G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 issues before 65,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 issues before 65,000 miles?

I just bought a G35 with 35k miles on it.

I decided to buy a "total care" warranty since the factory one was expired, but now I am thinking about bagging it. 2800 bucks back to me!

Are there any notorious issues with these cars, before the 70k mark?

Sorry for the noob question, TIA.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I had my stereo go bad and power window motor stop working before I hit even 50k miles. Total bill was around $900, but I had warranty.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 PM
throttle body went at 70k, but my car was in a front end collision

Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
i can smell burned oil coming threw the vents after about 20 min of driving and then it stops and it starts again. im thinking a small oil leak some where on the engine and dripping on the pipe, i haven't had a chance to check it out. my car has 31,100 miles its an 06.

Last edited by tolyD; 03-01-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Keep the warranty its worth having just alittle peace of mind goes along way.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tolyD
i can smell burned oil coming threw the vents after about 20 min of driving and then it stops and it starts again. im thinking a small oil leak some where on the engine and dripping on the pipe, i haven't had a chance to check it out. my car has 31,100 miles its an 06.
It might be a good idea to see if you have a valve cover issue with oil collectiing in the spark plug filler tubes. If under warranty, you might luck out as it is an expensive repair. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Depending if you plan on working on your own car or not. If you know how to work on your own ride then I say take back the 2800 but as stidrver said "alittle peace of mind goes along way."

I personally would never buy extended warranty, a little research, experience, the right tools, and some elbow grease is all a need.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by bocatrip
It might be a good idea to see if you have a valve cover issue with oil collectiing in the spark plug filler tubes. If under warranty, you might luck out as it is an expensive repair. Good luck.
i hope thats not it at 31,000 miles some one said something about the dip stick and it leaks oil too like the gasket around it gets bad. man i have to check this out.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 AM
Won't be covered by warranty but clutch clutch clutch.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
May be worthwhile...depends on what's been done to date.

Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless
I just bought a G35 with 35k miles on it.

I decided to buy a "total care" warranty since the factory one was expired, but now I am thinking about bagging it. 2800 bucks back to me!

Are there any notorious issues with these cars, before the 70k mark?

Sorry for the noob question, TIA.
By 70k very likely:
1) Clutch and Flywheel (claim cannot be resurfaced), expensive $$$ - $1100 FW, $300 clutch, plus labor. Many people wear the OEM clutch out early.

2) Brakes - if a dealer does the work the going rate quoted to me was $500 for replacement rotors, just replacing 4 pads, turning the rears and replacement fronts over $1400. Note this can be done a lot more cost effectively somewhere else - $800 for 4 rotors is not uncommon, using Brembo Sport rotors.

3) Valve Cover spark plug hole seals - see "Check Before Your Powertrain Warranty is Up" thread. Seals leak sometimes, require complete VC replacement. Mine just done this year at 59k under warranty. $800 job otherwise w/parts, labor. Covers are not cheap, they had my car overnight to get the job done.

4) BOSE HU if so equipped, lost the left channel after a few years, replaced under warranty.

5) Various TSB repairs like Axle click, gas tank issues (hoses are a recall and free by law) like not filling up all the way (sticking flap not venting).

6) Window motors/regulators - for some reason these seem to have a higher failure rate than normal for cars like this. Possibly because the window has to snug up or drop every time the door is opened/closed. Plus the complexity of key/key fob operation allowing 1/4 drop, etc. Regulator + Motor + Labor > $500.
HTH and doesn't scare you. I've had mine since Nov 2003 (2004 MY) and really when I look at repairs/maintenance costs, the money you are talking for total care really depends on whether it is bumper to bumper or just powertrain.

You still have 4/48k and 6/70k warranty in effect on miles unless the car is older than 4 years. I assume at least one of those are expired, otherwise they are transferable.

For me, that took care of 3,4, & 5 above. #1 and #2 are wear items and if they are covered, that would make it potentially worthwhile. Also it's not the labor that kills you on things like the clutch, if you stick with OEM parts ( I wouldn't, see my sig) then parts are 80% of that job. Same for brakes - outrageous costs for Brembo Brake replacement rotors.

Last edited by SteveZ; 03-02-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: format
Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by tolyD
i hope thats not it at 31,000 miles some one said something about the dip stick and it leaks oil too like the gasket around it gets bad. man i have to check this out.
I haven't seen this problem on either my 2003 350Z or my 2004 Coupe. I have seen people not completely seat the dipstick because it is a really PITA design.

VC cover leaks would be easy to spot. The spark plug tube seals in the VC however you need to pull a plug or 6 to ensure that's not it. Left long enough as a problem, the spark plug(s) soaked in oil can start to have problems. i heard about the problem but around the same time had just gone with the COBB AP, was getting some random misfire codes. Turns out it was the spark plugs.

Check driver's side #4 and #6 to start with, for some reason I see more of the ones on that side.

This showed up after ~50k miles, hard to know exactly when. Btw I doubt this is the source of your oil smell, the seals let mine fill with oil over half the height, it has nowhere to go (except maybe back into the place it came from).

Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by nissan_driver24
...I personally would never buy extended warranty, a little research, experience, the right tools, and some elbow grease is all a need.
I mostly agree with this and rarely has an extended warranty worked out. However since I plan to keep the car (now 62 miles and 6 years old) into the area where I could possibly run into things like transmission issues, etc. I'd at least consider it depending on what it covered.

If same as warranty that came with the car, forget it if you do your own work or have a reasonable and reliable mechanic. I was quoted $600-700 to replace the cracked front lifter on my driver's seat - parts I picked up for $150 shipped, labor is not more than an afternoon's work. I don't fault the design or car, I have done some pretty evil things to, ahem, stress test the seat mounting bits.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by SteveZ
I haven't seen this problem on either my 2003 350Z or my 2004 Coupe. I have seen people not completely seat the dipstick because it is a really PITA design.

VC cover leaks would be easy to spot. The spark plug tube seals in the VC however you need to pull a plug or 6 to ensure that's not it. Left long enough as a problem, the spark plug(s) soaked in oil can start to have problems. i heard about the problem but around the same time had just gone with the COBB AP, was getting some random misfire codes. Turns out it was the spark plugs.

Check driver's side #4 and #6 to start with, for some reason I see more of the ones on that side.

This showed up after ~50k miles, hard to know exactly when. Btw I doubt this is the source of your oil smell, the seals let mine fill with oil over half the height, it has nowhere to go (except maybe back into the place it came from).
thanks for the tip doesnt a spark plug heats up to the boiling point??? that could create the burning oil smell.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
These are problems I've run into since my G has hit 70k+ miles;

Front inner Bushings- common problem for 350z cost me $100 (DIY Project)
Faulty O2 sensor- Have unplug O2 and plug it back in b/c it throws the computer off
Reverse Lamp Switch- Reverse lights went out Switch cost $30
Bolts around the Subframe start to come loose, caused a loud popping sound

And I am having alot of the same problems others listed, like the vavle cover issue. My driver side window is starting to mess up and the Gas tank issue.
Honestly, I know cars are meant to break down but this is ridiculous. I don't drive my G hard at all, I just like to cruise it so I don't understand how one could have so many problems. I can say my expierence with this car has sucked, I figured I would keep it a little bit longer and to get something new.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 PM
I've had to clean my window motors because my window got stuck down and also had to get new cam sensors. And new brake pads of course. I am at 45k right now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 issues before 65,000 miles?