G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

My G Spanked a M3 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My G Spanked a M3 today

i'm not saying FI is bad, your right it is just as bad for the life of an m3 engine, what i'm saying is that there are superchargers on the market( AA, dinan) that offer very significant power increases. i have to go to work but i'll send you guys some links when i get back.

Another thing, i'm not sure about this specific video, but i am pretty sure than an m3 outhandles a g35? I wasnt aware that they were on the level. I mean i've driven both and i didnt think there was any handling comparison, but like i said i'll do my research and get back to you guys.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:48 AM

Exactly! That's why BMW is moving to a V8 for the next M3/4. That's about all you're gonna get from from a NA 3.2 I-6. Also, if BMW can get 333 hp out of a 3.2, then Nissan should about to get the same or more out of the 3.5 VQ. I think the bump to 295 hp and 280 lb/ft torque is just the beginning. I think the VQ could safely handle 6 PSI without deterioated reliability, which yields about 330-350 RWHP. I guess time will tell for these FI guys. So far, I haven't heard of anyone blowing their engine and there are quite a number of FI 350Z and G35 on the street.

'03 G35C, 6MT, Black, Pop Charger, 18x8.5/9.5 BBS RGR, 245/275 40 Toyo T1-S, Tein S-Tech

Old 07-01-2004, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been LOTS of blown G35/350Z engines. In just about every case it was a combination of poor tuning and lack of timing retard.

--Steve

Old 07-01-2004, 04:00 PM

I give props when they are due. And YES! a FI G35 is a nice ride. And quick as well. But come on. You are comparing a coupe to a vert. You are probably racing a stock m3 that weighs 4000 pounds. You have a S/C. I own a M3 and I know that mods do not do much. Infact they are probably a waste of money. The 333hp they squeeze fromk a small inline 6 is incredible. So doing mods will do almost nothing. But do not say that a S/C m3 would get spanked. The new S/C kits for the M3 make RWHP in the 400 range. That is a nasty ride. I am sure it would not have been much of a race if you raced one of those. There is a guy that is M3forum that used to race Pro5.0. I went to the track with him and watched him rip off 12.7 passes from a BONE STOCK M3. He has recently done a few mods and he is down in the 12.4 range with software. That is on the stock 18 contis
I know that his car is not the norm, but don't think that all M3 are duds. My car is a heavy beast. A little over 3600 with a half tank of gas. My best run was a 13.4 missing third!! I recovered pretty quick, but still 13.4@104 I will go back when the weather cools off and try to get a low 13 pass. I was one of the top 5 inline preorder for a s/c. I ended up buying a truck so I passed on the charger. I kind of wished I bought it now. Personally I think that on the highway, S/c or not, a M3 would smoke a G35. I have tried countless z cars and sti and evos and they all seem to run out of steam at 130-140. The G35 is a nice ride, but you really cannot compare to a M3. Different league of car.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:04 PM

here is a story of a stock vr stock

http://216.118.109.8/m3forum/showthr...e64ce5&t=35675

Old 07-01-2004, 04:09 PM

Dude you can't get much out of a 3.2 V6, especially when the G35 3.5 can be bored out to a 4.3 with a stroker kit. While the M3 is lighter, the G has much more potential and is much more easily modable than the BMW which, for the most part has only Dinan and AC schnitzer (or however you spell it.)

Heeeeellllllloooooooooo people.......

2003.5 Black/Black 5AT Fully Loaded w/ Navi
Clear Corners / Injen CAI

Old 07-01-2004, 04:20 PM

Dinan is a rip off and AC makes products for looks mostly.

There are a ton of companies that makes parts, besides these 2. Including S/C that make alot of power with only 5 pounds of boost! I agree that most parts do almost nothing. My mufflers are suppose to be like 6hp gain! But if you want to spend the money it is out there.

I am a member of this forum because I was about to pull the trigger on a new G35 6spd coupe. I was looking at the chargers and was about to order one as soon as the car arrived. But a fellow member told me that if I really wanted a M3 I can find one. So that is what i did.

2003.5 Jet Black 6spd M3 Coupe
2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG

Old 07-02-2004, 03:53 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Dude,

Do the math 400 hp at the crank does not equal 390 RWHP! What is your background on cars, BTW? I have to question the opinion of someone who doesn't know the difference between crank hp and wheel hp.

