G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hood Pin OPtion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Pin OPtion

Im thinking about picking up a CF OEM style hood. Do i need hood pins? i'm not too fond of the aerocatch hood pins showing. I want a clean somewhat stock look. Are there any pins that are easy to install to insure safety and not have anything exposed in the exterior? Or my only choice is aerocatch hood pins? Thanks

Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 AM
I think aerocatch are the best hood pins. I had them on my CF hood.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just get a hood that uses the stock latch?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 AM
The hoods do come with hood latches. Hoodpins are for safety reasons.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:45 AM
My point was.. unless you plan on going fast enough where you would normally have the stock hood fly up, I don't see the point of getting hood pins and be concerned with a CF hood flying up. A CF hood isn't going to be dramatically lighter than a stock aluminium hood. If the G35's had a steel hood, sure..

Old 02-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by twarsop
My point was.. unless you plan on going fast enough where you would normally have the stock hood fly up, I don't see the point of getting hood pins and be concerned with a CF hood flying up. A CF hood isn't going to be dramatically lighter than a stock aluminium hood. If the G35's had a steel hood, sure..
The resin latch on aftermarket hoods is significantly weaker. There have been more than enough cases of aftermarket (carbon fiber) hoods flying during street driving on this forum.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Overglorified Altima
No pins. Regular street driving.

Trending Topics

Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by caLvinator
The resin latch on aftermarket hoods is significantly weaker. There have been more than enough cases of aftermarket (carbon fiber) hoods flying during street driving on this forum.

It would be unfair to relate all hoods (especially apparent cheap ones that you're talking about) to flying up because of a resin latch. I suppose I'm a hood snob, since the VIS hood I had on my WRX had a metal latch (I bought through VIS for that reason). I agree that something as structurally weak as a resin latch would be a bad choice without hood pins. Your eye rolling isn't necessary, and just makes you look like a douchebag. If you have contrasting or more information than someone is giving, be helpful, not an ***.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Overglorified Altima
It would be unfair to relate all hoods (especially apparent cheap ones that you're talking about) to flying up because of a resin latch. I suppose I'm a hood snob, since the VIS hood I had on my WRX had a metal latch (I bought through VIS for that reason). I agree that something as structurally weak as a resin latch would be a bad choice without hood pins. Your eye rolling isn't necessary, and just makes you look like a douchebag. If you have contrasting or more information than someone is giving, be helpful, not an ***.
And you're assuming that the OP is getting a VIS hood with this metal latch...that is attached to the hood with resin. Your previous post also seems to assume that all c/f hoods are "equal" in having a metal latch.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 AM
And you're assuming that the OP is getting a VIS hood with this metal latch...that is attached to the hood with resin. Your previous post also seems to assume that all c/f hoods are "equal" in having a metal latch.
Not at all. If he gets one with a resin latch, I totally agree that hood pins are necessary. It really would be a matter of preference. If you get one without a metal latch, and you like the look of hood pins (to me, it's a little ricey if unnecessary for safety reasons), then more power to the OP. I was simply trying to give my opinion on the issue, and was confused as to why hood pins would be an absolute necessity.

Anyway, we're all here for some good input, now go buy that hood and post pics.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Overglorified Altima
Funny that VIS themselves recommend hood pins. In fact, they say hood pins are required.

They must not be confident enough in their hood latches, so they say this to cover their a$$es. That way, if their hood flies up on a car with no hood pins installed, they've covered and customers can't complain about a faulty product.

And every other hood they have listed for the G says the same.

I just texted my friend who has a VIS hood - he just confirmed the latch is attached with resin. He didn't specify whether the latch itself is metal or resin. But if it's attached with resin...doesn't matter what the actual latch is made of.

I'm not saying that every carbon fiber hood without hood pins is going to fail. But better safe than sorry.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
^lol nice job doing great research to show that you aren't talking out of your ***.

I would def get hood pins with any cf hood I bought, why take the risk.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Funny that VIS themselves recommend hood pins. In fact, they say hood pins are required.

They must not be confident enough in their hood latches, so they say this to cover their a$$es. That way, if their hood flies up on a car with no hood pins installed, they've covered and customers can't complain about a faulty product.

And every other hood they have listed for the G says the same.

I just texted my friend who has a VIS hood - he just confirmed the latch is attached with resin. He didn't specify whether the latch itself is metal or resin. But if it's attached with resin...doesn't matter what the actual latch is made of.

I'm not saying that every carbon fiber hood without hood pins is going to fail. But better safe than sorry.
lol, pwnt!

Nice job cal!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
I was looking at seibon CF OEM hood. Some are saying no and some are saying yes on hood pins. I don't plan on racing or anything just normal street driving, but are there no hood pins that somewhat hide itself or most of it? aerocatch seems sort of favorable in this forum but are very noticeable.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Overglorified Altima
Aerocatch pins are probably the least noticeable. At least compared to traditional hood pins.

Installing a carbon fiber hood without hood pins does not mean your hood will fly open for sure. I know a few people that run carbon fiber hoods without hood pins and haven't had an issue. But like I said, better to be safe than sorry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hood Pin OPtion