G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

thoughts / hows your fiber glass bumper holding up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010 | 12:52 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
If you are dumped and like in a area with crazy driveways and dips, etc chances are you will crack your front. If you aren't dumped you will most likely be fine, given you are a decent driver lol

I will always go glass unless poly is the same price which wont happen.

Old 04-22-2010 | 11:45 AM
Everyone has what they believe to be true....opinions!

I'm very surprised at the opinions here on how well f/g will hold up against urethane. To me it makes more sense to invest in urethane because it doesn't crack like f/g. Like I mentioned previously my front end was hit with a full truck recap so hard my right side clear popped out which I didn't discover until I got home. The only damage was a few scuffs which polished out. I don't believe f/g would have survived this kinda hit. I've had f/g bumpers and lips on my Zees/510 and was continually patching and repairing cracks....
Gary

Old 04-22-2010 | 02:54 PM
I'm for FG just cos of repair costs. It is all dependent upon the driver and how low their vehicle is. Urethane holds up damn well, but so does FG, just not as well. I went through about 7 pairs of sidemarkers, no joke. Kept popping out and breaking cos I'm so low. people that are low will have more of a difficult time since the driver has to be good enough to avoid certain areas or angle properly. If damage is incurred, the fiberglass is easier to fix. For someone that doesn't drive super low, then I'd say urethane would be a better route to prevent damage.

Old 07-25-2010 | 11:56 AM
Just cracked my nismo replica yesterday. i have a 05 sedan. i was coming out of a drive way and the corner caught the end and ripped the side open. So pissed, only had it for 2 months. I feel like i should of just bought a poly front lip and called it a day.

Old 07-25-2010 | 01:33 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic
Staff Alumni
Itasha Coupe
Premier Member
I completely agree with Donpisto. You just have to be careful when driving with a fiberglass bumper and avoid certain areas. It also helps if you know the conditions of the road you're traveling on. But if not, you just have to pay attention and identify the unexpected dips ahead of time. Having a fiberglass bumper will probably make you a better driver, honestly. However, fiberglass is easier to repair. I cracked my AIT bumper at the fender mount when a truck in front of me carrying bricks decided that it wanted to dump some of the bricks on the highway, so I hit them going about 35mph since I couldn't avoid them without hitting the car next to me or going into the ditch. It got repaired in 3 days.

As for urethane, that thing is very durable. I had no idea how flexible a urethane bumper is. Not to say that one would not have to be careful with a urethane bumper, but it can go through hell and back and won't crack where in some situations a fiberglass bumper would.

After owning both fiberglass and urethane, I will have to lean towards urethane mostly because its just more durable. However the price for a urethane bumper will be higher then that of a fiberglass bumper.

Old 07-26-2010 | 02:51 AM
|
BIGMAX19

sorry to hear that bro, thos nismos are damn expensive when you add in the cost of the ducts, way to much for me. I always have a full car and I know the same thing would have happen to me, it would just be a matter of time.

I appreciate you coming out with it.

konxeptionz.. how much did the repair cost you?
at least for us sedan guys the cost of a fb around 500 bucks is way to much. people are making poly for the coupes for around 250.

Last time I had fb back in the day, for a crack the repair was about 200 bucks plus paint,

if I had urethane then, I wouldn't even had to get it fixed. so in my case the fg has to be at least 200 bucks cheaper than the FB, and not even factoring the time and headache of having to get it fixed.

I was just hoping that 6-7 years later the FB would be better, or they would make it with a special mix that makes it stronger.

Old 07-26-2010 | 04:32 AM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic
Staff Alumni
Itasha Coupe
Premier Member
Originally Posted by boostedforlife
konxeptionz.. how much did the repair cost you?
at least for us sedan guys the cost of a fb around 500 bucks is way to much. people are making poly for the coupes for around 250.
One of my good friends has a body shop and he fixed it and repainted it for $300. It was a 2-3 day turn around, so I was riding dirty with no front bumper.

But I finally caved in and sold that one and got a poly KZ.

Last edited by XiN; 07-26-2010 at 05:29 AM.