G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is your G making a lot of road noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your G making a lot of road noise?

When I first got my G at around 28k miles, I didn't notice it, but after a while, it started making some road noise and I dismissed it as the road being rough and all, but the noise got progressively worse after a while. Turns out, the alignment on the driver side was way off and the tread wear was uneven so the tire was making noises.

After I got the alignment and new tires, it felt like it quited down for a bit, and then I am starting to notice it again and it's constantly bothering me and I always try to listen for the noise. I can hear the noise, but I am not sure if it's normal.

When you guys cruise on a nicely paved highway or local road, is your G silent in terms of road contact noise (forget the awesome exhaust note, I don't mind that one) ?

By the way, my car has 38k miles on it. Do you think this might be something that's covered under warranty? My car's 2006 5AT.

Any inputs are appreciated.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 AM
After you got your new tires did you get it balanced? Did you get an alignment. That "roaring" road noise you hear is very likely to be the same problem you had previously. I would go get an alignment immediately if I were you. Call your local Nissan dealer to schedule an appointment. Infiniti charges double for the same work. RIPOFF.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the input.

I went to the good years auto service center and got the car aligned. Right after that, I put on new tires and I believe the mounting also includes balancing(hopefully it did). I got the mounting done at a ghetto place where they do it for $20 bucks and I am just hoping that wasn't where it went wrong.

How much would the dealers charge to look at the car and see what the problem is? I really have no extra cash to drop on a car repair and that's why I've been putting this off. ARGGHH..

Old 11-02-2009, 02:38 AM
I'm sure they will look at it for free. Bring it to Nissan rather then to the Infiniti Stealership. Nissan probably will probably do a better job as well. But if it's the same noise as you heard before, I'm afraid your front tires are cupped again.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by atn_chargers
I'm sure they will look at it for free. Bring it to Nissan rather then to the Infiniti Stealership. Nissan probably will probably do a better job as well. But if it's the same noise as you heard before, I'm afraid your front tires are cupped again.
well, it's only been about a week since I got the alignment and new tires, so hopefully the tires are still in good shape with no uneven wears.

I went to the nissan dealer like you suggested and the guy was really nice to tell me that it might be a wheel bearing issue if I have that sound after alignment and it's covered under powertrain warranty. I didn't think it would, so I didn't even think about going to infiniti dealer.

So first thing tomorrow morning, I guess I will make an appointment with infiniti to have them look at it.

By the way, Thanks for your advice. Always gotta start somewhere!

Do they offer loaner cars? My car is 06 with 38k miles and it might still have some warranty left on it (I don't know if this matters)

Old 11-03-2009, 12:50 AM
No problem buddy. I'm glad it fell under the warranty department. They do offer loaner cars. That pretty crazy because mine is an 06 with 38K too lol. Took mine to Nissan today, they had the alignment done. But they said the that it is only a temporary fix and that the road noise will still be noticeable. Guess it's time for new tires.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:16 AM
No problem buddy. I'm glad it fell under the warranty department. They do offer loaner cars. That pretty crazy because mine is an 06 with 38K too lol. Took mine to Nissan today, they had the alignment done. But they said the that it is only a temporary fix and that the road noise will still be noticeable. Guess it's time for new tires.
what a coincidence. I called the infiniti and I got it set up for Friday morning with a loaner. Hopefully I will be driving around more peacefully than how it is now. It's just been so annoying that I almost considered selling it off to carmax for $18k..

Good luck with yours too buddy!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:11 AM
So wait a minute? So the road noise that you're experiencing now is the same exact noise as your heard before? That can't be right because if it was a wheel bearing problem, it would be more of a humming noise, rather than the roaring noise you're hearing. Something doesn't seem right.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:00 AM
So wait a minute? So the road noise that you're experiencing now is the same exact noise as your heard before? That can't be right because if it was a wheel bearing problem, it would be more of a humming noise, rather than the roaring noise you're hearing. Something doesn't seem right.
well, the noise subsided after getting the alignment and new tires, but it's still there and I can definitely hear it at all speeds. I don't think it's a humming noise, just a roaring noise that comes and goes every time the wheel makes the full rotation. Hopefully they will find out what the problem is if it's not the bad alignment or the wheel bearing. I am not even sure what else it could be since I am not a mechanic. I just wish that it's something that can be fixed once and for all.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:07 AM
Yeah, it's a really annoying problem. My tires are practically new, I hate to have to replace them. But the roaring noise is usually your tires being cupped. I'm very sure that if it was a wheel bearing problem it would be more like a humming sound. But go to the dealer and update me on the problem. If it is the wheel bearing, I'll try to take my car in and have them look at that as well, since I'm experiencing the same noise.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 AM
yah, will keep you updated on this thing. Hopefully it's something they can find.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
your tires get louder once they wear out.

You could be experiencing that.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by JOKER
your tires get louder once they wear out.

You could be experiencing that.
well, I just put new tires on about 200 miles ago, so it must be soething other than the tire and the tire wear must have been the result of the issue I am trying to find.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
try loud music

it completely eliminates the road noise in most cases.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by JOKER
try loud music

it completely eliminates the road noise in most cases.
I like to roll down the window instead, but as we are inching towards wintry weather soon, I won't be able to do that. Loud music would be more annoying than the tire noise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is your G making a lot of road noise?