G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Service Engine Soon (SES) light and Computer Reset

Old 07-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Service Engine Soon (SES) light and Computer Reset

Last night I was driving home and my 05 coupe with 65K just turns off going 70mph. The Service Engine Soon light (not the Check Engine light) and the VCD light went on. So I pull over car is still off, I turn key to off position and all lights go off, then I turn car on and it fires up fine, all lights are off except the Service Engine Soon light. I drove car home, felt fine, and this morning going to work also felt fine but the SES light still on. If I take to dealership im sure will charge aleast 100 just to look at it...should I just reset computer and see if comes back on?

Saw this on another post:

Basic ECU Reset

Operations Procedures:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” (NOT start) and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 seconds.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone. If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Remember, timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU. You may even need someone's help to do this correctly.

Is this the right way to reset the computer? Any advice?? Thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by mario24601:
djvillin602 (07-20-2016), J D (08-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
take it to an autozone, they should pull the codes for free and you can see if it's anything worth worrying about. is ur car stock?

The following 2 users liked this post by elayman:
J D (08-29-2021), MikeWilly (08-31-2020)
Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Stock for most part, put Z tube about a year ago and Stillen exhaust about 2 years ago.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got this light too. Service Engine Soon...on my navi it states "Malfunction, possible emission control problem"

Old 07-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Been reading more past threads...sounds like should do a reset and see if it comes back. Can someone confirm that the notes I posted in the first post is the correct way to do a reset...I remember in my old car all I had to do was disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect...anyone actually done a reset? How?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mario24601
Last night I was driving home and my 05 coupe with 65K just turns off going 70mph. The Service Engine Soon light (not the Check Engine light) and the VCD light went on. So I pull over car is still off, I turn key to off position and all lights go off, then I turn car on and it fires up fine, all lights are off except the Service Engine Soon light. I drove car home, felt fine, and this morning going to work also felt fine but the SES light still on. If I take to dealership im sure will charge aleast 100 just to look at it...should I just reset computer and see if comes back on?

Basic ECU Reset

Operations Procedures:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” (NOT start) and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone. If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Remember, timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU. You may even need someone's help to do this correctly.

Yes, this is the correct procedure. I've done it several times.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, this is the correct way. I just did it now and my SES light has not come back.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having an issue with my 05 G35 coupe. A couple of days ago I was driving and I literally could feel my car lose all the power. My service engine soon light came on and my car (automatic) wouldn't shift gears; my RPMs were increasing as my speed did but wouldn't shift. I took it to a mechanic and he said it was putting out codes for my "Front Brake Pressure Switch and my Transmission Pressure Switch". I took it to a Transmission specialtist and he said it's not my tranny, its something to do with the computer. I did the full Factory (SES) light and computer reset. The light turned off and i was back to driving normal for about 3 minutes, but then kicked back on. I'm not sure what else to do.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Check the battery voltage at idle and get it load tested first to make sure the battery isn't dying.

From there, check all codes.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Check the battery voltage at idle and get it load tested first to make sure the battery isn't dying.

From there, check all codes.
I just checked the battery voltage and im sitting at about 22-23 Volts.....

Old 11-18-2016, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by drewdrewww
i just checked the battery voltage and im sitting at about 22-23 volts.....
12-13v **

Old 01-15-2018, 08:24 PM
You forgot 2 step

Originally Posted by mario24601
Last night I was driving home and my 05 coupe with 65K just turns off going 70mph. The Service Engine Soon light (not the Check Engine light) and the VCD light went on. So I pull over car is still off, I turn key to off position and all lights go off, then I turn car on and it fires up fine, all lights are off except the Service Engine Soon light. I drove car home, felt fine, and this morning going to work also felt fine but the SES light still on. If I take to dealership im sure will charge aleast 100 just to look ait...should I just reset computer and see if comes back on?

Basic ECU Reset

Operations Procedures:

After step 7 you have to wait 10 seconds then depress the pedal for 10 seconds

Old 08-31-2020, 04:46 PM
95 Nissan Pathfinder WD21 5 speed 4wd
Originally Posted by elayman
take it to an autozone, they should pull the codes for free and you can see if it's anything worth worrying about. is ur car stock?
AutoZone employee, can confirm. Also hate OBD2 vehicles, found this Googling for a customer if similar to Honda's maintenance req'd square that turns orange at mileage intervals lol. SES and CEL are two different systems on some Asian vehicles.