G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Oil Consumtion update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 07:21 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil Consumtion update

Ok I took her to the dealer and they checked the car for leaks and hooked her up to I assume some sort of diagnostic machine. No leaks and no red flags from the computer. (Mind you this is already more than the other dealer attempted) So they checked the oil and It was a quart low. They topped it off and sent me on my way for a thousand mile drive.

Now with the quart that they put in the car has seen a total of 9 quarts in a little over 3k miles. That makes lets see carry the 2 and oh yeah 4 quarts burned in 3,000 miles. It still burns my a$$ that the other dealer considered this normal and sent me on my way. Honestly who does that or better yet what service manager of a car dealership does that?

Anyway I checked the oil when I got home from the dealer after a few minute cool down period (10-15) and the oil was exactly at the full mark so now I just have to put a 900 more miles on her and we'll know more. It's a great excuses to drive though.

Luckily I have to go to vegas next week so those thousand miles are gonna take a little longer than usual but I'll get there in the next couple weeks and then it's time for the next chapter in the oil burning book.

Just wanted to keep anyone thats interested updated.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Re: Oil Consumtion update

Keep the updates coming. I've read a lot of reports of VQs eating oil. Not as drastic as yours. You might get a new engine out of it if there is a problem.

---------------------------------

Old 09-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I WANT A NEW ENGINE! Afr0ouff come to my house you're always home at night!

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 09-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about all this oil consumption, I sure hope my car will not get it. I found this on another forum:

"ok here is what I heard from a tech at a Nissan dealer who has replaced some 3.5 and 2.5 Nissan engine because of oil consumption. All of the 3.5L engines have a variable intake manifold. Its a device that looks like individual throttle plates, I belive its function is to force incomming air to tumble giving the engine better efficiency. Anyway the plates are attached to a rod by little screws. Then the assembley opens and closes at whatever engine peramiters they design it to (i believe at low end). The problem is that the screws holding the plates to the rod have begun to back out an fall down the runner and into the combustion chamber! When it does it can screw up the top piston ring, and that is the reason for the oil consumption on a lot of them. the screw stays in the combustion chamber and from what I was told usually melts onto the piston. Some people having this problem have had a funny noise on start up then it goes away, I never heard anything. I have only seen the consumtion one time then had the oil changed, so I'm monitoring it. Good thing for the 70,000 mile power tran warranty. I am just passing a long info that I heard, we'll see what happens. Maybe who ever is having there engine replaced can ask to look at the device I was talking about and see if that was the issue. If it was I make damn sure to ask if you got an updated version."

The link is:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...e#Post67842042

I don't know how accurate this guy is but it won't hurt to ask the dealer to take a look at that part next time you bring your car in. You never know...

'04.5 TwilightBlue Coupe [AT5]//Willow Leather//Premium Pkg//Perf. Tire & Wheel Pkg//Sunroof//Splash Guards//Sirius Sat Radio

Old 09-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator

LOL! Yankee - Bosox series... Can't leave the couch. I usually don't post this much, but I need something to do between innings.

As for oil consumption, the worst I had was losing two quarts after 3750 miles. This was around 11k miles using synthetic since 1500k. It's progressively getting better though. If you do your own oil changes, i suggest sending in a sample to blackstone labs. They will be able to detect if your engine is being damaged. Cost like $20.

---------------------------------

Old 09-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Premier Member

Afro is the game on tomorrow? Come over my house we can watch it on my HDTV Plasma with surrond sound [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I'll get the chips and Corona... maybe?

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 09-26-2004, 02:58 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Yo Nick, sucks man!! Anyway i have an idea, since your going to vegas you can let me borrow your car for the week to see what the oil level will be like in 900 miles, deal? No but im really serious, like seriously!! =)

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

Old 09-26-2004, 08:25 AM

My dealerships version of "monitoring the oil cunsumption" is putting 10 quarts in at the same time. I've driven 500 miles since they changed it and whether the car is hot, cold, night, day, it still reads almost an INCH over the full mark. I'm going to call Infiniti Consumer Affairs if they try to pawn it off as not burning oil. I can't wait until they see it still overflowing after 1,000 miles, I'm going to ask them if they want to go halfs on the patent for the only engine that manufactures its own oil... then kick the tech in the junk and sue the dealer.

This is bull$hit.

2004.5 Black on Black 6MT, Aero, Premium, Navi (every option offered)
"You can live in your car but you can't drive your house"

Old 09-27-2004, 07:33 PM

That sucks, thats almost as bad as my RX-8's thirst for oil. I changed my oil this weekend after 5k miles and according to the highly exact measurements on the 5 quart bottle, I havent burned even a 1/4 of a quart during that time frame.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:31 AM
G SQUAD

Yeah, definitely keep us updated. This makes me wonder how my car is doing with oil consumption.. I should go check it huh? =/

John

Picked up: 08/14/04
'04.5 DG Coupe 6mt (Premium Pkg. / Navi)
Front license plate adapter
Huper Optik (Ceramic 40) / Clearbra / Hardwired V1 / Phatbox

Old 09-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

same here, I never thought about checking my oil between oil changes. Since I change my oil every 3,000 miles, and I can never seem to get an accurate reading unless its first thing in the morning when the car has sat for at least 4-8 hrs......

Well, I have over 2,200 miles on this oil change and it still reads right at the full mark.......thank god......17,000 miles now, and no significant loss of oil.....

Keep us posted about what infiniti plans to do......

04 cpe JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 09-28-2004, 09:47 AM

[img]/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif[/img] no wonder when I last changed my oil only 2quarts came out. I didn't empty my oil catch out for 3 weeks. When I found out that all the oil tha drailed out fit into a apple juice container I was really confused. I know oil doesn't just evaperate by sitting in a garage. I guess they can just through in a new 2005 295hp engine in my car. Do you think I lost power or caused damage? I change my oil every 3k so hopefully I wasn't running at 2qt. for too long.

Old 09-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I seem to have trouble getting my point across about owners responsibility to keep the oil full even if the engine is using oil.

Till Infiniti agrees that you have an engine that uses in excess of what ever they consider normal, you are stuck with maintaining the oil level.

Suppose they finalize a " good engine" as using less than 1.0 quart per thousand miles and yours uses 0.75 quart........3750 mile changes means you can lose 2.8 quarts.

Older Nissan V6 and V8 used about 0.25 quarts per 1,000 mile [20-25 running hours].

What used to be and what is now seem to have changed somewhat due to the higher performance lower friction designs.

At least keep the engine close to full of oil as you might be stuck with it if it uses less than the replacement cut off point.

Luckily it seems that much less than 5% are using excess oil to date........

Old 09-28-2004, 11:51 AM
G SQUAD

For the record I constantly monitor my oil use. 4 extra quarts were added to keep the engine at the full mark in 3 thousand miles. This is the worst that it's been though. I'm not going to neglect my engine and noone should. Matience is the owners responsibility and proper function of the parts as long as they are maintained falls into Infiniti's lap.

I assume that I would be getting the original engine if it is to be replaced and not the higher horsepower one. I just assume that there are ones left over in stock Plus I dont think I want the higher HP engine. I mean who knows how it's going to react with the mods that are out for the 280hp and I've waited to mod long enough. There is a good deal of info on everything that is out for the original engine I dont want to have to wait to find out how everything reacts to the change.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:58 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Nick i told you let me have it for the 900 miles while your gone. i'll even take it to get serviced so they can check on it =)

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumtion update