advice on buying a salvaged vehicle.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
I have some experience with salvage G's ...just dont stay away from them

Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's additional intel. to consider, unless it's something you really want, trying to sell it in the future is going to be a pain in the ***. When it comes to resale salvaged cars aren't worth much. Otherwise I say, if it's priced right and it's all that you can afford, why not?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
Yup, that would be the G35 in question.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1713064794.html

He is asking for $15k. I'm thinking the car is probably worth around $11-12k because of its salvaged title.

I drove the car and it felt much smooth and brand new. A much smoother ride than the 03 I was driving last week.

To give you a better idea, I got an 05 6mt with 72k miles on it for 13.2k about 3 weeks ago and that was a clean title. The car's interior was extremely well kept and the exterior was in good condition as well and the car drives well.

I wouldn't pay more than 12k for it!

Old 05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
**Can anyone run carfax for free here? I have the VIN# and wanted to see exactly what happened to the car.

Also, he said it is cool if I get a mechanic to take a look at the car. How does getting a mechanic to look at a car usually work? Do I pick up a mechanic and take him to the home or do I take the car to a mechanic nearby?

I'm sorry about the noob questions, but I've never bought a salvaged vehicle before and all other used vehicles I have purchased were CPO.

Originally Posted by Ownat1on
To give you a better idea, I got an 05 6mt with 72k miles on it for 13.2k about 3 weeks ago and that was a clean title. The car's interior was extremely well kept and the exterior was in good condition as well and the car drives well.

I wouldn't pay more than 12k for it!
Great deal! I can't find anything of that sort around me and insurance, unfortunately, will end paying for my rental tomorrow. So I have to get into a new car quick. My options are very slim with cars because I can only use what the insurance check is. I recently quit my job and went back to school.

Last edited by ZMonkey11; 05-04-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 PM
well guys the nex QUESTION is registering the car some state is a no no no no no no!!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was in an accident I would take it to a collision repair shop and make sure the frame isn't damaged. If the frame is okay, I would then take it to a mechanic you can trust.

You usually have to take a car to the shop. Since you want them to put it on a lift and have them inspect everything. Be sure to pick your own mechanic. If he recommends someone they might not tell you the full extent of the damage.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you thought about insurance? I bet insurance is gonna cost a bit more than a non salvaged car and a lot of people are saying that you can't get full coverage. What are you going to do if you crash your car? I would call your insurance and find out how much it will be and what kind of coverage you will get. I know AAA won't give out full coverage for a salvaged vehicle. Unless you are only using this car for shows or the track, it seems like it's not worth the trouble.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I bought a salvaged MR2 turbo from out of state a few years back. I got full coverage on it (insurance) it did NOT cost anymore than a non-salvage vehicle. I agree with the post above in that if you plan to keep it a long time it can be worth it. Very very difficult to sell a salvage vehicle.

I would say depends entirely on the extent of the damage and repair. Frame work etc.....I would likely pass. If it was just mostly cosmetic it might be worth it. If you can get extensive proof of exact damage and what was done i would consider one.

FYI I am in NY and bought salvage vehicle from IN, It had to have a special inspection in NY one time. This was more to see if there were stolen parts on it and that it was safe than anything else.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 PM
i plan to keep this car at least six yrs. I mean...at that point, it would be ten yrs old so I'd probably just keep it the rest of my life as a beater.

Yea, I'll check on the insurance today and see what type of coverage I could get for the car.

Do body shops cost money to take a look at frame damage? Man..this could cost a pretty penny for a car I don't buy...

Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 PM
DO NOT DO IT

At most you'll save a few thousand when it's all said and done...and piece of mind is worth a lot more to me...buy something normal.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Ive owned quite a few salvaged title vehicles. The only drawback Ive found is people(like the ones in this post) get all scared when they hear the word "salvaged" or "rebuilt" and steer clear of them. Ive had excellent luck with salvaged cars, get them for 20-40% cheaper. Never had any issues with insuring them or anything "falling off" or "breaking" becuz of a prior accident. If a reputable shop is doing the repair work they come out fine. Half the people who knock them have probably never set foot in a body shop or know what body shops are capable of these days.

Some of the people in this post are probably driving cars that were repaired and repainted and dont even know it cuz they dont know what to look for. Just becuz the title says "clean" and nothing comes up on carfax doesnt mean your car was never in a fenderbender before you bought it.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
carefull with the whole "im having a baby" excuse for selling a car as a lot of time people will do this when there is actually a much larger more threatening issue causing them to sell the car.. not saying thats the case just warning you

Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by shocker611
carefull with the whole "im having a baby" excuse for selling a car as a lot of time people will do this when there is actually a much larger more threatening issue causing them to sell the car.. not saying thats the case just warning you
Cool man. Appreciate any advice I can get.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
Ive owned quite a few salvaged title vehicles. The only drawback Ive found is people(like the ones in this post) get all scared when they hear the word "salvaged" or "rebuilt" and steer clear of them. Ive had excellent luck with salvaged cars, get them for 20-40% cheaper. Never had any issues with insuring them or anything "falling off" or "breaking" becuz of a prior accident. If a reputable shop is doing the repair work they come out fine. Half the people who knock them have probably never set foot in a body shop or know what body shops are capable of these days.

Some of the people in this post are probably driving cars that were repaired and repainted and dont even know it cuz they dont know what to look for. Just becuz the title says "clean" and nothing comes up on carfax doesnt mean your car was never in a fenderbender before you bought it.
So true, I found out this week that my trunk had been resprayed prior as well as my sail panel on the passenger side. Carfax was clean when I bought it in 07 and it only had 20k miles on it.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:37 PM
So I took it to the mechanic today and found out the car had flood damage.

The car was so clean, though...

Great thing is mechanic shop did it for free, and right in front of the owner of the car, he said:

"If it were me, I wouldn't buy it. Unless you are getting a SMOKING deal, I wouldn't buy it."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: advice on buying a salvaged vehicle.