<hr></blockquote>

You have jumped into conclusion once again. Yes, 400 at the crank != 390 RWHP. However, that is not my point. The original poster said his 1/4 mile is 12.7 (look at his signature) but this M3 poster said his FI M3 is at 12.4s. You said "Even a blown m3 will still lose." Lose in what? Lose in terms of pure raw hp produce by the engine or who's at the finish line first. All the street races I have seen is who is faster not how much HP is produced.

You made a bold statement saying a no M3, even a F/I one can beat a F/I g35. I am simply pointing that is not correct. I didn't know I had to clearly point out the time differences for you to recognize that.

I don't know about you, but when a car with less hp (the m3 here) can beat a car with more hp (G35); that's saying something. Let us just say that 0.3 second can be due to timing error. In all respect, they are equally respectable car, however you totally low balled the m3.

I may not be as experienced car as some expert here, but I try not to make extremely biased opinion. Sorry if I came out blunt. That's just me. No hard feelings.

Old 07-02-2004, 06:23 AM

I do not own either the M3 or G35. But G35 coupe has been my prime candidate on replacing my aging daily car. This is the only reason why I have been browsing this forum. Hope my opinion will be considered unbiased. Contrary to some of you, I must agree with Cookielover here.

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's probably been done many of times. There are tons of civics, SRT4s, WRXs with enough boost to take on G35c. So when the G35 gets beat people will say its only a civic or ugly and Civic driver will say G35 is overrated. "Paying extra to slap a Infiniti on a Nissan." There is always he says/she says. People are ignorant. Really no point arguing. At the end of the day its how much you earn really matters.

Of course, we will have a couple people say I had a m3 and ended up trading it in for a G35c cause its more practical. Likewise, its really how much you earn. If you were comfortable enough to own a m3 then it will be practical. Practicality depends on how much you earn too.

There's just too much hatred and emotional imbalance between drivers. People have to stomp on other people to make themselves feel better. We first have these snobby bimmer drivers who likes to look down on people because their cars are more expensive and faster. Second, we have g35c owners who's goal is to beat and M3 drivers and enjoy their suffering. That's demented, no? :-) Do you have to base your happiness on someone else's suffering? Can't you be happy just the way you are? Shrink is a good solution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an ugly world. Most people are both realistic and materialistic. It almost always come down to how much you earn. If you don't agree, you will when you get to my age. I am close to 40. I hated M3s like most of you. It happened to me quite a few times that the E46 M3s tailgated me and tried to race me. To me, those were just silly attempts from immature people doing dumb things trying to make themselves feel better about beating a better car. I never fell for them and I never even looked at them. BTW, I own a 96 993C4. This really turned me off about these M3 drivers and their cars as well. As Cookielover has previously described, similarly, I was turned off to become a G35 coupe owner after seeing numerous posts about G35C racing with other cars. But then, who cares? I'll just drive my car my own way. Maybe if I can afford a Carrera GT, I would care less about anything else. Then again, an Enzo owner may feel differently. Racing posts aside, this has been an excellent forum. It has provided me tons of information about the G35.

Old 07-02-2004, 09:28 AM

http://www.activeautowerke.com/ProjectE46M3/default.cfm

OK. For you none believers here it is. It is a little higher then the preorder price. 800 bucks more. But a small price to pay. G35 will not even be in the same league as an M3 with this kit. The G35 was never in the same class as a M3. But since you guy continue to post "kill" stories, try running one of these M3s. 440 hp with 5.5 boost
There is not a problem with the e46 engine. the 2001-2002 had a bearing failure problem, but they fixed it. My 2003.5 has seen 9000 and runs flawlessly. Anyone who says a M3 E46 engine is not built right is retarded. ANY motor that has a max HP at 8000 and a redline at 8100 is a top notch race piece. I am talking forged or billet rods, crank and forged pistons. Probably internal balanced and built to rev. High rev springs in the heads and serious headwork to flow the numbers needed to make 333 in a little 6. Trust me. I have built engines that rev to 8000+ and you need to buy the best of everything for it to stay alive. Now you talk about internal work. If you wanted to and had the money, get a set of low compression pistons installed and bump the hell out of the boost. Get a stand alone fuel system and stand back! We are talking supercar territory.
And as a final note, in the end of the day a BMW is still a BMW. And Infiniti is still an optioned Nissan. Which would you rather drive....................

