G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Does ur 6MT Rattle at idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2004 | 10:12 AM
|
Does ur 6MT Rattle at idle

I now have a little over 11K on my coupe and when I took it in for new axles, I figured I would tell them about this rattling noise I have at idle after the car is warm. It has been going on for a while, but figured....next time I bring the car in...etc. When I brought the car in, I told them the problem, I said it sounded like the throw out bearing, give it a look. Needless to say, they come back to me saying I need a new clutch. Right away his tone was as if it was my fault. I stopped him right there saying that I have driven stick for 10 years and on my last truck, I got 130K out of the original clutch (not that I would expect to get that out of the G). I told him I was the only one to drive the car, didn't learn to drive stick on it etc....which basically shut him up. But he hinted to the fact that if I had a few more hundred miles on the car (over 12K), I would have had to pay for it. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! !! I understand the clutch is a wear and tear item but give me a break. These service "managers" take people for idiots!
Anyway, just wanted to give everyone the heads up b/c if you hear the rattle at idle, take it in right away. They tend to think that one of the teeth on the clutch broke off.
I'll post another one to let ya know what the problem was when I get my car back...hopefully today!

Quick recap of the problem:
After the car is driven for a while and fully warm, what sounds like the throw out bearing rattles. (Sounds like coins in a tin can). When you depress the clutch, the noise goes away.
Actual Problem & Solution: TBD

2003 6MT Black Coupe, Premium Pkg. w/ Aero
20% tint all around, Aluminum Pedals

Old 07-30-2004 | 10:22 AM
Re: Does ur 6MT Rattle at idle

I think almost all G 6MT's sound like this.......????

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 07-30-2004 | 10:37 AM

Do a search on my old posts. @ 10K my shifting got very very heavy feeling so I had my tranny fluid dumped and changed. The metal that came out of the pan was disgusting, however, after that the clicking went away. I especially heard it against walls (like drive throughs or concrete medians) but I've yet to hear it again and I'm now at 16.5K.

2003.5 G Coupe premium. 6MT Black/black
JWT/Z-tube UR pulley set (chrome)

Old 07-30-2004 | 11:05 AM

Okay here's my question. When my car is idle I hear a sound that sounds like air coming out of the car and when I push the clutch in it goes away. Now if I hold the clutch in and release it quick it makes a popping sound. Maybe a clicking sound is a better description. Is this normal? Should I hear a difference from when I hold the clutch in and release it? The dealer tried to tell me that it was normal. But when I release it quick I hear a loud clicking noise. I also had a noise if I was driving in first gear for like 40ft and when I come to stop I hit the clutch in and CLICK!!! I'm so pissed. What do you guys this this is? I also have the axle clicking sounds which the dealer claims to have fixed last time but it's still not fixed. My dealer always says nothing is wrong so I need to tell them what is wrong when I bring it in.

Old 07-30-2004 | 11:20 AM

I have a 04 6MT with 3200 Miles...

I called consumer affairs which then got a call from a "manager" from consumer affairs who actually owned a 03 6MT and has the same noises from tranny/clutch!!!! He called some "technical" people he knew and they confirmed that noise is totally normal and you will hear it more in enclosed enviorment. Noise should not get any louder over years of driving. They said that due to the high level of performance parts and engr the tranny makes this noise. They know about it and they said it is perffectly normal. Same on 350Z. They said with Air off and radio off you can hear it in car somewhat. They said no plans to change tranny to make it quieter. Performance vs. quiet... I dunno which is better... i tend to lean for performance since I bought a performance car.... but that said I don't want this noise to be to loud.

The sound you hear is in a close enviornment... like a garage or at a drive up window... it sounds like marbles in a can. If you throw the clutch in the sound will go away cause you are not spinning the throw out bearing or gears in tranny. ALL cars will make this noise with clutch out and car in neutral...question is how much noise is normal. I would think you should not hear in car "to much" with windows up and air/radio off.

