G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

limited/slip rear differencial?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
limited/slip rear differencial?!?!?!

what exactly is this? is it really necessary? why does only the performance wheel and tire package come with it? can i get it separate? does it have to do with the wheels or the actual tranny and/or suspension?

Old 07-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Re: limited/slip rear differencial?!?!?!

On the stock G the LSD option puts power to the rear wheel that is not spinning if the other is spinning. It is a viscous couple type which is nice but not as good as a mechanical LSD...it's not as instant. You may have heard the term "Posi traction" which is the Chevy version. The result, for all intents and purposes, is the same.

I won't buy a car without it. Better hook up off the line, more controlled cornering, particularly when you're flooring it, better performance in wet or slippery condtions, and it leaves 2 skid marks when you peel out instead of 1.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats/ Service Engine Soon

Old 07-10-2004, 09:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Click here to learn about differentials.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

is it really necessary?

<hr></blockquote> No, but it is helpful

why does only the performance wheel and tire package come with it? can i get it separate?

<hr></blockquote> I'm pretty sure Infiniti only sells it as part of that package. But you can get an aftermarket one.

does it have to do with the wheels or the actual tranny and/or suspension?

<hr></blockquote> It deals with the transfer of power from the transmission to the wheels

2004.5 DG/G 5AT Coupe with all options
Sidemarker turnsignal mod
GroundingGear™
2003 Yamaha YZF600R

Old 07-10-2004, 11:07 AM

I'm doing the swap. It is a R-200V-LSD, you also have to change the half shafts, as they are different from those who have the standard R-200 diff., like me. If you want performance, like was stated, LSD is a must.

Old 07-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the oem VLSD swap, with how much is cost's to do, it allows far too much slip before it locks to be remotely justified by it's costs. Viscous limit slips function by allowing slip to happen so that the fluid will turn into a solid, but while you wait for that to happen, you get way to much slipping. And even when it does finally manage to lock, if you've upgraded your tires, it's all to easy for the tires to win and shear past the viscous fluid. No other mod to date embarasses me more to admit I spend money on. And I only paid $100 for a new viscous core, (but $900 total as shown below).

$100 viscous core
$100 required LSD bearings and seals
$300 required LSD stub axles
$400 installation

For only $450 more I could have gotten a Nismo LSD and gotten a system that actually benefits the car when I NEED it to. And I don't track the car, just spirited street driving.

If your truely into performance, run don't walk away from doing the mod. Buy a clutch type LSD ( Nismo or one of the Cusco's specially designed to reduce clutch noise) or push for the Quiffe.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 07-10-2004, 12:55 PM

GSEDAN35-

thanks for being so honest, as painful as it was...

im thinking of the nismo unit for my coupe.... wonder if i should try to sell my oem unit?? (2k4½ coupe, 2K miles old)'

Old 07-10-2004, 06:42 PM

Uh... That's QUAIFE, not Quiffe! :-))

An open differential sends power to the drive wheel with the least amount of traction. If you corner hard, and one of your drive wheels lifts off the ground, your stock diff sends all the power to the hovering wheel. An LSD sends power to the wheel with the most power. If you corner hard, and your inside wheel lifts off the ground, the LSD sends power to the outside wheel, the one with the most traction. An LSD can make quite a difference in the way your car powers out of a corner!

Look at a Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing (ATB) differential. The Quaife ATB doesn't use clutches, nor viscous fluid: It uses gears. It's bullet-proof, even in racing conditions. It has a forever guarantee, even under racing conditions, even if the unit is sold and re-sold umpteen times. I had one put on my '95 5mt Maxima SE, and it made a HUGE difference.

Quaife is just about the best differential money can buy, but... the last time I heard, they did not have one designed/ready for the G35 yet. Don't know where they are in development now, but plan to spend around $1,500 for their ATB... if they ever get them done and ready to ship.

'03 G35s 5AT, Garnet Fire/Willow
Staggered 18" SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03
Eibach Springs/Sways, Stillen 2-pc BBK
Stillen Intake & SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust

Old 07-10-2004, 09:16 PM

Ever think that its going full throttle through the turn thats getting you pulled over and not your differential???

Luv My G

Old 07-11-2004, 11:42 AM

Look like queef

|04'G35c 6mt| R.I.P 03'Is300 Boosted|