G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

am i being screwed over?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am i being screwed over?

well my car is still in the shop for the engine stalls on my 5AT. now the dealership siad that they have discovered what the problem is: the mass air flow sensor.

however, they are saying that the filter from my AEM cai is causing the problem; that perhapse an over oiling of the filter by aem is causing oil to coat the wire in the MAF and when it burns off it leaves a residue, which in turn disables the MAF from being able to sense how much air is going into the engine.

they justified this by saying that when they put my cai on a different MAF that it caused the other (new) maf to go bad as well. but i dont' see how they could have replicated that situation, since i had my cai installed for about a month before it happened to me...while they've only had my car for a week, with only a couple days of actual testing.

ok, so now, the dealership says that since "the cai filter" is causing the problem, the car's warrenty does not cover the replacement MAF, and that i have to shell out about $489 + service charges for them "figuring out the problem" and then installing the new MAF. then they say that i should battle it out with AEM (for them to reimburse me).

so i think i'm pretty much getting f'ed over. any suggestions on how to deal with them would be greatly appreaciated. i know many of you are very knowledgable.

thanks in advance,
Ben

2004 DG 5AT coupe / AEM cai / clear corners / JDM badges

Old 07-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: am i being screwed over?

its pretty much impossible for them to replicate the problem because the oil will drain out in about 1-2 days after "over-oiling"...and you say its been a month?? yeah, i think they're BSing you... ask them to show you in person...??
good luck...

04 / BO / G / aero / splash / prem / perf / cc / 22%tint
z-tube / k&n drop-in / Eclipse AVN / side-blinker mod

Old 07-27-2004, 01:25 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are trying to tell you that they destroyed ANOTHER maf trying to replicate the problem?
BS
Most folks can't even get the dealer to admit a car rattles or pings......much less to destroy a perfectly good part in the process of trying to prove a customer wrong.

'04 G35X Graphite/graphite, NAV, wood, premium

Old 07-27-2004, 02:33 PM
G SQUAD

Just letting you know that a CAI can cause a bad MAF sensor. Just be careful, you might actually be stuck with a bill.

John

The car is coming...

'04 DG Coupe 6mt / Graphite Interior
Premium Pkg. with Navigation
Splash Guards, Trunk mat
ETA: July 29, 2004

Old 07-27-2004, 02:45 PM

how could it cause a bad maf sensor?
-Ben

Old 07-27-2004, 02:47 PM

oiled filters absolutely can cause maf sensors to fail and those maf sensors are expensive things.

however it is extremely doubtful that they replicated the problem with another part. but you should know that by looking at the sensor (and its very delicate exposed wires) they most certainly could tell if it was all gummed up.

k&n filters also have the same issue. if you go to their webpage they discuss it. naturaully they say don't look to us if your maf is all oiled over and nasty, its not our fault, must be something else wrong with your car!

Old 07-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Common problem with oil cotton filters. Most Manufacturers [GM, Ford, MB] have TSB warning that they will not cover the MAF damaged from non oem filters.

"Subject: A/T Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or SES Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter -- 2004 and Prior Cars and Lt Duty Trucks and 2003-2004 HUMMER H2
Message #: VSS20040056

Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-013 will be available in SI on March 18, 2004."The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur........"

Need a microscope to see the fine sensor damage.

When ever you modify you leave your self wide open.

Old 07-27-2004, 04:11 PM

Ok...ok....sorry to hijack the post but now that I have the problem with my popcharger Im paranoid. Does anyone make an aftermarket maf for the G35, because if so, I'm buying one tomorrow and keeping the stocker in the trunk "just incase".

2003.5 G Coupe premium. 6MT Black/black
JWT/Z-tube UR pulley set (chrome)

Old 07-27-2004, 04:30 PM

EX250, lol now that is a bit paranoid! but even if an aftermarket maf does exist for the g35, it won't be cheap - and i'd rather have an OE part for a maf anyway.

Old 07-27-2004, 04:51 PM

the stock maf is about $490.00 (pos) grumble grumble...
don't hijack my post!!! hahaha :-p

-Ben

[thanks for all the info so far..]

Old 07-27-2004, 04:54 PM

I'm with some of the others so far: These oil-based filters can cause the very thing that the dealership is claiming. I also question that they reproduced it in such a short time (especially without re-oiling the filter!), but if that is, in fact, the problem then reproduced or not it's still a case of SOOL (**** Out Of Luck). If these filters have a history of this type of damage (they do) and your damage cannot be contributed to something else, then it looks like they've fullfilled their obligation as far as showing that the damage is most likely the result of the oil-based filter. Unless you can provide evidence to the contrary, then I don't believe you have a lot of room to move on this issue.

'05 IP(or ?) 6MT... ...Never too soon to think about modifications!!

Old 07-27-2004, 05:22 PM

ok...if itwas in fact due to the oil from the filter...wouldnt this problem have shown up much earlier? ie not a month after installation?

-Ben

Old 07-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i re-oiled my RSAkimoto air filter from my accord, i hung the filter up overnight in the bathtub... isnt that what you guys usually do?? well, at least, its what you SHOULD do... just to be on the safe side.

04 / BO / G / aero / splash / prem / perf / cc / 22%tint
z-tube / k&n drop-in / Eclipse AVN / side-blinker mod

Old 07-27-2004, 11:42 PM

oh no, it can take some time.

Old 07-28-2004, 03:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The MAF assembly also contains the ambient air thermistor which can also get coated supplying inaccurate readings.

All they have to do is wipe [with white paper towel] the MAF and air passage/TB looking for the tell tale color [for those that change back to oem for services] ........odd holes.

Believe a general warning all points communication has already gone out to dealers. Be on the lookout for oil.......changed cats, weird non oem tubes and plenums.........flashed ecu.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: am i being screwed over?