G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Do you change your oil every 3750 miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
for those with the 0w-30, why 0w? just asking
0W30 is the only viscosity that German Castrol is made in. There is basically almost no difference between the same oil in a 5W30 and a 0W30 anyways, and you would only notice the lower number when the motor was extremely cold in the winter.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
change it every 5000 miles; auto tranny; eneos synthetic.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:35 AM
All Infiniti owners should try German Castrol at least once in their G35 during their lifetime. I like it so much that I actually had all the blood in my body drained out and replaced through a German Castrol 0W30 blood transfusion. Now I'm able to run a lot faster, eat less, and last longer in bed with the ladies while producing a lower quantity of harmful C02 and my body also gradually emits a soothing and effervescent flowery smell that makes all people want to be my friends.

Thanks German Castrol!

Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My M5 called for oil changes every 15,000 miles using synthetic oil. I don't see why the VQ would be much different looking at the fact it revs less and makes a lot less power. I do my oil changes on the G "as required", but not by the manual. I top it off every once in a while, and I have my oil analyzed by Black Stone Labs. Changing your oil too soon will actually cause more wear because you are not letting the oil have enough time to property bond to the metal. I had an article on it but I can't seem to find it now. Most European brands (Audi, BMW, MB, Porsche, Fiat, Skoda, etc.) call for oil changes every 10,000 miles, some going as far as 20k. And whoever does their oil changes by color, please stop doing that. Color of the oil tells you nothing about its viscosity or its ability to protect the engine. In fact, many oils go dark after just having 1% pollutants in them. The oil does not need to be changed until it's about 8% polluted. I believe Mobil did a test with their synthetic oil where they ran the engine with the same oil for over 100,000 miles and were barely able to get it up to 3 or 4%. If I find this article I will post it.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
for those with the 0w-30, why 0w? just asking
the 0w refers to the weight of that oil at 32 degrees F.

0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 are all the same oil once they are heated up: a 30 weight. the only difference is when its cold outside, the 0W will be the thinnest, and the 10W will be thicker.

0W would be for a very cold climate.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Every 6250 miles or one year on Amsoil 0W30 and Amsoil EA filter (it could go much longer). Anyone in doubt, do a UOA, that's the only way to know for sure how your oil is doing in your car, in your region, with your driving.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
Changing your oil too soon will actually cause more wear because you are not letting the oil have enough time to property bond to the metal.
Not even close to true.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
mobile 1 with wix filter every 7k which is usually every 7-8 weeks

alot of high way driving, and here and there driving , all for work

if you are changing your syn oil at 3-5k your wasting your money

dino juice will easily do 5k

oil is made way better than it was 30 years ago, there are many more additives

the oil companies know people dont change their oil at 3k....

Old 06-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Not even close to true.
Ok Mr. Engineer, instead of posting a stupid response to my comment, maybe you should elaborate on why my statement is "not even close to true".

My FACTS.

"Title: Extended Oil Drain Intervals - Conservation of Resources Or Reduction of Engine Life (Part Ii)"

There are millions of miles of oil analysis that not only prove short duration changes increase wear but also result in a lack of additive activation in the motor. If you own a Jiffy Lube then I would expect you to subscribe to the "3,000 mile Mentality" myth.

Oil additives are activated by heat and pressure. Due to the additives having to hold up over time i.e. longer than 10,000 miles the formulations take a certain period of time to become active in protecting the motor. Draining the oil at lets say 3,000 miles simply means the additives have just become active at the point you are draining your oil! In other words you are increasing wear by about 500% doing 3,000 mile drain intervals!

Oils that carry the extended drain ratings such as 506.01, 507.00 etc mean that the additives are formulated to remain active for periods up to 2 years, 40,000 kms or 640 hours of usage. Oils like Mobil 1 0w40 are formulated to withstand 400F sump temps WITHOUT breaking down and losing viscosity. Furthermore the oils cannot break down due to the PAO makeup of the oil. These oils do not rely on elastomers like the conventional oils do. This means that the oil can fully protect your motor at any temperature without the concern of thermal break-down and thinning out of grade.

