G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New G35 coupe or used BMW M3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New G35 coupe or used BMW M3?

Planning on spending a lot on mods? If so the G is the way to go. The M isn't mod friendly. Drive them both. The M blows the G away in a straight. Steering feel is about even IMO. The M's chassis is a bit better, but I believe on a flat, smooth surface you'd keep even with it through the twisties in a G. The 350Z is only 4 seconds behind it on the Nurburgring, which says a lot given the nature of that track...

If you haven't test driven both, do so before making a descision. The G already handles pretty much as well at the limit IMO, except the Bimmer stays much more planted over bumps. Without FI, the M3 will OWN the G35 and most anything else in a straight line. Build quality is indubitably better on the M. Engine reliability=?. If you're going to put on over 100k miles in a hurry, that'd give me pause. The '01s blew up too many times too for comfort IMO.
M3=Better interior, better build quality, much more power, better braking, more balanced overall chassis (over bumps while cornering hard is where you really feel the difference), but possibly explosive....
G35=Better looking, equal handling (save hard cornering over bumps), equal steering feel, probably better mechanical reliability, with much more potential for modification, both cosmetic and performance, with much less power stock and worse interior build quality.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually what i have read, the G35 coupe (6mt) stops about 2-3 feet short than the M3

-------------------------------------------------

Old 07-23-2004, 06:12 AM

How much money do you have? If you keep both for 3 yrs, the G probably won't cost an extra dime. Any performance mods you get are purely for your own enjoyment. FI doesn't necessarily void your warranty-you can get the dealer to install a supercharger or TT(like Grubbs Infiniti). On the other hand, I bet a 3 yr old M3 will being coming into a fix or repair daily(FORD) period. Taking it to a dealer often for repair would drive me insane. I wanted something that was going to work without question(or fixed free) for 3 yrs. You'll get that with the G. Read on the BMW forums and see if people have any repair issues with a 2-3 y.o. M3. BTW, the dealer where we first test drove the G had 1998 Mercedes SL 550 Convertible for $35,000, about the same as the G(original price in 1998 was about $100,000). It rattled, had old plastic, and was not near the car that the G was. I sure would've hated to take the depreciation hit on that one! Good luck-only you can decide, but for us, it was the G all the way. PS, you should also ask this question on a BMW board to get their take as well.

Old 07-23-2004, 08:30 AM

Well, I'm not going to be modding much. Nothing on the engine, just exterior mods, like tints, wheels, etc...

A new M3 is really WAY out of my budget. I'm stretching my funds as it is by spending 35-36K. I figure you only live once, and if you have the chancec for your dream car, go for it.

The one thing that really really bothers me is the reliability. It pretty much comes down to that. I'm thinking about going to BMW and getting an extension on the warranty (costs around $1600 for 4 years, 60K additional). I think that would give me the peace of mind in getting the M3.

For the G35 on the other hand, my brother put it perfectly. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE BUYING A NEW CAR. Knowing that its yours, and nobody else touched it, is a great feeling.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ICYG35C on 07/23/04 05:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-23-2004, 08:36 AM

I was thinking about posting on the BMW boards, but many of those guys are extremely stuck up. Its like saying G35 and M3 in the same sentence is a sin or something.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:30 AM

If the M3 is your dream car you should get that. Otherwise you'll always wonder what it might have been like to own an M3.
For me, the GT-R has been my dream car for so long, I had to get it's spiritual successor (G coupe), even if they only shared the Skyline name in Japan.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=purple>2004 G35 Coupe Diamond Graphite/Graphite 5AT</font color=purple>
Premium, Nav., 18" Wheels, Z-Xtreme Hyper Grounding Cables,
K&N filter, Clear Corners, 350Z Aluminum Pedals,
Sony Ericsson HCB-30

Old 07-23-2004, 10:44 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The G35 coupe was my dream car and so I got it. However, if the M3 is your dream car, then get it. We only live once right so make the most of it. The G-coupe is fun and a great car but an M is much better in every way.

04 Coupe Auto/DG/Prem/Nav/Perf

Old 07-23-2004, 12:05 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The one thing that really really bothers me is the reliability. It pretty much comes down to that. I'm thinking about going to BMW and getting an extension on the warranty (costs around $1600 for 4 years, 60K additional). I think that would give me the peace of mind in getting the M3.

