G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Premium Gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The point is still being danced around.... And that point is, YES you can use 87 octane fuel WITHOUT damaging your engine. Period. Will it perform as well as it could? Nope. Because 87 octane doesnt burn as efficiently as 91. But.... it will still run and it WILL NOT become damaged.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon402
The point is still being danced around.... And that point is, YES you can use 87 octane fuel WITHOUT damaging your engine. Period. Will it perform as well as it could? Nope. Because 87 octane doesnt burn as efficiently as 91. But.... it will still run and it WILL NOT become damaged.
That's why Infinti says it can be used temporarily and you must replace it with Premium asap. They also said not to smash on the gas when on 87 fuel.

But what do they know? They're just the manufacturer, After all, the guys at g35drivers are more credible than some qualified technicians who are obviously grabbing information out of their azzes.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on now, you dont have to be an engineer in anything to know basic internal combustion engine requirements. Air, fuel, spark.... all ya need to make our motors run. Increases in any of those three areas will net great performance from the motors. Its just that simple. However conversely, decreases in any of those areas are not going to damage anything... we will just not see peak potential from our respective motors.

It has NOTHING to do with anyone from any specific web board. Its basic knowledge.

Lets put it this way... If i made Poptarts I am going to want every poptart I make taste awesome right? So, im going to recommend the best toaster to toast those poptarts so they taste the best. Right? Would I recommend a toaster that wouldnt make the poptarts taste the best? Of course I wouldnt, because I want every experience you have with my poptarts to be awesome right? However.... could a different brand toaster toast my poptarts? Yup of course they could, but they just wont taste the best.

Same thing here. The manufacturer tells you these things because they want you to have the best experience you can have with their product. So, you buy more of their product.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:10 PM
This thread is the reason you don't buy a used car. Next time lets try using water for coolant because it's "cheaper".

****, it says premium, use premium. Pointless argument. The fact that everyone is up in arms over a few measly dollars is ridiculous. If you can't afford to put the right gas in your car you should be riding a bike. Maybe then you can join a bike forum and argue with your new friends about how you lowered the PSI in your tires to get a better workout.

Nobody gives a ****, beat it.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
How much are you really saving by ditching premium? $1-2 per fill? LOL

well where im at there is about a 20-30 cent a gallon diff. 20 gallons at 2.50 isn't that much different than 20 gal. at 2.20

2.50*20=50.00 and 2.20*20=44.00 6 bux is the difference

you sir should brush on on basic math j/k

but regular in a g makes it run like **** my wife put regular in once i was pissed until it was gone. I ran it down til it says distance til empty **** then refil wit primo. back to normal

Old 05-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Not saying thats what I use, because I use premium as well. Im just saying that saying 87 octane will hurt your engine is not true. It just wont function at peak potential.
i dont think anyone said it will hurt the engine. now i did read "hear is some fact". a
study done buy some university scientists a last year so forgive the fact that i dont remember who or what university.

that the higher the octane the cleaner the fuel burns so we have 93 here in va which based on this study burns a whole hell of alot cleaner meaning more of the fuel is combusted leaving less residual that residual can build up over time. what it will do over time im sure depends on how much time and the engine. probably wont affect the vortech engine in my tahoe but in the G im sure it would have some effect if you use it all the time for the life of the vehicle.

on another note i learned from this same study that if you get you gas early in the morning its cooler and you actually get more gass for your money. because like most everything in this world it expands with heat. just like a car will have more power running with cool dense air that hot humid dry. not much difference im sure but still... so i always buy my gas in the am before it gets too hot out but im back in va so it doesnt get that hot and gas is not near as expensive as cali.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned
All you're doing is quoting the manual for the car though. Just because the manual says thats what gas you should use, doesn't mean that thats a requirement for the engine to function.
LOL, How dare I quote the manual for the car. When I can listen to some guy over the internet who obviously knows more than the Nissan Technicians. LOL

I am not arguing if its required or recommended. All I am saying is the manual clearly states 87 may be TEMPORARILY USED and must be REPLACED with PREMIUM ASAP. It also says not to SMASH on the gas while on 87 fuel. Obviously, doing so will affect the motor somehow.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by snakes1021
well where im at there is about a 20-30 cent a gallon diff. 20 gallons at 2.50 isn't that much different than 20 gal. at 2.20

2.50*20=50.00 and 2.20*20=44.00 6 bux is the difference

you sir should brush on on basic math j/k

but regular in a g makes it run like **** my wife put regular in once i was pissed until it was gone. I ran it down til it says distance til empty **** then refil wit primo. back to normal
your car has distance to empty info? what year is it? i always wanted this feature... was lookin at aftermarket ones that can provide the same info but nothing out there i could i find...

RPL will probably pump regular inside a formula 1 car.. because who needs racing fuel.... it can still run on regular right? rofl...

and most of the modern gas stations store their gas inside climate controlled tanks, so pumping your gas in the mornings will not make a difference. by the time the gas travels through the hose from the tank to your car, it will not make a difference. - courtesy of shell canada petrol

Old 05-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Alll g's with stock navi have that feature

Old 05-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned
Also, the ecu doesn't retard timing until the knock sensor detects "knocking". So your engine will knock here and there until the ecu retards the timing. So in the long run. It's no good. Which is why the manual tells you not mash on the gas when you're on regular.