G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Nice/Clean Computer/DVD/NAV Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2003 | 01:37 AM
Re: Nice/Clean Computer/DVD/NAV Upgrade

Oh do u have the Mini pc in there still? If not why did u take it out? I have the Navi installed in my car but I would not mind having a whole comp in it that will work. Is there anyone you think I can hook up a comp to the Navi screen that came with my car?

Old 04-08-2003 | 01:53 AM

Wow, that is a really clean install. I definitely give you credit for trying something you new. However, I personally wouldn't want it in my car for the following reasons:

1. The screen is not retractable.
2. You need a keyboard to operate some parts of the system.
3. The huge computer box in the trunk.
4. The install is definitely not easy, and would be expensive to have it done at a shop.

I'm not saying I don't like it or anything; I think it's an awesome design and install. I just personally don't think I'd want it in my car. But hey, more power to you for advancing the G35 community by trying new things!

BTW, what engineering discipline are you? I'm a freshman mechanical eng. major right now...wow it's hard...

2003 G35 Coupe
Black, Willow, 6spd, Aero, Prem
On the way...due in April...hurry!! [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by rwjcp721 on 04/07/03 11:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-08-2003 | 02:53 AM

I appreciate all the positive feedback. The mini pc was in there previously, but we decided to go with a desktop components set up b/c we wanted auto shutdown. However, now they have come out with some things that will allow the mini pc to be auto shut down.

Let me try to address some of rwjcp721's concerns.

1. The screen is not retractable.
There are currently retractable touchscreens in the works right now that should be available by the summer. We just couldn't wait that long.

2. You need a keyboard to operate some parts of the system.
Yes, but consider how much easier a keyboard is than your conventional NAV input interface. On my dad's Mercedes you have to scroll and click for each letter or number to enter in the address. The music and DVD controls can be done entirely with the touch screen.

3. The huge computer box in the trunk.
The case is surprisingly small and actually fits nicely in the little alcove on the side of the trunk.

4. The install is definitely not easy, and would be expensive to have it done at a shop.
I won't argue with you there. The install took FOREVER and was not easy. I won't even begin to speculate how much a shop would charge to install something like this.

My brother and I were both undergrad computer science majors.

Old 04-08-2003 | 03:29 AM

I am also a comp sci major (freshman) and I still don't think I can customize all that... hey I will fly you guys in to Cali and provide food and place to stay in return for install... hehehe

I have a couple of questions... What kind of screen is that, and how is it held in place, what type of mount?

How is the pc being powered? through car battery?

-Blk/Blk G35c

Old 04-08-2003 | 02:15 PM

UNC - that's a good point about the clumsy NAV controls that a lot of cars have. I know exactly what you mean about the BMW. My dad used to have a 740i, and that thing was horrible with that little **** that you had to scroll through the whole alphabet to select every letter...that was really tedious.

Haha, "we just couldn't wait that long." I know the feeling well [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

2003 G35 Coupe
On the way...due in April...hurry!! [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2003 | 04:04 PM

what if you already have nav.?

<font color=blue>can't wait til my baby arrives!</font color=blue>[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2003 | 04:19 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Should be no problem...someone hooked up a dvdplayer to their nav screen.....so im sure you can hook up a PC to it just the same way (TV-out from a videocard)

<font color=green>-Ramb0</font color=green>

Old 04-08-2003 | 07:19 PM

Rambo - can you tell me where you saw someone doing this?

2003 G35 Coupe
On the way...due in April...hurry!! [img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2003 | 12:13 AM

do you think i can get a smaller screen and make it work like the standard nav monitor ???? where i can hide that thing, b/c if that thing is showing around... im scare my window will pop

Old 04-09-2003 | 01:01 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

it was either here or FreshAlloy, so try to search them if you want...good luck dude

Old 04-09-2003 | 01:07 AM

There is a guy that is building retractable housings for touch screen monitors. The link is:

http://www.digitalww.com/LCD_TM_701L.htm

It looks pretty cool. On the site it says that it'll be around $600. That's around $100 more than for just the screen. It's worth the money in my opinion.

For now I put a bucket hat over it when I get out of the car. I call it my security hat :-)

Old 04-09-2003 | 01:27 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

Hey man i was just thinking about something.....What are you gonna do in the summertime when its 150 degrees in your trunk??? Man what a drawback, i guess you'd have to actively ventilate the trunk or something, or fold down the seats i guess...i dunno...

Old 04-09-2003 | 01:47 AM

Rambo, most of the components in a PC are meant to take temperatures considerably more extreme than that so temp shouldn't be too much of a problem. What I would worry about is the shock and vibration of hitting bumps in the road - hard drives are very sensitive to that and can easily become corrupt from exposure to it.

Old 04-09-2003 | 02:32 AM

It's supposed to stay cooler in the trunk than in the cabin of the car in the summer time b/c there is not sunlight coming in. However, there are also two fans (one drawing air in and one blowing air out) on the case to help.

For the bumps in the road, a foam pad was installed underneath the machine to help soften the ups and downs. So far it's done the trick.

Laptop hard drives are supposed to be more durable. The mini pc uses a laptop hard drive, but we'll just have to see how these hold up.

Old 04-09-2003 | 02:52 AM

He must be like using some good hsf fans and case fans I assume so there wont be a prob in the summer. How much you think it would cost to put a tiny pc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nice/Clean Computer/DVD/NAV Upgrade