Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Weather worthyness

Just so we're clear:

1. RWD + snow tires > FWD
2. FWD + snow tires > AWD
3. RWD + snow tires > AWD + performance tires
4. Drivetrain makes no difference when braking in snow.
5. ABS brakes are inferior to normal brakes in heavy snow.

Buying a big, heavy SUV with ABS brakes and performance tires is almost the worst snow vehicle configuration you can have. Ask anyone who's taken a Cayenne skiing without changing tires. It infuriates me that so many rich men put their wives in these huge luxury SUVs with, at best, all-season tires and tell them that they're safe in snow. These are exactly the people who are going to kill me when I'm stopped at an intersection and they plow into me from behind, their stupid front-mounted homicide-bars decapitating me while the ABS brakes on their 5500 pound behemoth spaz and fail. And you know what my murderer is going to say to the police afterward? "I don't know what happened, I have all-wheel drive!" Grr. Unless you're trekking through the jungle or towing a boat with your entire family in back, skip the poseur SUV, suck it up and buy a damn minivan. Then put 2 snow tires on the front during winter. 4 tires is better, but even just 2 is safer than AWD with nothing.

Sorry, didn't originally intend to get into a rant, I was just reminded of a prior near-accident. Back to the G: all-seasons are fine on plowed roads if you drive sensibly, but snow tires are a necessity if you plan on driving in the middle of a storm. The stock Michelin Pilots are dangerous in any cold weather, even on dry roads unless you're very careful until the rubber warms up.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:44 PM
No idea whats going on
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weather worthyness

I live in Maryland which is basically the same weather you have. I purchased my car (coupe 6mt) in January of this year and didn't really have a problem with it in the little snow that we had in Jan. and Feb. A little slippage every now and then but nothing too serious. Definately would not choose the EVO but to each their own.