G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

automatic / manual mode question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking automatic / manual mode question.

I continue to search and research for my first G35. I am looking to get the manual trans, and talked with an automatic owner today. He mentioned he used it in the manual mode. My question! Is this a feature with all the automatics or is it an option? Im looking at 05-06 coupes. He seemed very happy with his G. Im here in western Canada and most G's im finding are automatics. I would like to hear everyones opinion on this. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe all automatic G's have manumatic mode standard. If your first intent was to get an MT, then stick with that. Both transmissions on these cars are good, but the MT is a lot more fun to drive; you will experience the full potential of the G with MT.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 PM
yup, all automatic G35's have manumatic shifting, meaning you can put it into drive like usual or you can tap it over to the right and push the shifter up or down to shift up or down. auto's have 5 gears manuals have 6. there is some lag in shifting on the auto's when it manumatic and in my experience leaving it in drive is faster atleast to about 100 km/h (60 mph) this is my experience in both the G35 and a porsche as well as a couple other vehicles.

If you really want a manual, get it, don't settle. its harder to find a manual because the guys with manuals seem to really love there cars and are holding on to them still, the people with auto's are only holding them for about 4 years then buying a new car. (this is what i found when i was looking)

chicks dig a guy that drives stick?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:37 PM
oh, and the manual transmission G has 298 hp and the auto has 280, the manual tranny has a bit less torque however, all in all, the manual is just barely faster then the auto, and a little more fun, but less convenient

Old 02-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by danielj
oh, and the manual transmission G has 298 hp and the auto has 280, the manual tranny has a bit less torque however, all in all, the manual is just barely faster then the auto, and a little more fun, but less convenient
Originally Posted by danielj
yup, all automatic G35's have manumatic shifting, meaning you can put it into drive like usual or you can tap it over to the right and push the shifter up or down to shift up or down. auto's have 5 gears manuals have 6. there is some lag in shifting on the auto's when it manumatic and in my experience leaving it in drive is faster atleast to about 100 km/h (60 mph) this is my experience in both the G35 and a porsche as well as a couple other vehicles.

If you really want a manual, get it, don't settle. its harder to find a manual because the guys with manuals seem to really love there cars and are holding on to them still, the people with auto's are only holding them for about 4 years then buying a new car. (this is what i found when i was looking)

chicks dig a guy that drives stick?
I love mis-informed MT drivers

Please do not listen to this false garbage^^

Automatic G35s are in no way-EVER- faster in "D" than in manual mode.

There is no lag at all when shifting in manual mode.. Only reason you may experience lag is because you do not know how to drive in manual mode (like most MT owners). You can shift faster in an MT and thats all.. But with a valve body upgrade you will shift faster and harder than an G35 thats MT.

They come all years standard.. The 05's and higher come with the rev matching feature which is really neat.

They are fully manual meaning you have complete control over the car, only thing is that you cannot skip gears shifting up.. You cannot skip gears by down shifting either BUT depending on how fast you tap the shifter you can down shift very fast. Those two are pretty much the only thing you do not have control over is skiping gears at will.

Pretty much the only thing above that is correct is that the MT's come with 18 more horsepower and lesser torque BUT that only applies to the 05 and higher G35's... 03/04's come with all the same horsepower..

One thing that may hinder you from getting an MT in an 05+ is that the 298hp motor (revup) is not as reliable as the 280 HP motor (non revup). They do have an oil consumption issue that is very widely known.

This car is still very fun to drive in manual mode.. Especially through twisties and a circuit track.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:10 PM
+1000000000-----> "chicks dig a guy that drives stick" they will continuously ask you if they can shift your stick, as chics have a tendency to perceive the shifter as a phallic symbol. hahaha

Old 02-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Speaking of mis-information, NOT ALL 05-06 6MT's have the oil consumption problem. It is a problem, but not as widespread as automatic transmission owners like to inform. MT cars respond significantly better to breathing mods of all kinds.
You can't go wrong with either car, they're practially giving them away at this point in this economy. Unless you an afford to spend $50K on a car, it is just absolutely the best bang for the buck.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by officerdbag
I love mis-informed MT drivers

Please do not listen to this false garbage^^

Automatic G35s are in no way-EVER- faster in "D" than in manual mode.

