G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Knocking sound from the rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Thier a few other items to check.

The rear axle splines, generally will make a clicking noise.

The universal joints, usually happens when accelerating and de accelerating.

Rear differential bushings (may see some oil/grease on cover and housing). Hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsomer
I know this may sound stupid...have you checked that the jack is secured in its place? I had the same sound...checked everywhere in the trunk. Turned out the jack had come loose. Tightened it into place - no more sound.
Yeah, I did check that. Also, I had taken everything out of the thunk. The only thing that was left in the trunk was the Bose amp and I still got the clunking noise. The trunk liner, jack, spare tire, everything was removed. I made sure the Bose amp was tight.

So this weekend I'll get my hydraulic jack, jack up the car, and take out the swaybar rain or shine. (local weather says there is chance of rain)

Old 06-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am subscribed to this thread. Please update with any info you find.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
It's the right side panel in my trunk, one of the mounting feet no longer has the isolating "foam thingy" on it and it seems to be the source of the sound. there is no sound with my panels removed. There is a very audible difference with the panel in place. I know how to provoke the noise (exactly what road to drive on and the speed to drive over it) and I'm much happier now that I know my noise is not suspension related

Old 06-14-2010, 03:26 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Had same prob ,...for mine it was a lose bolt from the rear spring mounth it may seem solid but check it.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i get that same sunroof noise.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Mission failure. ****! I had a 14mm socket but it wasn't deep enough to fit. I know I had a set of deep sockets, but I couldn't find the 14mm socket. I'm gonna buy a new set and try again this weekend. I'll also check my spring mount and make sure everything is tight. There is soo much **** down there it's hard to get around some stuff.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
would like to hear the solution...

Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM
I gave up. I tried to get the 2 nuts off the ends of the swaybar, but they were rusted and I couldn't get them to budge. It also didn't help that the car wasn't that high off the ground and I was on a creeper. I didn't have good room to turn the wrench. I've got some ramps, so I guess I will try with that. Stay tuned...(for the third time ).

Is there a DIY on removing/replacing the sway bar? It would help me in taking out only the required nuts. I saw that there was a mud guard where the bushing for the sway bar is. I think I'll need to remove that then I can remove the bushing for the sway bar.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by surma884
Is there a DIY on removing/replacing the sway bar? It would help me in taking out only the required nuts. I saw that there was a mud guard where the bushing for the sway bar is. I think I'll need to remove that then I can remove the bushing for the sway bar.
Replacing either sway bar is easy. I was replacing the exhaust at the time as well so that was already removed, not sure if its required to remove the exhaust.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Replacing either sway bar is easy. I was replacing the exhaust at the time as well so that was already removed, not sure if its required to remove the exhaust.
The exhaust probably doesn't need to be removed. I'm sure you can weave the swaybar out once all the bolts are out.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far in this thread I've heard to check the following. Can anyone confirm that this was or was not the issue? I have the same problem, and it's very very annoying. Happens when I accelerate/slow down and over the speed bumps in my neighborhood.

Endlinks
Rear Brushings
Rear Shocks
Rear Bearings
Rear Axel Spines
Universal Joints
Trunk Panels
Rear Sprint Mount

I removed everything spare tire related out of my trunk yesterday, issue still happens. I'm going to remove the panels today after work and peek around.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Any updates on this? I've got the same suspension rattling problem. On my beater, the whole suspension rattled, and and clanked. Replaced the sway bar end links and all was good.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have had the same problem on my 06 5AT, and now on my 06 6MT. It is worst on the 6MT. I do not think this has something to do with the transmission though. I have been told that it was the rear axle, they need to be re-greased and torqued within specs. Also might be the sway bars, anyhow I am taking it to Nissan this coming up wednesday to get this annoying noise taken care of. I you are within your factory warranty, dealership will take care of you, if not the axle grease and torque is about

Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may have the answer guys. I bought my 2005 G35 coupe brand new and this evening got in the back seat and discovered that if you have a third brake light in your rear window, it could be the housing hitting the glass. I tried to remove the brake light and saw that it is very loose. Probably gonna need to take some things apart to fix, but i hear that same rattle all the time. I thought it was my rear seat back had some loose parts at first but found it wasnt that after I drove with the backseat forward. Gonna test it out by having someone ride in the back seat and holding it still..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Knocking sound from the rear