G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

False TMS reading?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
False TMS reading?

Has anyone experienced their TPMS light comming on when all the tire pressures were still ok? My tires (on OEM 19s) have been at 38 lbs since new (2 months now) Last night on a 90 miles hwy drive the TPMS light came on when I was about 45 miles in. It was cold out (for AZ, 34 degrees) so I though maybe the pressure in one was low (although I've heard they have to get below 29 lbs for the light).

When I got home I immediately checked them all, and they were all at exactly 39 lbs. (double checked with 2 different dial gauges) Even if during the drive, they heated up some and went to say 41-42 lbs, is there a high pressure limit that would set off the TPMS? (even though that isn't really very high pressure). Or is a false TPMS reading a common occurrence? (I'm new to having a car with TPMS).

Last edited by Sharkroy; 01-25-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Just the light? If it reads low pressure it will beep/buzz at you as well. I'm pretty sure the manual says only the light will come on if the system loses contact with a sensor. I had this problem (just light no buzz), but ended up breaking one of my sensors before I could get it looked at. After that sensor was replaced and calibrated to the system, I haven't seen the light since.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I think just the light, although my music was up sorta loud, so I may not have heard it. I've guess as I've been reading on here that since I had new tires installed I need to reset the TPMS in some way? Is it strange that it took about 1500 miles of driving before it came on?

I certainly don't want to pay the stealership for a reset, so I'm researching on here how to DIY.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Have you driven today? Is it still on? If it's a low tire pressure reading, it will come on continuously

Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM
If it blinks twice when you start the car and then holds solid, then that means there's an error in they system. I battled this with 2 dealers for 2 years before I was told that the TPMS sensors have batteries in them and like all batteries, they need to be replaced. So a new set was ordered for me under warranty and it's been over a year with no problems so far.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Did you have the Traction Control System off?

I almost always drive with mine on, but one time when I was driving on a long road trip to Maine(165 miles) with my Traction Control disabled, the TPS light came on almost exactly at the 75 miles after turning the VDC off on my trip. It did the same thing on the way home and noticed that the same thing happened at around 75-85 miles with the VDC off again(i had the radio on loud on the way home though, so I didn't notice it initially). I'm not sure if this is just a random flaw in the ECU or if it was programmed in intentionally. It only does it when I have the VDC disabled, and when I shut the car off for a second and then started it back up, the Tire Pressure warning light went away.

Both times when it happened, I pulled over and checked my tire pressure in all 4 tires, and they were all within 1 PSI of each other and somewhere around 38-40 PSI(the pressure was up from 35 due to tire heat from the long trip at highway speeds).

Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, I didn't have my VDC off. Interesting that your car was doing that though. When I drove it today I got no light. Does the TPMS have to be somehow reset every time new tires are mounted, or does it simply adjust/relearn once the pressure is back in specs? I'm not too worried about it, especially in the city. But a false light could be a real PIA on a long trip.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Installing new tires or even one won't have any effect on your sensors. Any time my TPMS shows/sounds I have a low tire issue. I haven't experienced what you describe but I can imagine being on a long trip a false reading could be a PIA. If your TPS shows on your dash I'd still pull into the next station and have it checked. Thinking it was a false alarm and losing a tire/rim wouldn't be worth it....
Gary

Old 01-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sharkroy, the same thing happened to me going to payson two weekends ago. I am not sure why the light came on. No VDC off, I do have 20's on my G and I thought that might have something to do with it, but you are running 19's not too different. Light never comes on while driving around Tempe, just that one time on the long trip about 65 miles out of the city.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 AM
My light randomly comes on from time to time, I've checked all the tires, including the spare. All within specs. I think sometimes the sensors may just get jolted or maybe they are running out of battery life. I think if you are good about checking your tires, then you are probably ok. Like Gary said though, I wouldn't assume false alarm.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Welcome Nico (another AZ G, yea!)
---------

I'll just keep up with them and see if I get the light on my next long hwy trip.

When it's time to put a new set of tires on (hopefully not for 2 yrs) I'll have to replace the batteries in the sensors I guess (?). I didn't even know they had batteries before I heard it here, I wish I had know it 2 months ago lol.

Surprised that the wheel reconditioning place that repaired my wheels and installed my tires didn't mention/address the need for batteries, they seemed to have a lot of experience with these kinds of modern wheels w/sensors (the owner drives a G coupe too).