G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Coupe and a baby?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe and a baby?

Dumb idea? Anyone in that situation? Can a baby seat fit in comfortably back there, or am I better off going for a sedan?

I just like the coupe better.

Old 06-24-2004, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Coupe and a baby?

I think it would be a hassle taking the seat in and out of the back seat on any coupe

2003 G35 Coupe 6mt Diamond Graphite
AIM= bkchang79
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/bkchang79

Old 06-24-2004, 04:15 PM

Actually, it's not too bad. A baby seat just latches into a base that's set in the car. I have a BMW 3 Series coupe right now, and it's not too much of a hassle. But, the G35 coupe has a smaller back seat. Wasn't sure if it will fit.

Old 06-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have another new born but haven't tried putting the base or the car seat in it yet since its our 2ndary family car. I would swing by a dealer and see if you could get a seat through the opening without dumping the kiddo in the process. If I get a chance I'll try it and respond. A lot depends on the carrier you use no doubt. The Infiniti site does have a list of car seats that fit the coupe....I think its called Snug Kids or something like that.

3 kids, 1 wife....1 DG/Willow G Coupe.....what more could I need?

Old 06-24-2004, 04:23 PM

Thanks. My wife has an SUV, so that is the primary baby mobile. But, if we're cruising around on a Sunday afternoon, it would be nice to take a G coupe instead of an SUV. If it doesn't work, I'll probably get the sedan.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:00 PM

I have a coupe and actually just had to put my 3yo's car seat into my coupe for an extended ride. The seat fit in no problem and as long as the seat is not all the way back and tilted as well her legs were comfortable.

If you are going to use a seat with a base and a seperate click in carrier, I would try that at a dealer. Not so much for the fit but the ergonomics of the motion to place it in the car. For me it would be tough being over 6' tall.... hope this helped.

2004 G35c 5AT/Prem Pkg/18" Tire Opt/Aero Kit/Clear Sides/Pedal Kit/Tint/Z-Tube/K&N Drop-in

Old 06-24-2004, 05:34 PM

i was in the exact situation three plus weeks ago. my wife had a baby less than six months ago and at the time i was driving a s2000. i went full five months with that car but my wife was complaining because she had to drop off our son at the sitters very early in the morning. so i finally came around selling the s, still very sad. i looked at many cars and suv, and since i am in my early twenties i was not ready to get something with four doors and plus there really aren't that many sedans that appeal to me. so started looking at coupes with large back seats. the nominees were a 3 series or the g35. i had a 01 330ci before my s and only kept it for six months or so, it really didn't fit my driving style so i opted for the g35, plus it didn't hurt that my wife works in the finance dept. for the local infiniti dealership.

anyways, getting the baby in the back with a car seat attached to a base is alot easier than i thought it would be. the seat is located behind the passenger seat, so having a tall passenger would most likely would be uncomfortable. also factor in that i only take him in my car on tuesdays and sometimes on saturday, otherwise we take my wife's suv.

in reality, the car seat is easier to put in and take out than my wife's suv, maybe because i have it down to a science now.

good luck

Old 06-24-2004, 05:47 PM

I use my coupe to carry 2 kids (1 in a convertible, the other in an infant bucket w/base). The SUV is the primary kid carrier (90%+ of the time) but the coupe is not a problem.

In all honesty, it'd suck doing it all day every day, but for occassional (for me, a few times a week) it's just fine. In reality, the biggest pitfalls of the coupe+kids are 1) lack of trunk space for gear, and 2) they touch and step and kick everything. My daughter (3.5) isn't a big fan of the coupe, because the seating position is low and she can't see out the side windows.

Fit-wise and front-seatback-wise, I think the biggest concern will be a rear-facing convertible once the kid(s) are out of the infant carrier (there's plenty of clearance for the rear facing infant seat). I'm sure it'll fit...just a matter of how far forward the pax seat will need to be.

FWIW Infiniti lists compatible carseat-types someplace on their website. I think they call it SafeKids or somesuch.

Enjoy your coupe

Old 06-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience......

FYI- we have an SUV which is our primary family car. My coupe is for emergency family transport only!