If you doubt the 10K oil change intervals perform an oil sample at 1,000 miles. Most cars with a fresh sump of oil will peak out at the 1,000 mile mark. After that the wear metals may increase by only 5-10% over the course of 10,000 miles! Nearly 90% of the engine wear occurs in the first 1,000 miles on an oil change! Increasing oil change frequency increases the duration your engine spends in the activation period of the additives and greatly increases the damage in your motor from failing to follow the guidelines of the manufacturer.

Just looking at iron in a VW motor typical readings are around 20-35 ppm after 15,000 miles of use maximum on a motor that has more than 60,000 miles. The oil filter is not capable of filtering this much metal simply because the wear metals are so small they can't be filtered from the oil. Also because there is so little wear metal you do not get wear as a result of the metal being suspended in the oil.

Dispersants require time to bond to the wear metals and byproducts in your engine oil. As byproducts such as soot (gasoline or diesel make soot just different sizes which discolor the oil) are created additives coat them and prevent them from clumping and becoming larger. Typical soot particles in diesel oil are in the nanometer range in terms of size 10 times smaller than what any bypass filter can even capture which is rated at 2 microns absolute. Your oil filter in your motor is rated at capturing particles in the 7 micron range with only a 75% first pass rating...Bottom line is your car would last forever if you change the oil every 20,000 miles and NEVER replace the oil filter simply because your motor is not making enough metal or by-products to ever get captured! Oils especially those for diesels can handle upwards of 8% soot, that my friend is a LOT of soot! To put that in perspective a typical motor after 25,000 miles without an oil change or filter change will only have 1% soot in the oil. This oil will appear tar black yet the oil still has 80% of its rated levels of protection remaining!

Most oils are limited by time in the sump rather than miles due to sulfur in the fuel. Most gasoline motors can safely go 2 years between changes when using quality oils formulated for extended drains such as Mobil 1 0w40 and Truck and SUV 5w40. These oils along with those sold as VOW 506.01 have very high TBN ratings that neutralize acid formation for upwards of two years (1 year in diesels due to higher sulfur content which causes the acids).

Here's the deal, forget the myths about frequent oil changes and basing your perceptions on how the oil looks. The best advice is use a quality oil and drain it at the specified interval. The worst thing you can do to a modern car is over maintain it, yes this is possible due to the very specific regimen that VW engineers figured out to keep your car running at peak performance with maximum durability.

Thanks for reading.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Here in Florida, I use 0W/40 Mobile 1 with changes between 6-7,000 miles.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in California, LA, I use regular dino stuff and do changes around 4k-5k.
just changed to mobil 1 syn cause i was getting lazy. planning to do about 6-7k changes. any suggestions??

Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
the dumbass dealer says every 5k with synthetic

im gonna do 7k-8k on my synthetic

Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Agreed...

Old 06-02-2009, 11:01 PM
someone let me know if im wrong. aren't most oil filters only ment to go up to 5k. meaning people who are waiting longer are acctually doing damage because the oil just bypasses the filter. i change my oil and filter every 3500-4k and i run mobil 1, but i know plenty of people who do a filter change inbetween oil changes (7-10k) to extend the life of the oil. just wondering what you guys think.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by fresh_06'G35
someone let me know if im wrong. aren't most oil filters only ment to go up to 5k. meaning people who are waiting longer are acctually doing damage because the oil just bypasses the filter. i change my oil and filter every 3500-4k and i run mobil 1, but i know plenty of people who do a filter change inbetween oil changes (7-10k) to extend the life of the oil. just wondering what you guys think.
read the big *** article I posted a few posts up about what the filter does and what it can and can't filter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you change your oil every 3750 miles?