G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Southeast Residents - Need travel advisory!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southeast Residents - Need travel advisory!!

Before anyone says "why didnt you just post this in the Southeast forum??" I'll just answer that and say that I figured I would get a lot more responses in the general forum from people down the entire coast..

That being out of the way, my family is going on vacation this coming week -- 7 AM Saturday flight out of Newark to Fort Meyers (to go to Naples) for a couple days then driving up to Jacksonville to see family and flying back next Saturday.

Now, I know Bonnie is already making her way up the coastline and should be North of Newark by Friday night. But they're saying the Charley will be around Northern NC-Southern VA on Saturday and making its way up the coastline. Do you guys think my flight will even take off in the morning or will we be delayed possibly until Sunday morning?

I really don't feel like flying through a hurricane and I doubt they would even take off if its really bad. What do the FL, GA, SC, NC residents think? I'm sure you guys are much more experienced with this matter then us Jerseyans. Hopefully it'll go out to sea beforehand and we can have a safe trip. I also hope Charley doesnt come across Central Jersey cause my G doesnt have a garage to sit in all week.....thats not good.

Oh well, any news you guys have heard would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot..

Jeff - Look for me in the black G
2004.5 G35 Coupe
5AT / Black on Black / Premium / Splash / ClearCorners

Old 08-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Southeast Residents - Need travel advisory!!

I live in NC, and have lived on the coast for 18 years.

I'm thinking they'll reroute your flight around the storm if necessary. Sometimes, depending on the plane, they can just fly over it. I think by the time that Bonnie gets to Newark it'll be all rain, which good pilots should have no problems with.

I would expect a delay, but nothing too serious.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:17 PM

Looks borderline. The edge of the storm looks to be just south of Jersey. You'll probably take off, bear W, SW, right around the nastiness. The real nastiness is indicated where you see the hatch marks in the center. That's danger. The circle around the hatched portion is just bad, but not too bad for an Airbus. You've also got a big front that will block and tackle, but if you have to go through that front then you may not be going anywhere. Too soon to tell. You'll know Friday at 6pm by looking at the TAF, or maybe even by noon.
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats

322685-hpc_48_fcst.gif

Old 08-12-2004, 04:20 PM

The Prog I posted is valid 7 a.m. Saturday morning (8 a.m. your time). Commercial planes cannot fly through cyclones and if there is a convective Sigmet you will not even take off. If it's just scattered thunderstorms as indicated by the R with the arrow then you'll just divert around them or circle until the pass. The stationary front you see, if it sags right over Ft Myers, may prevent them from being able to hold until they pass. Florida is tricky like that. You need to be able to take off and land. Worst case scenario, they bump you to a Saturday afternoon or evening departure. Planning trips for departure in the a.m. is always smarter.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5/Crawford Cats

Old 08-12-2004, 04:43 PM

Thanks for all the great info so quickly. I hope it doesnt affect us too much...i guess a few hour delay and flying SW first wouldnt be too bad..

2004.5 G35 Coupe

Old 08-12-2004, 05:11 PM

After noon on Friday check that link I posted and click on the TAF tab. Enter the letter K followed by the three digit airport identifier of where you are coming from and going to and I'll decode it for you.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:09 PM

Central FL here, Do not plan on flying down here until late Sat. or even Sun. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2004, 10:00 AM

We've changed plans. We're now trying to get an early Saturday flight to Ft. Lauderdale because they said Charley should really hit the west coast but not so much the east. We'll see what happens..

2004.5 G35 Coupe