G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

automatic / manual mode question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your really into cars, you should get the MT. There's more fun in driving, actually feel like your driving the car. I raced couple AT G35 and there always slower...So i dono what that guy is talking bout its faster....How can your driving skill effect your skills in driving AT anyways? lol Guess you need a lot of skills to put it in D.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Iamnotkento
If your really into cars, you should get the MT. There's more fun in driving, actually feel like your driving the car. I raced couple AT G35 and there always slower...So i dono what that guy is talking bout its faster....How can your driving skill effect your skills in driving AT anyways? lol Guess you need a lot of skills to put it in D.

So you think all 5AT G's are slower than 6MT's just because you beat a couple of them? -_- I won't even begin with all the factors that come into play when racing. And since you obviously don't know much about auto G35's, if they were really racing you, they'd be in manumatic mode, not D.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Stock vs stock yes ( same model). Did i ever say anything about mods? if your talking about that. I was only stating that i have never lost to AT so i guess that proves MT are faster in stock form.

I was giving the point that you really don't do anything when you race with auto, you stomp on the gas and you move the shifter with two fingers to shift up....Not much fun in that.
If you really like to drive and actually feel like your driving the car, get the MT.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've driven both the AT and the MT and the manumatic is fun, but you just dont get the same feeling out of it. I love the six speed on mountain roads.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:35 PM
manual is much better to drive for sure!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
OP, ultimately the 6MT is faster than the 5AT (stock configurations). Another plus with the manuals is that the E-brake is where its supposed to be. This is an assumption, but I'm almost certain the manual tranny robs less power from the engine then the automatics.

The auto's aren't that bad either. They're still fun to drive nonetheless. Just about every weekend I drive the hell out of my car up in the mountains and have no regrets with the auto(unless I chose to race all the time). When the tranny gets hot, there is definitely lag when shifting in any mode. And at highway speed you'll wish you had that sixth gear. As for upgrading, I have not done this yet and cannot comment on the results.

Last edited by herrschaft; 02-25-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
No **** the manual is better for racing!!! Not everybody buys a G with the intent to take it to the track. If you want a car to race with, your better off buying a 1st gen Viper for about the same cost as a later model G. But, those of us on here have chosen the G35 for different reasons. I agree that more skill is required when driving a manual, but there's more to driving a car then just knowing how to shift. BTW - I know how to drive stick.

OP, ultimately the 6MT is faster than the 5AT (stock configurations). Another plus with the manuals is that the E-brake is where its supposed to be. This is an assumption, but I'm almost certain the manual tranny robs less power from the engine then the automatics.

The auto's aren't that bad either. They're still fun to drive nonetheless. Just about every weekend I drive the hell out of my car up in the mountains and have no regrets with the auto(unless I chose to race all the time). When the tranny gets hot, there is definitely lag when shifting in any mode. And at highway speed you'll wish you had that sixth gear. As for upgrading, I have not done this yet and cannot comment on the results.
Lol at you. Why are you bringing a viper in this? We are talking bout g35, if you want to talk about a track car for what g35 is worth, you can get something way better than viper.

anyways back to subject, i was simply responding back to what that guy said. No **** there's more to driving than just shifting. Did i say anything about shifting is all bout driving? no

i was stating the fact that 6mt is more fun to drive, and its faster than the AT. So if you want to actually feel like YOUR driving the car, then get the 6mt.

the guy responded back asking if i think all auto are slower than 6mt. And the answer was yes. if they are both stock.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:32 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Ok, I misinterpreted your opinion on racing. Thats why I threw the viper in there. Saying if somebody wanted to race, the G would not be the best choice.

Good...since you clarified everything, I'll delete that portion of my post

Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to thank all who replied to my original post.........Its funny how the topic of "racing" came into this.....and that that seems to be the criteria of how people judge which trans one should get......seems rather single minded....I do enjoy driving and im sure the MT would be a better choice...for driving pleasure----not racing!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Iamnotkento
If your really into cars, you should get the MT. There's more fun in driving, actually feel like your driving the car.
hope your not talking about me....

Old 02-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
For what it's worth, the G35 has the best manumatic shifting of any car I've driven...

First off is because in "manual mode" it's actually manual. I hate cars that have a "manual" mode that shifts for you anyway when you hit redline, and some will even downshift for you if you give it enough gas in a higher gear. The BMW 328i I drove would automatically upshift and a Mercedes CLK550 both upshifted and downshifted in manual mode (80 thousand dollar car, and it didn't have a proper manual mode!?).

From what I experienced the car had a little lag (1/2 a seconds) when driving around regularly but when the car was revved near redline the lag wasn't as bad.

I'm not sure about the coupes but the Sedan I drove had a "DriveSport" mode. It was where you put the shifter to the side to switch to manual mode, but never touched it afterwards. Because what it will do is go to DriveSport and when you initiate a manual shift it will go to manual mode, but if you leave it it stays in DriveSport. I found DS to be the best mode since it had hard, aggressive shift patterns but none of the lag the manual mode had.

The best transmission without a clutch pedal that I've driven is our 2006 M5, but that's not an automatic so I guess it doesn't count.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
^ that transmission is not available on the first gen sedans/coupe. We dont have a sport function.