New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New member, 2003 Coupe floating screen head unit install, relocating AC controls ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe w/18" wheels, AT
New member, 2003 Coupe floating screen head unit install, relocating AC controls ???

Hello all,
I am a new member here, retired from 42 years of being a Nissan/Infiniti tech and Shop Foreman. Also includes 6 years at an independent import shop working on anything from Fiats to Yugos, lots of European/German/Asian and anything else in between. Very little domestic experience except for about a year at another independent domestic only shop in the late 70's. I made Master/Gold status as a tech with Nissan/Infiniti/Porsche/Mercedes/Rolls Royce. Additional training and work experience with Maserati/Alfa Romeo/Land Rover. I competed in NISTEC in 1997 and 1999, making it to the finals in Japan both times, first with Nissan and then with Infiniti. STILL can't quench my thirst for cars and technology, constantly researching things on the internet, and watching "Car Stuff" on tv.
My wife owns a 2003 Coupe, 18" wheels, AT. I am about to try installing a Dual DCPA81W 8" floating screen head unit in it, keeping the Bose amp and speakers. This head unit can be mounted in a single or double DIN opening, by using an included bracket mounted above or below the head unit as a spacer in a double DIN opening, or without the bracket in a single DIN opening. My potential plan is to use a Metra or Scosche dash kit, mount the head unit in the upper half of the double DIN opening, and move the AC controls below the head unit, modifying the dash kit as needed. I do have the parts coming, should all be here by Monday, 7/22/24. this includes a JDM AC control panel with the "Dual" button ( for the later G's).
Has anyone attempted this type of mod before? Does the later G AC panel work in the early G as a plug-in? I do have access to the factory ESM's for both cars, and I'm sure I can check the wiring diagrams and compare to answer that question, but thought I would ask. Questions, comments, and anything else helpful would be greatly appreciated.
Any other Nissan/Infiniti techs out there??

Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Welcome! Good to have someone with your level of experience here. It's a very old platform now, and the forum is not as active. Many of the originals have moved on. But pretty much everything has been covered and with good search skills, most folks can find what they need.

Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe w/18" wheels, AT
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Welcome! Good to have someone with your level of experience here. It's a very old platform now, and the forum is not as active. Many of the originals have moved on. But pretty much everything has been covered and with good search skills, most folks can find what they need.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already read through that sticky a few times, but maybe I've missed something. I will keep searching. I am wanting to move the AC controls (Metra/Scosche/JDM OEM) down below the floating screen head unit so they are not obscured by the screen, and the screen won't interfere with use of the top cubby. I did get the head unit today, a Dual DCPA81W. It has a single DIN chassis, with an additional bracket that attaches to the chassis either above or below to make it fit a double DIN opening, and allow two different mounting heights. The screen itself also has a about an 1-1/2" vertical adjustment, as well as tilting up/down and rotating left/right a fair amount. Hoping to mount the AC controls to that extra bracket, with the bracket attached to the bottom of the head unit chassis. Then modifying the dash trim for an OE look. NOT going for anything high end at all, just something functional and unique that the wife can enjoy and be a bit more modern (wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, hands free calling, etc.). Just holding the screen in place by hand and looking at the Metra kit I have on hand, it seems like it might be possible. I have not yet disassembled it, so no hard measurements taken yet. I used to keep an old OE head unit with a CD error on hand to connect to the ribbon cable for the controls circuit board as a diag tool. I have had "a few" of these apart in my time.....Comments and suggestions welcomed.