G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe
View Poll Results: Should i buy the extended warranty?
Yes
59.26%
No
40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

A poll about extended warranty.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tt88supraman
wait... warranty won't cover valve cover leak problem? wouldn't that b under powertrain???
Warranty should cover valve cover gasket.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i guess i am going to get it because i am thinking if something happens to my car instead of being sad and upset i wont feel bad and i will say well at least they are going to fix it for free and i didn't pay for nothing
i am thinking it will pay for it self in 2 years, oh well better than to regret later i guess

Old 03-19-2009, 04:45 PM
There are no inexpensive repairs on our cars.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call around before you pull the trigger....might be cheaper at another dealership.
I purchased an extended warranty on my coupe cause I bought it USED.
Got a 3 year 36K Security Plus thru my local Nissan dealer for $1,100.
I normally do not buy extended warranties.

Good luck!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Yo,

Two months ago, I got a 4-year/48k warranty for $1726...someone on the forum helped me realize that this comes down to $1.18 day for the next four years. Not bad right? That's about the cost of a McChicken sandwich at McDonalds.

But 2 years for 1900 bucks? You should shop around!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by SVTCOBRA
Call around before you pull the trigger....might be cheaper at another dealership.
I purchased an extended warranty on my coupe cause I bought it USED.
Got a 3 year 36K Security Plus thru my local Nissan dealer for $1,100.
I normally do not buy extended warranties.

Good luck!!!
nissan warranty wouldn't cover infiniti would it?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 PM
this guy we know bought a 04 dodge (i forget which car i think) but he didnt have an extended warranty........his transmission went out.......oopssssss should of bought extended warranty

Old 03-23-2009, 08:56 PM
where did you get your warranty from? infiniti dealer?
the dealers in canada offers only 2 years of extended warranty up to 160kms i tried to talk to them about getting 3-4 years but they say infiniti doesn't have such extended warranty plan.
i will try to talk to the infiniti general customer service or somewhere like that and see why they offer it in USA and not for canadian customers..

Originally Posted by FRISCO6MT
Yo,

Two months ago, I got a 4-year/48k warranty for $1726...someone on the forum helped me realize that this comes down to $1.18 day for the next four years. Not bad right? That's about the cost of a McChicken sandwich at McDonalds.

But 2 years for 1900 bucks? You should shop around!

Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Im not going to buy one.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I recommend absolutely NOT buying the extended warranty for that price. We actually just had a big discussion about this same topic over on 6mt.net the other day.

Here are my reasons for not getting an extended warranty, ever.. on any car unless you can get it for like $500(which is unrealistic):

There's no guarantee that something major on your car will break. To me, it seems absurd to gamble $2500 for an extended warranty on every car that I buy, for peace of mind that if something breaks... the money that I already spent "in case" it broke will actually be used for something.... and if it doesn't break, I just put wasted $2500 of my hard earned money stuffing the pockets of some insurance company.

I'd rather keep that money in my investment account, drive my care, and wait and see how things turn out in terms of major repairs.... and if something major does break(remember.. that a major mechanical failure in a car is not the norm.. it's the exception, so it's not going to happen in most cases), then know that I have to spend that money and fix it. Plus.. extended warranties assume you're taking the car to a mechanic to get it fixed. For those of us who do all our own work, that's just more money we can save by doing any needed work ourselves rather than wasting it on a warranty to have it done. On top of that, there's always the chance that a warranty claim could be refused due to lack of receipts proving that you did scheduled maintenance or any other possible loophole, and there's even a possibility that certain policies could have a deductible on a claim.

Obviously insurance companies are making out on these types of deals more often than not... otherwise they wouldn't be in business. And speaking of "in business"... with today's economy and the rate of business failure being as high as they are today, I'd hate to think what would happen if one of these extended-warranty companies went bankrupt and one of us had a policy with them when that happened.

What about if you have the new car with the extended policy that you just paid $2500 for... and wreck it in an accident well before the policy duration is up(say you wreck it in 6 months to a year after getting it)? Then you've just wasted all the money on your extended warranty and will have to go get another new $2500 extended warranty policy for your new car that you get to replace the wrecked one..... F%$K THAT.

