the clutch. And I'd agree with you that if you shift fast, it obviously wouldn't sound as bad because again the teeth are engaging right away. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that a dogbox must be shifted fast.

Anyway, here's my take on things. There are three segments on the clip: 2 runs (shot from outside), and a third little run (shot from in-car). The first two runs looked pretty solid to me. Nothing wrong there. Yes you could hear the teeth engaging when he went into first gear (both times) but like I said I think that's normal. He did not match revs perfectly but that doesn't matter at that point -- the only consequence is he makes noise. You said yourself that your dad's crashbox "sounded like that" when he didn't rev match. So if it's normal for your dad's car then it shouldn't be abnormal for the GTR, right?

If you listen to his first two runs, the gear changes are fast and there's no significant noise from the gears as he goes up through them. Just that slight whine that I'm sure you're familiar with.

Now in the third segment, that wasn't even really a run. He didn't smoke the tires etc.
I almost thought this must be a different person than the guy who did the first two runs because he drives the car away pretty gently and takes his sweet time going up through the gears. I pointed that out in my first post. Maybe it was a different driver? That's when you hear those big straightcut teeth engaging. But for that type of tranny, I think it's normal to hear that, especially with the slower shifts that the in-car camera caught in that third segment.

Anyway, thanks for your great posts in the past Steve. I've learned a few things from your experience. But I still stand by my original comments on this one.

G35Coupe 6MT + Nav

Old 06-25-2004, 02:23 AM

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. And while everyone is laughing on the side of the road at the ridiculous noise of the gearbox, the GTR goes ahead and smokes a diablo!! I'd like to see that vid.

SCZ on my350z.com
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT | OB/Black
Premium | Aero | Splash Guards | XM
Z Tube | Pop Charger
Helix Test Pipes
Unorthodox Crank Pulley
Injen SES

Old 06-25-2004, 02:32 AM

I believe that is an oil cooler rash.

nah nah nah nah nah nah nah RASHMAN!!!