2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG

Old 07-02-2004, 10:07 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with cookielover and 911, you guys are down to earth and view everything as I do =) I happen to LOVE the M3, everytime I see one or my friend's im awe'd, dunno something about it. That is exactly what I also wanna do, get an M3 and throw a active autoweres blower on it, its a beast. And dahmer, out of the e46 blower they achieved 440 hp at 7200 rpm now instead of 8k, no need to go beyond that they said. Now that's great tuning!! Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-02-2004, 10:09 AM

Cookielover,

I checked out the post on the M3 forum. The guy is yet to post his time slip. I frequent MANY boards and 1/4 mile times are useless unless you post the timeslip. I said what I said because you said the supercharger gives the M3 400 crank hp. The SC G35 with a nine pound pulley is putting down 380-400 RWHP. It doesn't add up. Maybe you were wrong about the supercharger numbers.

Dahmer,

The post you made about a stock M3 vs a stock G35 is useless. We know the M3 is the faster car STOCK. This whole thing is about a stock M3 still being faster than a blown G35 putting down +380 RWHP. I would have to see that with me own two eyes. Once again, 1/4 times are useless without slips. Don't get me wrong, the M3 is a great car, but it's not the fastest car on the planet. Anyone with money could make vitually any car faster than yours, so let's get real. You guys need to take your ego down a few notches and you'll see that. My point is that you ask what would we rather be driving on a G35 forum. Duh! Many of us, including myself could own one. Some G35 owners have Vipers and 911s as their weekend cars. It will be my next car, but their too common and really get no looks. I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of the GT-R!

'03 G35C, 6MT, Black, Pop Charger, 18x8.5/9.5 BBS RGR, 245/275 40 Toyo T1-S, Tein S-Tech

Old 07-02-2004, 01:44 PM

OK swallow your pride for one second. Look me in the eye and tell me you rather own a G35 then a M3???!!! Are you kidding? I know this is a G35 forum and your opinions are biased, but you know the truth. And to say it gets no looks????? That is the funniest thing I read today!!! G35 around here get NO looks. Z cars get NO looks. Do you want to know why? Because they are very cheap for what you get and everyone and their mothers have one. I see 5-10 daily. Some with brembos, some with wings, some with no wings, some with aftermarket rims, some with factory rims. Some tinted, some not tinted. I could sit on the side of a busy highway around here and count 3-5 in a a few hours. try doing that with with a M3. I rarely see them. Of course I do, but rarely. Maybe because you will never buy a new M3 for under 50k. Add a few options and you are approching 60k. Price makes it more exclusive alone. Alot more of the population could afford a 30-40k car compared to a 50-60k ride. Come on,. How can you even compare the 2 cars??? Try comparing to a 325 or something like that or maybe a z3. Be realistic, you may see a ton of 3 series BMWs, but not many M3s. And rarely do you see M5s.

As far as time slips? Mathews(Lee) posted his time slips all over the M3forum. Go do a search. I tell you what since you claim your heavily modded car is so fast. I will set up a good old american drag race. I will call Lee and he will make sure his car is bone stock.(let him keep his software if you are so confident) He will come on stock Conti and you can come anyway you want, Slicks, street slicks or drag radials. Just turn him a loose and run him down. We could do it for money, we could do it for bragging rights. your choice. If you want to do it for money, make it light on yourself. You will be shocked on how a stock M3 can run when a good driver is behind the wheel. if you are not in the tristate area, I apologize. But if you are and want to run your "lots" of mods car, Just let me know.

2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG

Old 07-02-2004, 02:15 PM

1. I made a choice between the G35c and M3 and chose the G35c because it was a better value and I could spend the cash difference on aftermarket parts or a new house
2. One of the reasons I chose Infiniti over BMW is:
a. Over here in Redmond, WA there is a TON of BMW's (including M3's) and not many Infiniti's (yet)
b. Infiniti is #3 in dependability, BMW is #13, even if it's under warranty, I would rather avoid trips to the dealer
c. IMHO, the G35c looks better than the M3
3. If I wanted a car purely for brand, I would have bought a Mercedes (yes, Mercedes > BMW in brand)
4. If I wanted a car purely for performance, I would have bought a corvette (I don't care for the looks and there's also a ton of these).
5. I'm not saying the M3 isn't a great car, I would be driving one right now if the G35c hadn't come out when it did

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My G Spanked a M3 today