In general, Insurance only really makes sense when the cost of the policy is only a fraction of the potential value of damages that it protects you against... such as health insurance, Auto Insurance(the kind that covers accidents, etc) or homeowners insurance.... it might cost you $600 to $1700 a year for health, auto-driving, or homeowners insurance, but you're protected for up to several hundred thousand of dollars of potential damages in that year of coverage in the event that you should have a huge medical procedure or severe illness, horrific multi-car crash in which you are at fault, or your house should happen to burn down.

I don't know how many cars you've owned, or how cautious/abusive you drive or how attentive/negligent you are in terms of maintenance and upkeep on them... but for me, over my 16 years of driving and the 5 different vehicles I've owned during that time and driven into the ground(except for the current 2 that I own which are still relatively "new"), the total summation of my repair costs that would fall under the category of something covered by an extended warranty..... on all of those cars combined, would not even have come close to adding up to the amount of money it would cost me to buy even one single extended warranty policy on one of those cars.... nevermind buying it for all of them.

Ask me how I know? I keep all my receipts for all my cars and all my parts and repairs, and even have the ones from my old cars that I no longer own because I'm a car nut and find some weird nostalgic value in keeping them.

So in general... I vote a huge NO to extended warranties on cars... especially since modern day warranties are so much better than they used to be 5 or 6 years ago... at least in terms of powertrain, which is where the most expensive of all possible repairs would come from in the unlikely event of the failure of a significant powertrain component failure.

For the $2500 that you'd be spending on the extended warranty, might as well just go buy a car that's 1 or more years newer and with less miles with that money and have your factory powertrain warranty cover you for another year or more and get a nicer/newer car at the same time.

If "peace of mind" is worth that expense to you, then go ahead and get your warranty.. i'm not faulting you for doing so... but I personally would never do so because it just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 PM
The Rev Up engines and 6mt alone can put anyone over the edge for the amount of money it will cost to repair (after drivetrain warranty ends). Add a few window motors, actuators, compression rods, and CD changers and the warranty cost seems to be a bargain. ($1400-$1600 for 4yr 48K is a fair price to pay)

Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 AM
not to mention some extended warranty companies offer a full refund if you never have to use the warranty....and 60-70 a month isnt a big dip out of a pocket.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've actually had the same question, and have been calling different dealerships for quotes on 36 months/48,000 mile, 0 Deductible, and have been getting quotes around $1,477. This will carry my 2005 Coupe up to 2012/96,000 Miles with nearly everything covered (except trim and wear-and-tear items).

Lately, after researching the forums, significant problems do arise from G35s. This includes:

Sporadically over car's life:
1. Window motors (Usually $600 per visit)
2. Compression Rods (~$500 - $600 per visit)
3. Valve Cover leakage (~ $500 - $600 per visit)
4. CD player problems (~$300? per visit)

And various transmission/engine problems (which are rather major) usually occurring after 70,000 miles.

So after viewing all of this, it's probably safe to say that the Infiniti Elite Extended Warranty is worth it...

Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 PM
which dealer ship offers you 3 year warranty? i am in Canada and they don't offer anything over 2011, i am trying to fight over it now but need some proof do you have any paper work? or maybe you can give me the name and number of the dealership etc?
thank you.

Originally Posted by Uda880
I've actually had the same question, and have been calling different dealerships for quotes on 36 months/48,000 mile, 0 Deductible, and have been getting quotes around $1,477. This will carry my 2005 Coupe up to 2012/96,000 Miles with nearly everything covered (except trim and wear-and-tear items).

Lately, after researching the forums, significant problems do arise from G35s. This includes:

Sporadically over car's life:
1. Window motors (Usually $600 per visit)
2. Compression Rods (~$500 - $600 per visit)
3. Valve Cover leakage (~ $500 - $600 per visit)
4. CD player problems (~$300? per visit)

And various transmission/engine problems (which are rather major) usually occurring after 70,000 miles.

So after viewing all of this, it's probably safe to say that the Infiniti Elite Extended Warranty is worth it...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A poll about extended warranty.