G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Rear wiper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2003 | 04:27 PM
|
Rear wiper

I noticed there is no rear wiper on the G as compared to the Z. I have a 300ZX which has a rear wiper, but at higher speeds there is enough air flow over the rear window to keep the rain water off.

I have a G35 on order, hopefully will be here in Jul.

How is the airflow over the rear window on the G. I have test driven one but it wasn't raining. Is there enough airflow to keep rain water from collecting on the window or is the slope of the window high enough?

Just looking for thoughts from those who have driven in all sorts of weather.

Old 03-31-2003 | 05:03 PM
Re: Rear wiper

Hmm...guess what? The JDM models have the rear wiper, on the sedan at least....not sure about coupe.

Red/Canadian

Old 03-31-2003 | 05:16 PM

Didn't have any problems with it during the intense rain in Cali a few weeks ago. The rear window seems to have enough angle to stop build up. About the only issue I've had with it is that there are no Defroster lines in it because the Antenna is built into it. So defrosting can be a bugger some mornings. Other than that, nada. Hope that helps.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 03-31-2003 | 05:28 PM

Drove through a couple rainstorms and never saw a drop on the back window...also had the sunroof completely open while on the freeway to SF one weekend during a storm...not a drop came inside the car...my friend was quite impressed.

Old 03-31-2003 | 05:42 PM
G SQUAD

What the hell?? Ok so let me get this straight there is no rear window defroster/heater in a car that has heated seats?? And the sunroof defies gravity?? I dont get it.

Old 03-31-2003 | 05:46 PM
|

I can see no water coming in through the sunroof because of the amount and speed of air going over the roofline.

I didn't realize the rear window does not have a defroster. What do you use to clear a foggy rear window?
Don't the mirrors have heaters in them?

Old 03-31-2003 | 05:47 PM

I have no issues w/ the defroster...but then again...I've only had to use it once since I got my G in November (San Diego + garaged parking).

And yes...I'm not making up the driving in the rain storm w/ my sunroof all the way open...it was definitely a trip...we were going about 60-65 mph on I-580 (?) through the storm.

Old 03-31-2003 | 06:14 PM

There is definitely a rear defroster, I think what other person meant that there aren't, em, "defroster lines" built into the window, for lack of the technical term. There are definitely horizontal lines of some sort there, but I'm not knowledgable enough to confirm or deny that they play a role in defrosting or are just the antenna.

And I'm fine with the rear defroster's performance. The front defroster is pretty slow though, and useless without a big blast of a/c.

-Jack

Black obsidian / graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 03-31-2003 | 06:17 PM
|

OK, thanks. There are no lines, but there is a defroster

Old 03-31-2003 | 07:00 PM

how can there be a defroster and no lines? i think those horizontal lines are defrosters. when your back window is foggy next time, turn on the defroster button on your console, and you will see rear window being cleared up near the lines first. or that could just be air blowing into the back window and some heat accumulating near the lines because of the none smooth surface.

-----

G35-Forum.com

Old 03-31-2003 | 07:18 PM

Sorry guys that's what they told me at the dealership when I bought the car. I asked if the lines in the rear window were for the defogging system. They told that the lines were for the built in antenna. I was never able to find out how the rear defroster work. One thing that I do know is that when I've used it in the past it does not seem to defrost like a normal one, starting at the lines and moving outward. Oh well I'll ask next time I'm over there. We all know that Sales people are soooo knowledgeable so I'll ask someone in the service dept. Peace.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 03-31-2003 | 07:20 PM

i saw someone mentioned the driving in the rain with sunroof open...has anyone seen the z4 commercial where the guy is driving in a storm with the top down and the inside stayed dry? that was pretty cool as well.

Old 03-31-2003 | 10:37 PM

The lines in the rear window are the defroster and the diversity antenna.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 03-31-2003 | 11:30 PM

If the lines in the rear window are also for the antena, what is the little box hanging beside/behind the rear-view mirror? I thought that it was the antena. At least some of the lines in the rear window are definitely defrosters - they worked great for me through the Canadian winter.

Old 04-01-2003 | 12:25 PM

I think that box is for sensing the light for auto-dimming mirrors.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear wiper