G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Uneven tire wear???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2009 | 11:00 AM
|
Uneven tire wear???

I'm interested in buying a 06 g35 coupe preferably certified but I've been reading reviews and seen a lot of complaints about uneven tire wear. Some of the owners in the reviews even say they're forced to change their tires every 10k miles. Do anybody know any details about this??? Is this a problem with all G35's??? Can this be corrected with a cambering kit???

Old 11-17-2009 | 11:13 AM
If the G35 you're buying hasn't been in an accident and the alignment is set to OEM specs tire wear shouldn't be an issue. Even the rear tires should last more than 10K miles if you have some control over your right foot....
Gary

Old 11-17-2009 | 01:10 PM
I think 10k is a little bit of an exaggeration. I mine has 40k and this is when I discover the uneven tire wear. It's damn annoying because the tires get extremely loud and you can feel the vibration from the tire wear.

Old 11-17-2009 | 05:08 PM
G's come with negative toe and camber from the factory.

Old 11-18-2009 | 09:41 AM
|
So this can be corrected with a cambering kit?

Old 11-18-2009 | 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by abject39
Oh yea, all you would need is a set of SPL upper a-arms which are totally adjustable. But as I mentioned previously with correct alignment tire wear shouldn't be an issue.
Gary

Old 11-18-2009 | 03:17 PM
I guess it depends what your opinion of "corrected" is. I think the most you would want to do is return the specs back to the original from factory, but since those are already negative, you will still get the same wear patterns as if you weren't lowered.

Old 11-18-2009 | 03:20 PM
wow, i totally forgot what the original post was about...haha my bad. refer to Gary C's answer. and don't forget the rear!

Old 11-18-2009 | 05:09 PM
Yes, there is no question about the fact that tire issues seem to be one of the biggest expenses of G35 Coupe ownership from 03-07. Regardless of camber kits which in itself is an additonal expense, tires will not go the distance on our cars. If you do get over 15,000 miles out of the rears you are doing great. Of course many owners do drive to the very last 2/32nds and then some. It's a great car but it is not a low maintenance vehicle.
Tires can be expensive if you do mucho miles. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2009 | 05:26 PM
Like any other car, your tire longevity will be strongly affected by your driving habits. If you're regularly heavy on the gas and brakes, and go hot into the corners and real fast down the highway all the time, the tires will be toast in a short time period... possibly as low as 7-10K miles(or less in an extreme situation). Most people seem to get about 20-25K out of a set of stock tires on a G35 Coupe, but in general.. expect to get less mileage out of a set of tires on these cars compared to your average road car.

Assuming you keep your tires inflated properly, the rear tires on most G35 Coupes usually wear relatively evenly(both across the tire and also across both tires on the same axle), but the fronts tend to wear worse on the inner edge as a result of the negative camber(which cannot be set to a neutral setting without an aftermarket camber kit) ... and this will cause your front tires to generate a lot of road noise(flap-flap type noise/plodding at higher speeds) as well as a minor vibration as the tire wear progresses to later stages.

Also keep in mind that certain specific tires also wear worse than others. The stock Michilin Pilotsports, for example, are known for being a fast wearing tire and they have a low treadwear rating. Personally, I managed to get 28K miles out of my stock Michilin Pilotsports, and I could have driven another 6-8K on them, but I opted to replace them before they got too bad. For the most part, I drive my car in a rather civil fashion. I have Falken FK-452's at all 4 corners on the car now, and have put a good 10K miles on them and they are showing very little wear.

If you want to put a simple blanket generic average on your tires for the sake of comparisons/price-estimating purposes... expect to get about 20K miles out of a set of tires on your G35 Coupe.

Old 11-19-2009 | 09:45 AM
|
Partyman66 r you saying that putting a cambering kit on to put the tires at neutral causes loud noises? (If so that really sucks) and r you saying I should only expect about 20K miles at neutral or 20k factory?

Old 11-19-2009 | 04:35 PM
Partyman66 r you saying that putting a cambering kit on to put the tires at neutral causes loud noises? (If so that really sucks) and r you saying I should only expect about 20K miles at neutral or 20k factory?
No... that's not what I'm saying, in regards to the camber kit. The camber on our cars, from the factory... can not be adjusted to a neutral setting. The stock camber setting is an aggressive negative camber setting which causes the inner edge of the tires to wear out faster than the outer edge, and when the tires are worn, they will make the noise that I spoke of.

If you put on an aftermarket camber kit, it will give you the range of adjustment that is needed in order to be able to put the front tires at a camber setting that is neutral and will not cause the tires to wear unevenly. It may even help your gas mileage by like a half a mile per gallon.

My 20K estimate is for a stock G35 on stock tires without an aftermarket camber kit with a mix of aggressive and non-aggressive driving... it's basically just a blanket average number I threw out there to help you estimate potential repair costs over the life of your ownership of the vehicle. Drive it lightly all the time, and you might get 30-35K out of a set of tires.... but what fun would that be?

Old 11-19-2009 | 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Yes, there is no question about the fact that tire issues seem to be one of the biggest expenses of G35 Coupe ownership from 03-07. Regardless of camber kits which in itself is an additonal expense, tires will not go the distance on our cars. If you do get over 15,000 miles out of the rears you are doing great. Of course many owners do drive to the very last 2/32nds and then some. It's a great car but it is not a low maintenance vehicle.
Tires can be expensive if you do mucho miles. Good luck.

15k your doing great? I know many people with 06-07 coupes that got 25K out of there stock tires. No they do not drift, burn out, or do donuts but they are spirited drivers.

Old 11-19-2009 | 05:23 PM
Very High temperatures in the South also tend to shorten tire life. I may very well be able to extend my tire life by milking the last 5 thousand miles on my tires to get to the high teens or even 20,000 miles, but I always prefer to have some "meat" left on the tires (3/32nds or more) when I dispose of them in case of an emergency stop or heavy rain.

Old 11-19-2009 | 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Very High temperatures in the South also tend to shorten tire life. I may very well be able to extend my tire life by milking the last 5 thousand miles on my tires to get to the high teens or even 20,000 miles, but I always prefer to have some "meat" left on the tires (3/32nds or more) when I dispose of them in case of an emergency stop or heavy rain.
Nothing personal intended... but you may be a harsher driver than you think you are in comparison to the average person, either that or your alignment could be way off for your tires to wear that fast on a regular basis.

I only drive my car in the warm weather from April until November here in Mass... so it only sees warm weather, and my stock tires lasted me 28K, at which point they had 3/32" left on them in the rear and when I replaced them. At that same point, my fronts were worn unevenly across the tire, and the inner edge was relatively worn but not completely bald, and the outer edge had a good 5/32" left on them at the time. If I really wanted to push it and drive the stock tires until they were dangerously bald with the threads showing, I'm guessing those stock tires could have lasted until about 34 or 35K.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Uneven tire wear???