There is no lag at all when shifting in manual mode.. Only reason you may experience lag is because you do not know how to drive in manual mode (like most MT owners). You can shift faster in an MT and thats all.. But with a valve body upgrade you will shift faster and harder than an G35 thats MT.

They come all years standard.. The 05's and higher come with the rev matching feature which is really neat.

They are fully manual meaning you have complete control over the car, only thing is that you cannot skip gears shifting up.. You cannot skip gears by down shifting either BUT depending on how fast you tap the shifter you can down shift very fast. Those two are pretty much the only thing you do not have control over is skiping gears at will.

Pretty much the only thing above that is correct is that the MT's come with 18 more horsepower and lesser torque BUT that only applies to the 05 and higher G35's... 03/04's come with all the same horsepower..

One thing that may hinder you from getting an MT in an 05+ is that the 298hp motor (revup) is not as reliable as the 280 HP motor (non revup). They do have an oil consumption issue that is very widely known.

This car is still very fun to drive in manual mode.. Especially through twisties and a circuit track.
I was speaking in my experience, which yes, is somewhat limited, but both me and a few friends who have drove some pretty nice cars, have found it to be faster to use drive, although much less fun, this has been found in many high end sports cars and a g35 coupe all of those vehicles 'seem' to be slower using manumatic, and i often feel a bit of a delay in shifting when using manumatic versus D.

but you have more experience then me, particularly with the G35. so i will take your word, and shut my mouth before this thread gets too off topic, and will just say that for the most part, stick is more fun, but inconvenient at times.

I know its an odd question, but how old are you, i mean, if your a younger guy like me, stick just fits, but if you have kids or are married and have settled down a a bit then either works, i'm not trying to stereotype, its just what went through my mind when i was looking for a G.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by officerdbag
What is and how does a rev-matching feature work?

Had three cars in the past 1.5 years and all of them are auto. San Francisco hills and Santa Cruz mountains pwn me.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the great information..I am (lets say) over 40 ( and married- she hasnt driven a MT in awhile ) I would really like the MT but the chicken *&^$ part of me is aware of the oil problem as i have read on-line. The ability to shift the auto sounds like it maybe an option i will look at when i drive both. Where i live 05-06 coupes range from 25K-30k cdn depending (and somtimes not so much ) on the mileage and year...I think some ppl and dealers are crazy for what they are asking. These are truely a great looking car and would good in my garage...

Old 02-21-2010, 03:58 PM
ya, G's are expensive in Canada, i'd sell you mine for 29.5K Canadian probably, but i just bought it, its got 46,000 KM's on it and its a 6sp fully loaded except nav. I'm not actually serious tho, but if someone offered me 30K or close to that i'd probably take it even though i payed close to that.

Look on autotrader.com thats where i found mine, ended up flying to the states and bringing it back into canada, all you have to do is daytime running lights and maybe a block heater depending on where you are in BC and if your planning on winter driving or not.

Oil consumption shouldn't be a big issue, its covered under warranty, if you buy an 06 you have warranty till 2012, cause the powertrain warranty is 6 years and 70,000 miles or 110,000 Km's i believe.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Don't think for a second that the manu-matic 5AT is even close to being a substitute for a true MT. It's still a decently fun car to drive, but by no means is it like a Porsche PDK gear box.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Look into SGP built transmission, MUCH MUCH crisper. Also no boost loss in between shifts with AT. (if you're FI)

Old 02-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
You can always enhance the performance of your 5AT in manual mode with one of my custom grounding kits.

Reviews and photos here...

https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews...es-review.html

Old 02-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I would say if you go for the auto get the ground kit cause it does speed up the delay in shifting. I went from an '03 5AT sedan and there is a delay no matter how you drive it. If you like standard you will not be disapointed. Call the dealership on the oil consumption issue with the VIN and they can tell u if it has it or not. mine didnt have this issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: automatic / manual mode question.