For the G35 on the other hand, my brother put it perfectly. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE BUYING A NEW CAR. Knowing that its yours, and nobody else touched it, is a great feeling.

<hr></blockquote>

If the $1600 4/60K warranty covers everything I would definitely recommend it. Having owned a 3 series for 5 years (pre owned, one yr under original warranty, 2 under certified p/o limited warranty), you'll probably come out ahead, especially with the M3, given its reputation for blown engines. Even if it doesn't do that though, you can be pretty sure you'll have all sorts of things go south on it, and BMW parts and service are stupid expensive.

If it were me deciding, I'd still get the G. Aside from the reliability issues (which are still a major PITA even when they're fixed free), I've heard the M3's ride is pretty punishing (I've never driven one though). I live in NYC so that would not be a good combination.

As to "there's nothing like a new car", some of the certified pre-owned cars are astonishingly new-like. My '95 BMW, bought c/p/o in '98 with 30K miles on it was so close to mint looking that many people thought it was brand new. As long as the price isn't ridiculous (last time I checked c/p/o 3 series prices they were) it's a great way to get a squeaky clean, warrantied, low mileage used car.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:13 PM

I've got to do a little more research on the extended warranty, but if thats the case, I'm currently leaning towards the M3.

Now, I have to find one at a price that's right... I was checking out KBB.com and there's a big difference between 2001 and 2002 models.

This one just sold a couple of days ago for 36,500. Good price in my opinion...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...3&aff=national

Old 07-23-2004, 12:27 PM

My dilemma was between the '04 G coupe and the '04 M3. Price difference was about 20K comparably equipped (I got VPP on the coupe.) The power is absolutely amazing in the M3. This may be an unpopular statement here but there is no comparison in straight line performance. I took a 30 MPH on ramp at around 65 and there was a lot left. If there wasn't a new M3 coming out in '05 or '06 (depends on who you ask) I would have probably gotten the M3 despite the price difference (and my not so great experience with the G sedan I had at the time.) However, 50K+ for a car that would be considered an 'old' model in 1 or 2 years didn't sit too well with me.

Having had the g coupe now for about 5 months, my decision would be much harder. If you do get the M, get an extended warranty and read the fine print very carefully.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:28 PM

If you want stick, M3 WITHOUT A DOUBT. I realllly wanted an M3, but since it was my first car (and my parents paid for it) they wanted me to get auto, so the only preowned M3s I could look at were 2002s, which is what I had my mind set on, but then he said he wants something brand new and although he said if I really wanted to I could get a new M3, I felt it would be better if I started off on a little less of a car and I would feel better if when I get the m3 I can contribute something to the payments. I honestly cant find a single thing better that the g35 coupe has over the m3, apart from reliability. I would trade my coupe for an m3 any day of the week lol. If you haven't test driven one, go test drive it and your decision will be obvious. Good look though.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:48 PM

I'm currently in the exact situation you are. But I'm looking at new or slightly used M3. I currently have a black 03 coupe and I think I just got a bad one out of the batch, it stays at the dealership and my issues still are not fixed. If you go with the M3, check the build date. It seems if the build date was in 2001 you're guaranteed to have engine problems, so I would not recommend a 2002. I'd really hate to give up my car because I love the look, but I don't think it could handle the mods I want to do, as for the M3 you really don't need to do any mods.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:34 PM

Unless you get an extended warranty, parts will be a nightmare. Since M cars are built in somewhat limited quantities, parts are going to be even worse. A friend of mine bought an 850i in 95' when the car was just coming out of warranty. The brake job was 3600 bucks!

Old 07-23-2004, 05:25 PM

also which is higher on repairs and insurance? something else to think about. i almost bought a m3 also.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:09 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ICYG35C "I was thinking about posting on the BMW boards, but many of those guys are extremely stuck up. Its like saying G35 and M3 in the same sentence is a sin or something. " I feel you, I know from first hand experience lol..

Also the SMG was almost a full second slower than the manual to 100 MPH, just like the auto coupe or sedan compared to stick is close up until 100 then its over a second faster than the auto. But witht he SMG you will pull those times consistantly. Man M3's are sick, but also G35's with FI or even nicely modded makes it such a tough decision.

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New G35 coupe or used BMW M3?