G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

04 coupe cuts off while driving (in motion)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 coupe cuts off while driving (in motion)

I got a 04 coupe, around 28k miles, 6mt. I experienced two cut offs last night. I had an oil change service done at like 27k, and gas was at 1/4 tank. First time was getting off a parking lot when it was in first gear at around 2k rpm. Second time was in third gear at around 2.5k rpm, was just cruising. Both times the cut offs last like a second before the car got back on itself and I was able to catch up with the speed it had. I did some research and it seems like the problem might have caused by weak sparks, clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump (I hope not). Any thoughts guys?

Old 05-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am having the same problem, only mine shut down permanently... did u get it fixed?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by SkylineGT
I got a 04 coupe, around 28k miles, 6mt. I experienced two cut offs last night. I had an oil change service done at like 27k, and gas was at 1/4 tank. First time was getting off a parking lot when it was in first gear at around 2k rpm. Second time was in third gear at around 2.5k rpm, was just cruising. Both times the cut offs last like a second before the car got back on itself and I was able to catch up with the speed it had. I did some research and it seems like the problem might have caused by weak sparks, clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump (I hope not). Any thoughts guys?
Is the car easy to start or does it take quite a few cranks to fire up? Any check engine lights? Faulty camshaft position sensors will produce similar symptoms to what you described.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 AM
It cranks and starts, and then runs for about 10 seconds. It vibrates and coughs as if it's gasping for fuel and then cuts off. The economy's got me pretty broke right now, so I'm trying to evaluate the problem myself.

I took off the entire air box assembly up to the TB. I started it up with the assembly off, and it ran and didn't cut off, cough or anything. TB is very dirty since I've never cleaned it. MAFS looks pretty clean including the inside of all the rubber tubing. I'm going to remove the TB and clean it with some TB cleaner from the auto parts store. (I did this years ago with my '99 Accord) Next I plan to spray the MAFS with electronic parts cleaner. Afterward, I'm going to replace everything and try it again...

If this doesn't work, it probably is the Cam Pos Sensor... Oh yeah, and I can't tell if there's any check engine lights since the car shuts off so quickly and never settles...

Old 07-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car have been doing fine since then which I've done nothing to it. Until last time, I stopped at a station to get some gas, the car died. Nothing came on in the instrument when i turned the key, so I figured it's the battery. I disconnected the negative connector, knocked the tip a few times and get rid of those build-ups, reconnected it, then car was able to start up again. I'm not sure if it's associating with the issues I had before since the battery is still fairly new (I even got the good one). I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens next...to find out where the problem is...lol

Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Incrediblebeatz
It cranks and starts, and then runs for about 10 seconds. It vibrates and coughs as if it's gasping for fuel and then cuts off. The economy's got me pretty broke right now, so I'm trying to evaluate the problem myself.

I took off the entire air box assembly up to the TB. I started it up with the assembly off, and it ran and didn't cut off, cough or anything. TB is very dirty since I've never cleaned it. MAFS looks pretty clean including the inside of all the rubber tubing. I'm going to remove the TB and clean it with some TB cleaner from the auto parts store. (I did this years ago with my '99 Accord) Next I plan to spray the MAFS with electronic parts cleaner. Afterward, I'm going to replace everything and try it again...

If this doesn't work, it probably is the Cam Pos Sensor... Oh yeah, and I can't tell if there's any check engine lights since the car shuts off so quickly and never settles...
CEL will be there when you start the car, if the car throws one in the first place.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Incrediblebeatz

Cleaning your TB should fix it. I had a similar problem this past week. The TB had a lot of build up. It would not start if the engine was warm. If the engine is cold it would start up. Now it works fine. Just need to do the relearn to fix the low idle.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
if you fill up with gas when that station is very low in the holding tank you will pick up WATER which will clog you fuel filter....most common problem of cut outs