Ever try this... while it is at idle turn it off... you will hear the noise ... sounds like a diesel engine as the engine comes to a stop... that is the same noise you are hearing while engine is running. Try thowing in clutch and then turning off car... i bet you will hear nothing.

How loud is your noise?

Old 07-30-2004 | 11:35 AM
|

The noise is fairly loud. I don't smoke in my car so I normally pull into a parking lot when I feel the urge. Sometimes I let it idle, when I do and I am standing next to the car, I can hear it. If I didn't know better, I would say it's the motor, but when you really listen and pay attention, you can hear it come from the middle of the car where the tranny lies. I don't remember it making this noise when I first got the car or took it in for service at 3K. I can definately hear it inside the car, even with the radio on at low volume. My biggest concern is I have a real problem with the dealer doing a major repair like this. I feel that after a car leaves the factory, once someone touches the major components, it will never be the same. I know it's mostly in my head, but whatever, just my gut! I've asked another guy from this forum and he said he never heard such a sound on his 6MT.

In addition, the car just doesn't seem as fast as it once was! I know I got used to it, but it doesn't seem to have the same amount of pull and acceleration it had.

Old 07-30-2004 | 11:42 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I think almost all G 6MT's sound like this.......????

<hr></blockquote>I disagree. I've never heard any other 6mt drivers mention this problem. I've got 19k+ miles and have never heard a rattle.

04, TB/W, Nav, Aero, 6MT, etc...

Old 07-30-2004 | 02:22 PM

No. 2800 miles.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 07-30-2004 | 02:56 PM

I disagree....with your disagree......
Every G MT I have seen ....the throw out bearings sound like marbles when the clutch is out.....
Many owners on this board have said the same thing.

Old 07-30-2004 | 04:32 PM
|

THE VERDICT!!!!!

Defective Pressure Plate BUSTED!!!!! I will post again to let ya know what it sounds like when I get home from the dealer. If it's quiet, I would advise everyone who thinks the sound is normal to check it out!

Old 07-30-2004 | 04:45 PM

Can't argue with that!!!
LOL

Old 07-30-2004 | 05:07 PM

yea, i just took my car in and told them the same thing. they said its a normal noise (their top-technician) since it was a performance vehicle. i told them that was BS and no car ever sounds like that(especially since you pay $35K and its embarassing) unless the throwout bearing has gone. in diesel's case, the pressure plate problee busted do to that. since the dealer was joined with the porsche dealer, i told them to start up a few of their porsches in front of me to see if they rattled too(surely that shut them up) and the tech said, "it dont really matter, your tranny is covered, if it blows up, then u get a new one free"...since i have no problems shifting or watever, i'll let time tell. i've said this b4 and i'll say it again, if we as a community did something productive (like writing and bitching to infiniti of america instead of bitching on forums) then maybe we too can get something done for us like the 350Z's have been getting. this should not be a normal noise.

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra
Bone Stock...to be continued...
"You kill mah brodah, now I kill you!" - some old kung-fu flick

Old 07-30-2004 | 09:56 PM

for everyone who has this problem, do you have the 03 or 04? i hear 03's had more problems because being the first model year, there were a few bugs...i might be buying used and if the 03's seem to have more problems than the 04's...i think i'll get the 04.

Old 07-30-2004 | 10:03 PM
|

Mine is an 03. Well I got my baby back and the major noise is gone. There is still a slight noise that is barely audible and does go away when the clutch is depressed. No where near the noise that it was making before. So I guess we can say there will be some slight noise, but if you can hear it distinctly from outside the car, and it is very apparent (meaning you don't have to try to listen for it), then you have a busted pressure plate like me!
Thanks for the input!

Old 07-30-2004 | 11:50 PM

my G rattles at idle, but only after driving for a long period of time...it actually STOPS rattling as soon as i clutch it...it sounds way worse then it seems....my friends are starting to say, "dude wtf is wrong wit ur car?" hmmm...maybe i should bring this up next check up

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does ur 6MT Rattle at idle