G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

switch from 5at to 6mt worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
switch from 5at to 6mt worth it?

So i got my laser red 06 5at G35 last October and i absolutely love it. However the only problem is that its 5at. I should have gotten a 6mt just to begin with but w.e. Any way i found a G35 just about the same as the one i got now(same year color , interior , options etc.) , the only major diff is that its got 10,000 more miles at 38,000 miles and its a 6mt. and its about 117 miles away. the price is about the same so im thinking it would pretty much be a straight up swap. DO you guys think its worth the hassle? thanks

Old 04-14-2010, 02:30 PM
I would only say it would be worth it if you plan on making the car a pure race car

to me I could care less if a car is a stick or auto, obviously being a car enthusiast i like shifting and stick shifts
but when it comes to a car that im going to be driving often around town or whatever, ill take the AT, if you feel froggy you can slap it over in the manual shift mode

when it comes down to it i dont think its a big deal if a car is an auto or a stick unless your going to be racing it
if you have the extra money laying around waiting to be burnt then go ahead, otherwise i wouldnt worry about it. spend the money on some nice wheels and keeping the car up

Old 04-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
If you have to ask on a public car forum whether or not everyone else thinks you should get a 6MT instead of keeping your 5AT... is it even worth getting?

If YOU want it, GET THE DAMN THING!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucid
I would only say it would be worth it if you plan on making the car a pure race car

to me I could care less if a car is a stick or auto, obviously being a car enthusiast i like shifting and stick shifts
but when it comes to a car that im going to be driving often around town or whatever, ill take the AT, if you feel froggy you can slap it over in the manual shift mode

when it comes down to it i dont think its a big deal if a car is an auto or a stick unless your going to be racing it
if you have the extra money laying around waiting to be burnt then go ahead, otherwise i wouldnt worry about it. spend the money on some nice wheels and keeping the car up
I agree with what Lucid said. I really wanted a 6MT, but with the hills and traffic I face in San Francisco it's smarter to have the AT.

If you think you will personally enjoy the car more in MT form and have the fund to do so, then by all means go for it. If you already enjoy your AT a lot and getting an MT would only marginally increase your "fun factor", and/or you have insufficient funds, then just let it be. It's your car, and you should choose whatever options you the owner and driver is most comfortable with.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 PM
I was in the same situation. I traded my 06 5AT for my 07 6MT for basically that reason. (it was also nice to extend my warranty and have 10k less miles).
But, like the above comments say - it really comes down to what you want in a car!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If that car is at a dealer and you are going to TRADE your car in for that one, I doubt it'd be an even swap due to trade-in value vs retail value. So financially, probably not worth it, as I'm guessing you'll probably get at least $2K less for your trade in than their retail value. If they tell you it's an even swap, they're lying just to get you to "buy" their car.... Now is it worth it personally to be driving manual vs auto, that's a question for you to answer yourself....

Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if it makes you happy, just do it.. friends thought i was crazy for trading in my '05 limited 4runner to a '06 limited 4runner.. same car right? yes and no... everything inside is the same (it is a limited to a limited), engine and tranny... same... only difference are the cosmetic changes outside (led tails, projector headlights, front/rear bumper and fender flares and the 18' rims)... sure i had to come up with an extra $6000 but i'm happy... ... see? oh and i also got the same color too as well.. ... you only live once...

Old 04-14-2010, 04:26 PM
woah i thought for sure that everyone would respond with a , Hell ya get 6mt! thanks for the replies. i've never owned a M/T before and i feel like it would be so much more fun. But i've already put in a couple hundred dollars worth in small exterior mods to my G plus it got lower miles. So i suppose im better off sticking with what i got.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my two cents is that the 6MT is definitely more fun.... also, 38,000 miles on an 06 is still relatively few miles

i say, if it's truly not gonna cost you too much to trade, then go for it!

Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Not another 5at vs 6mt thread... blech.

What do you really want? A manumatic or a true stick? Both have advantages and disadvantages. I come from driving strictly manuals, but I dont regret at all getting my G in an automatic. Just depends. No one elses opinion should matter, pick what feels the best for you to drive.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:01 PM
I think i'll just stick with the 5at even tho sometimes i feel like a noob. Its not worth goin thru all the hassle. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:17 PM
get the 6mt. More fun, feels like your actually controlling/driving the vehicle.

Don't let all the traffic/hill bullcrap stop you from getting a mt. It doesn't bother at all.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iamnotkento
get the 6mt. More fun, feels like your actually controlling/driving the vehicle.

Don't let all the traffic/hill bullcrap stop you from getting a mt. It doesn't bother at all.
+1! If you're not losing a significant amount of money on it I would say go for it! I greatly enjoy my 6 m/t and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the mt come with a bit more hp? (or is that only for the 03/04). If it's an 06/07 sport, you'll get the 19s if you don't already have them, the bigger brakes if you don't already have them, and the sexxxyyy 06 sport bumper, again, if you don't already have it! Driving the G on stick is def a lot of fun, and if you like to beat on the car a bit, from my experience, automatic slushboxes are not too fond of it!
In the end though, like everyone says, it's up to you, and if you're ready and willing, then go for it, if it's just a matter of what other people think and you feeling like a "Noob" then mod your car and call it a day. I'm sure we've all seen some pretty sweet a$$ 5ATs!