Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG35
x2

Its funny how theres a lawsuit over it
Sorry but "feathering and cupping" = alignment issues. And it isn't normal on any car.

And if it's NORMAL wear for "performance car" lol, Then Nissan wouldn't have issued a TSB for the tire wear issue on the 350z. Why Infiniti is ignoring the G drivers? Who knows...

--------
The 350Z was designed for maximum dynamic handling performance and is equipped with tires with optimized handling characteristics. This performance set-up requires very accurate front-end alignment, and Nissan has determined that the 350Z tires are sensitive to any toe-out whatsoever. This noise/excess tire "feathering" issue is not related to camber. Nissan has been following vehicles carefully aligned with no toe-out and has found thus far that, once set correctly, the Z's alignment remains set correctly over time, and that tire noise does not occur on those vehicles.

Nissan engineers have investigated the tire noise issue and determined that, when the noise occurs, the root cause is chassis alignment - specifically the toe adjustment. Toe-out can cause a tire wear pattern (i.e., excess feathering) that creates tire noise. A Technical Service Bulletin (NTB03-006), addressing alignment was issued to all Nissan dealers in January of 2003. In June of 2003 the affected VIN range was identified in NTB03-006A.

Nonetheless, the problem has persisted for some customers due to an apparent failure to properly set the correct alignment. Because of the sensitivity of this vehicle/tire combination to proper alignment, Nissan has advised dealers not to use the "Go/No-Go" color indicators commonly found on some alignment machines. Rather, Nissan is advising dealers that it is critical to refer to the actual alignment number that is displayed for the Toe Setting, and reminds dealers that it is very important not to have any Toe-Out when they are finished aligning the car. This was documented in a revised Technical Service Bulletin (NTB03-006B) in December of 2003. Nissan is also requiring dealers to document proper calibration of their alignment equipment.

Nissan Action: To ensure the highest levels of customer satisfaction, Nissan is extending the warranty for front wheel alignment on customers' 350Zs to 2 years from the original in-service date. Like all Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty service, this extended warranty is only available through a Nissan dealership.

Beginning in late April, 2004 Nissan will contact affected 2003 350Z customers by mail. For Model Year 2003 350Z vehicles that exhibit front tire roar or growl noise, during the extended warranty period Nissan will inspect vehicles to determine the wheel, tire and suspension equipment installed on the vehicle.
------------

Last edited by jibberjabbers; 02-09-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
I'm at stock height and my tires are starting to wear on the insides. Damn.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Sorry but "feathering and cupping" = alignment issues. And it isn't normal on any car.

And if it's NORMAL wear for "performance car" lol, Then Nissan wouldn't have issued a TSB for the tire wear issue on the 350z. Why Infiniti is ignoring the G drivers? Who knows...

--------
The 350Z was designed for maximum dynamic handling performance and is equipped with tires with optimized handling characteristics. This performance set-up requires very accurate front-end alignment, and Nissan has determined that the 350Z tires are sensitive to any toe-out whatsoever. This noise/excess tire "feathering" issue is not related to camber. Nissan has been following vehicles carefully aligned with no toe-out and has found thus far that, once set correctly, the Z's alignment remains set correctly over time, and that tire noise does not occur on those vehicles.

Nissan engineers have investigated the tire noise issue and determined that, when the noise occurs, the root cause is chassis alignment - specifically the toe adjustment. Toe-out can cause a tire wear pattern (i.e., excess feathering) that creates tire noise. A Technical Service Bulletin (NTB03-006), addressing alignment was issued to all Nissan dealers in January of 2003. In June of 2003 the affected VIN range was identified in NTB03-006A.

Nonetheless, the problem has persisted for some customers due to an apparent failure to properly set the correct alignment. Because of the sensitivity of this vehicle/tire combination to proper alignment, Nissan has advised dealers not to use the "Go/No-Go" color indicators commonly found on some alignment machines. Rather, Nissan is advising dealers that it is critical to refer to the actual alignment number that is displayed for the Toe Setting, and reminds dealers that it is very important not to have any Toe-Out when they are finished aligning the car. This was documented in a revised Technical Service Bulletin (NTB03-006B) in December of 2003. Nissan is also requiring dealers to document proper calibration of their alignment equipment.

Nissan Action: To ensure the highest levels of customer satisfaction, Nissan is extending the warranty for front wheel alignment on customers' 350Zs to 2 years from the original in-service date. Like all Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty service, this extended warranty is only available through a Nissan dealership.

Beginning in late April, 2004 Nissan will contact affected 2003 350Z customers by mail. For Model Year 2003 350Z vehicles that exhibit front tire roar or growl noise, during the extended warranty period Nissan will inspect vehicles to determine the wheel, tire and suspension equipment installed on the vehicle.
------------
I dont know what that TSB entails but I was going through the 200+ page feathering thread on my350z, and people are still saying there is no fix

Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG35
I dont know what that TSB entails but I was going through the 200+ page feathering thread on my350z, and people are still saying there is no fix
Exactly, which means the car has an alignment issue. And since it isn't a "safety" issue, Nissan could care less...

Old 02-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was planning to drop my car 1" with 350z springs, would this cause more tire wear?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 AM
Ok, yea that answers my other question, so its sport tuned which is why it eats through tires like that right? all of our Gs have that, its not just mine, so i doubt me taking the car to the dealer is gonna make any difference because they will just say all Gs are like that? right?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by cknight03
I was planning to drop my car 1" with 350z springs, would this cause more tire wear?
YES....
Gary

Old 02-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
YES....
Gary
Thanks! Plan aborted!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
You could add tire life if you buy camber kits along with your springs

Old 05-06-2016, 04:40 PM
So I got into a little accident and had the rear lateral links changed but when I went to Firestone to get a alignment, they said the camber is maxed out. I bought a new upper control arm for the rear and haven't put it on yet but I want to get everyone's opinion on this. I'm losing about 3x as fast tire tread on the one wheel. Any input is great