3) CD changer stopped working
4) noisy valve train
5) rear axle clicking

Old 03-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3crchino
These are problems I've run into since my G has hit 70k+ miles;

...Bolts around the Subframe start to come loose, caused a loud popping sound
Didn't you have the gas tank recall work done? They had to drop the rear suspension member, aka the sub-frame unless you're talking about something else. When they drop it all the nuts/bolts are pretty much removed from the front and rear suspension stays, the cross-members.

If you had popping before this recall then bad assembly. If after, bad service. Either way someone screwed up hands-on work vs. the design issues which I lump into the high rate of window failure, etc.

Axle click was just some numb-nuts not putting moly assembly grease on the splines, probably again a quality control issue with rear bearings failing, that's way too soon. My Z had that, so did my G.

Front dampers, you don't have to drive the car hard for that. Enough use on right type of roads, 45k is a little early, but 60k wouldn't be exceptional.

No question your experience has sucked, sorry to hear that. Just don't assume this is somehow unique to Nissan/Infiniti, and that you will do better with another marque. BMW has a load of their own problems, and fit/finish on some specific models has been among the worst I've seen (X5 body panels and drips in the clear coat is one example I've seen up close and personal).

Consumers demand more features, more power, whatever, and they expect cars to largely hold the line on price. Something has to give in that process, so more and more complexity, some useful, most not, has worked its way down into lower and lower level cars. Try buying a real compact w/o a bunch of crap on it, the stripper concept doesn't even exist, almost no one will buy them.

The root cause is the market - IMHO, people demand way too much in convenience and non-essential features at lower and lower price points, so manufacturers have responded by cutting costs on materials where possible and subcontracting assemblies to lowest bidders, look where that got Toyota with their gas pedals. People also demand a design refresh every few years in the near-luxury segment especially, also a cost that does little to address better quality in the parts that really matter. G37's have many of the same damn defects and TSB issues the 2003 MY G35 had.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteveZ
By 70k very likely:
1) Clutch and Flywheel (claim cannot be resurfaced), expensive $$$ - $1100 FW, $300 clutch, plus labor. Many people wear the OEM clutch out early. I went JWT for $800 parts, had a bud pull the trans and replace for $300-400. External Slave Cylinder also blew its seals, easy fix for $30.

2) Brakes - if a dealer does the work the going rate quoted to me was $500 for replacement rotors, just replacing 4 pads, turning the rears and replacement fronts over $1400. Note this can be done a lot more cost effectively somewhere else - $800 for 4 rotors is not uncommon, using Brembo Sport rotors.

3) Valve Cover spark plug hole seals - see "Check Before Your Powertrain Warranty is Up" thread. Seals leak sometimes, require complete VC replacement. Mine just done this year at 59k under warranty. $800 job otherwise w/parts, labor. Covers are not cheap, they had my car overnight to get the job done.

4) BOSE HU if so equipped, lost the left channel after a few years, replaced under warranty.

5) Various TSB repairs like Axle click, gas tank issues (hoses are a recall and free by law) like not filling up all the way (sticking flap not venting).

6) Window motors/regulators - for some reason these seem to have a higher failure rate than normal for cars like this. Possibly because the window has to snug up or drop every time the door is opened/closed. Plus the complexity of key/key fob operation allowing 1/4 drop, etc. Regulator + Motor + Labor > $500.
add:

7) Trunk latch has stopped working. Neither switch nor key fob works, had to use the back seat hidden latch to get my stuff out. Already double-checked valet mode. Most likely a broken wire or bad switch on the latch, the wire bundle going into the chassis from the trunk lid is a problem area. Cost TBD.

8) Forgot to mention driver's front seat lifter RH "foot" cracked. This is what holds the front of the driver's seat down. Parts quoted by dealer $250, labor up to 4-6 hours, I picked up parts NIB OEM from another dealer $150 shipped, do it myself. There's a TSB on creaking seats but this is just broken.

9) Also forgot to add - rear wing brake light wire broken, sent the entire braking system into limp mode. $250 to find and fix. Just outside the 48k/4year warranty by 3-4 months, or would have been covered.

Now at 62k miles, time for more brake work. Rotors all around, and pads, fluid change. Just a wear item but if you drive the car hard expect only 30k-40k on a set of brakes for 2003-2004 MY with Brembos.

Pretty sure have trashed the front dampers, RH front feels like a blown seal, it's useless. So now at 63k miles, likely time to consider new damper and spring options. Tempted to just go with someone's cast-off OEM fronts until I decide what I want, and also pay for a hefty amount of brake parts very soon.

Make no mistake, even the wear items are not inexpensive on this car. No worse than its competition in the segment, I just wince when I see people picking up used early MY G's now for ~$15k who have no idea what sort of costs they're getting into, from tires to brakes, and out of warranty problems. Only thing worse I can think of would be buying a used E46 of same vintage. That has potential to be much worse, a friend spent easily $3k++ on upper end out of warranty work on a used one.