I put a newborn car seat into my G coupe, the Graco one with the base with seperate carrier that doubles as a carseat. Just remember, newborns, until they are 30# or 1 year old, have to face backward which makes putting a newborn into the backseat tough unles you're just clicking in the carrier w/ the baby inside into the base. But, even doing this, its very hard to fit the carrier between the front seat and pillar B.

But, if you were to have the carrier in and tried to put the infant in, it was doable but hard on my back b/c it was so cramped. (BTW, I didn't actually use my daughter to do this experiment, I used on of her dolls, or you can use a comparable stuffed animal).

Another problem is if you get stuck in a Walmart parking lot next to 2 cars that are cramped together, the doors won't open all the way, making insertion and extraction of the little tyke out of the G-Rocket much more difficult. I guess you could park far away from other beaters (which you probably do already anyway being the ****....oh excuse me...compulsive....no that's not it.....ummm...loving G owner you are) so you have space to open the door, also decreasing the risk for door edge dings on neighboring car paint.

Another problem with the G coupe is that since the back window is so sloped, the sun (at the right angle and time of day) will shine directly on the keiki (hawaiian for child). Unless you are training you baby to be the next Miss Hawaiian Tropic, you don't want your baby in the sun.

Lastly, you won't be able to fit a decent stroller in your G coupe unless you strap it to the roof or trunk with multi-colored bungie cords(picture that). You could probably shove one of those umbrella strollers in the trunk but with the new baby, using an umbrella stroller isn't recommended. And if you have a couple of huge JL amps, a 10" sub + enclosure and your boyscout ready-to-go-car wash-wipe off that bird kaka or waterspot cleaning kit being the "loving" G owner you are, that doesn't leave a lot of space for a stroller.

If the G is going to be a primary vehicle with intentions of family shuttling, go with the sedan. You could wait for the new 2005 sedans, they will have almost the same amount of power as the 5AT coupe plus you'll have more space, storage and personal, for your family.

doc

Old 06-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take my coupe on all of my family trips. I got it when my daughter was 6 and my son was 4 months old. That was a year ago. A sedan would probably be better but there isn't enough convenience factor to sacrifice the looks of the coupe. Install a couple of headrest monitors and you won't even know they're back there.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
G35Driver.com Business Cards

Old 06-24-2004, 07:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, its a pain in the *** to fit a baby seat in a coupe! i have a 3 month year old daughter and everytime i strap her up, i get so angry cause its so tight back there. i would of bought a sedan but i couldnt just pass on a coupe.

04 IvoryPearl Coupe 6MT
Navi | Z-tube | ClearCorners | Alum. Pedals |
Soon 2 Come -Tein Flex

Old 06-24-2004, 09:29 PM

The bottom line comes down to how often you will transport your baby in the car. I got my coupe a month before my son was born so I have transported him from birth to one yr old. However, we haul him around 90% of the time in our SUV so its not bad taking him on weekends and on trips in the coupe. That said, I would not recommend a coup for everyday driving with a baby. It is tight in the back seat and, personally, I would not want to put him back there on a daily basis.

The Infiniti LATCH works great but the rear-facing infant seat severely limits how far the passenger seat can go back and recline. If your passenger (wife?) is tall this will be a problem.

Hope that helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I die I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandmother. Not screaming in fear like the passengers in her car.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the comments, everyone. The majority of time, he's in the SUV. So, I wouldn't have in in the coupe too often. So, it may be doable.

My other primary concern, though, is that the baby can't be put in the middle of the back seat (since there's no seat there). From a safety standpoint, it's better to have them in the middle.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:10 PM

So it comes down to not buying the coupe, or selling the baby. Hmmmm, tough choice.

Old 06-25-2004, 12:48 PM
WRAH

Only old man buy the Sedan. Are you OLD! Are you admitting that death is around the corner, that you need a boost to get it up?

Buy the coupe! Make the B|tch take the kids! She can settle for 4 doors!

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murray <font color=purple>~Scored with G35Girl!!!</font color=purple>
'04 OB/GL Prem.Pkg./Sport.Pkg/Splash

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coupe and a baby?