G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

loud pop from clutch assembly (different from other threads)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
loud pop from clutch assembly (different from other threads)

Hi all...

I have a 2004 6mt coupe.

I recently had some sticky clutch problems and ended up having the whole hydraulic system replaced. That problem was resolved, but now I am presented with a new one (of course)!

It's a loud pop/ping/click/whatever that seems to come from the pedal assembly itself, only when PRESSING DOWN on the pedal. All the other threads about pedal clicks seem to occur with the pedal traveling in the opposite direction (pedal on its way up).

The pop occurs in the first couple of inches of pressing the pedal, and I can't get the noise to occur with the car off or even when sitting in neutral. It only occurs after driving in one gear for about 30 seconds or more... I press the clutch and then POP. I can feel it in my foot as well.

I got under there and the assembly appears to be in good shape... the clevis pin rotates freely as it should. Nonetheless, I took the pin out and sprayed with lithium grease. Well actually, I continued to spray every moving part with lithium grease.

Needless to say, the problem persists. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it has something to do with the pedal-assist spring in the back... I tried to rotate it (I read here that 2nd gen owners recommend completely removing it) but I couldn't budge it... I was working in a very tight spot with just nose pliers.

I just got my car back from the dealer a few weeks ago after a long and unpleasant ordeal, and it's the kind of thing that the dealer probably would claim they couldn't duplicate, sooooo any suggestions out there??

Do you think I should attempt to remove the entire assembly and get at that spring???

Old 04-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bumpp