G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dont Buy Cheap Tires...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn87
Haha Ya i had T1Rs when I had my rims, but I sold those last week.

These cheapos were some Hercules tires, a 'sub brand' of Goodyear.

I am going to replace them with the new Hankook summer performance tires.

The stock 04 is 225/45 and 245/45. Maybe the new ones are running the 225/50 but i going to try the stock fitment first.
I have the Hankook Ventus High performance tires on my Coupe and I can still notice the VDC kicking in on tight cornering. I also have the proper sizes for my car. Other than that, I am quite happy with the tires, and the price is unbelieveable. I was able to get them through a local wholesale outfit that distributes to tirekingdom etc for $93 a tire (17s)

Old 07-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
thank you to the guy who showed us how to find the date of the tires.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems real fishy to me. I don't know how tires can cause your abs to be constantly on. Even if they are not correct stock height equally. I have gone the plus 1 , plus 2 route with atleast a dozen cars half had abs and never ever an abs issue. not all the tires were top shelf either. I think you need so more opinions.......

for the record I tink the Kuhmos are the best bang for buck there is. Very inexpensive had them on my 500+hp 93 MR2 turbo

Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the biggest myth of our cars ever. Having staggered tires does not cause the abs to go crazy.

How do you think people run huge drag slicks with normal fronts or even small fronts? Because it works fine.

Everyone told me that i'll have problems when i went to wider rims and 245/45 front and 275/45 rear but 2 years later and not a single issue. No VDC, traction control, ANY issues at all.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:08 AM
sorry to hear that man... now i know never buy cheap tires!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 AM
No reason to skimp on your rubber. Definitely not worth it.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:05 PM
I will never go cheap on my tires again. Working at a tire shop for a while I can definitely tell the differences in quality and compound of the tire. If you doubts compare the inner walls and the sidewall stiffness of Kumho compared to Michelin. I had Falken 512 on my car and they sucked the sidewall is just too weak. Got sick of them and went w/ Michelin and yes they make a difference specially grips at high speed turns, traction, ride quality, and road noise. BFG is not cheap, they are owned by Michelin.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am having the all season Michelins put on tomorrow..about a grand for all 4 shipped which was painful but there are not many all season options.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Premier Member

Well let me explain to you WHY you have the problem since no one else seems to answer this.

#1 reason is not because you have a sensor problem or because they are cheap tires. It is because your size on the front vs the rear is so far off in % that it is causing the ABS system to go nuts.

You need to have the front and rear tires match the same size in overall diameter (height) to not mess it up.

See attachment. Your cars tires up front vs the rear are over 2.7% difference in height. That is huge. Get it under 2% and you will be dong better, get it under 1% and you will even be better.

Do this. Put some 255/40/18s on the rear and it will fix your problem guaranteed. The difference is .02% front to rear if you do this size on the rear.

Originally Posted by Shawn87
Well... it finally happened when I though I could go the cheap route which ended up causing me more problems... As some of you might have read my other post about "New Tires - ABS Problems" I recently bought a new set of tires for the G. Each tire was stamped correctly, 225/45R18 and 245/45R18. After I got the new tires, my ABS was activating at every stop as if I were on ice. I took the car to the dealership to have the ECU flashed, except mine didnt need an update. They then proceeded to check all my wheel sensors, which were fine. They took my car on a road test and hooked up a unit to measure the speed of my wheels, when they found that my front wheels were spinning 3km/h faster than my rear wheels. We then measured the diameter of my rear tires compared to one on the lot, and wouldn't you know it, my rear is more like a 245/50 rather than a 245/45. I guess this is what happens when you buy cheap tires that arent manufactured to spec.

I have to get new tires today :S.

Attached Thumbnails Dont Buy Cheap Tires...-tires1.gif  
Old 08-21-2009, 05:14 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Well let me explain to you WHY you have the problem since no one else seems to answer this.

#1 reason is not because you have a sensor problem or because they are cheap tires. It is because your size on the front vs the rear is so far off in % that it is causing the ABS system to go nuts.

You need to have the front and rear tires match the same size in overall diameter (height) to not mess it up.

See attachment. Your cars tires up front vs the rear are over 2.7% difference in height. That is huge. Get it under 2% and you will be dong better, get it under 1% and you will even be better.

Do this. Put some 255/40/18s on the rear and it will fix your problem guaranteed. The difference is .02% front to rear if you do this size on the rear.
225/45 245/45 is oem 18 size. And putting 255 on a 8inch width rim is not safe.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Premier Member

255 on a 8 inch rim is perfectly safe.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
245 is max on an 8 rim
255 is max on a 8.5 rim

Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 PM
I drive my G with Hankook Ventus V12 evo and no VDC light even I drive hard.

It is V shape that grip is good and also good at raining season. S1 evo is for best grip also. (I dont know if they sell it in USA)

so get Hankook tires.

I have OEM 19s.

VDC problem is all depends on size lol.

(I got mine for under $500 for all 4 tires.)

Old 08-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by bocatrip
I have the Hankook Ventus High performance tires on my Coupe and I can still notice the VDC kicking in on tight cornering. I also have the proper sizes for my car. Other than that, I am quite happy with the tires, and the price is unbelieveable. I was able to get them through a local wholesale outfit that distributes to tirekingdom etc for $93 a tire (17s)
I think you have Hankook Ventus v12 evo tires (its for like more rainning season type due to V shape, which is not for like "driving hard")

You should have bought S1 evo (I am sure that they sell them) for good grip and good cornering. S1 noble is the best tire for winding but do not sell in here USA.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kidtronix
For 18's my recommendation is Continental's ContiExtremeContact all-season tires. $147 each (tirerack.com) and you get a FREE TomTom if you buy all four.

They are hands down the best bang for the buck I've EVER experienced in a tire. I just purchased two news ones for my rear winter wheels a couple hours ago. Great traction in all elements, tons of grip laterally, and they really put the edge further out than you will probably ever need. Such a great tire.

GO BUY SOME FOR YOUR 18's—sell the TomTom—take all the extra money and blow it on an upgrade somewhere else on your car!

did you drive it in our indiana snow? my g wouldn't even move out of the driveway with our snow...it just spun.

I might be interested in grabbing some of those for my winter rims if it means i can drive it in the winter. I'm not sure with the supercharger and 6 puck clutch though. lol

In reguards to the tire size question: I have stock front size and 2" larger diameter rear size. The little tire thingy said i'm 8% off from my fronts and i would have problems. So far, no problems at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dont Buy Cheap Tires...