G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Comin over from bmw...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2010 | 11:13 PM
|
Comin over from bmw...

Hey guys/girls lol

I just recently picked up my 06 coupe after my old bimmer kicked the bucket. I have been on bimmerforums for some years now so im not gonna clog things up here by posting bs but in all honesty i dont know squat about japanese cars

I would just like to know a few things and get some input from some more experienced members.

maintenence- how expensive are these cars parts wise vs a bmw/american car? im sure labor is the same. Any common annoyances?

If i ever were to do any mods, say I/C/E or any bolts ons, any respectable sites you could recommend? What do the normal bolt ons typically sell for? i remember them being very expensive for my bmw Also, with bimmers you really couldnt get much more out of the motors short of any FI or cams. is it the same with these cars?

I appreciate all kind responses

Old 06-08-2010 | 12:18 AM
Welcome to the forum jrockstarr!!

Maintenance - Avoid the stealership as much as you can. Many of the maintenance could be done on your own and the parts are 30% to 40% cheaper than the Bimmers. I would highly recommend you to go by Hill's garage (Baltimore) or Elite (Laurel) and just shoot the breeze with these guys...awesome folks!!

Mods - Let the "search" button become your best friend. Just lookout for the "Mod-bug"

Come to one of NGC's meets and get to know the FAMILY

Old 06-08-2010 | 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by iky80
Welcome to the forum jrockstarr!!

Maintenance - Avoid the stealership as much as you can. Many of the maintenance could be done on your own and the parts are 30% to 40% cheaper than the Bimmers. I would highly recommend you to go by Hill's garage (Baltimore) or Elite (Laurel) and just shoot the breeze with these guys...awesome folks!!

Mods - Let the "search" button become your best friend. Just lookout for the "Mod-bug"

Come to one of NGC's meets and get to know the FAMILY
Are there free handjobs?

Old 06-08-2010 | 12:42 AM
|
yeah, i learned the hard way about the mod bug with my bmw. i wont get the mod bug with this car but may end up doing a few small things. i know thats how it always starts but i learned before that the more mods you do the more maintenance you seem to have to do. So any mods would be the short and sweet ones. aka maybe I/C/E

although from the searching i have been doing i have found that intakes seem to be worthless on these cars and your better off with a drop in and whatever this Z tube is. pardon my ignorance but again im not familiar with Japanese cars

i wouldnt mind showing up for a meet here n there. used to do it occasionally back in the day lol. id probably be the old man there though haha, yikes

Old 06-08-2010 | 11:31 AM
Forget the Z tube, looks only and a little more sound. Motordyne is your friend for more power!

Old 06-08-2010 | 11:44 AM
get plenum spacer, that is the best mod for the G that let you gain 12-14HP

Old 06-08-2010 | 02:44 PM
welcome, i came from bimmerfest too, had a 540i

Old 06-08-2010 | 02:50 PM
gck
Originally Posted by NachoCheese
Are there free handjobs?
what a b@@@ch hahahahahaha

Old 06-08-2010 | 05:57 PM
|
anyone else agree with 12-14 hp from this spacer? that sounds nuts, how does a spacer add that kind of power?

how expensive is it to do and how hard to install? mechanic needed? lol

Old 06-08-2010 | 05:59 PM
Welcome to the forums.

Since you have a revup engine (6MT) one of your first mods should be the Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer and MREV2, you will see great gains with that combination. But you must have both of those parts in order to see the gains. You're right about the intakes, they don't do much for our cars.

As for exhausts, it really depends on how you'd like it to sound, or how loud. But for one of the best, proven, performing setups, get the Motordyne shockwave v2 with the ART pipes (basicailly test pipes w/hemholtz resonators attached to them). Then finish off with an Osiris tune.

For handling, i'd say the best mod would be sway bars. Go with Motordyne, Hotchkis, or Stillen sways.

Obviously I'm a little biased towards Motordyne, lol. But do a search for all the parts I suggested, or spend some time in the intake/exhaust section and you'll see why.

Old 06-08-2010 | 05:59 PM
the spacer is cheap and you can install it yourself

Old 06-08-2010 | 06:24 PM
|
thanks to most for your responses. i have a ton of stuff to research now lol. yeah the plenum mod does seem awesome, where in the rev range would the extra power be found?

haha to pick up 12 hp in any bmw depending on the year (we'll use my old E36 328is for example) i would probably have to have dropped a cai, exhaust and a tune and MAYBE i might have picked up 10 hp. you were talking 240 for the cheapest proven intake 400 for the tune and 550-600 cheapest exhaust. the newer bimmers were even more expensive to mod.

there was no such thing as a bang for you buck mod on that car lol.

Old 06-08-2010 | 06:35 PM
The 5/16" spacer will give you the power around the mid range, the 1/2" spacer will give you power mid-high range.

If you think that's impressive, read up on Motordyne's ART pipes, 10+HP and 20+TQ in the low-mid rpm range.

Check out www.motordyneengineering.com to check out dyno sheets on the parts. And keep in mind that the exhausts, spacers, and art pipes have all been dyno proven by members on this board, my350z.com, and even myself. So these aren't just "Manufacturer advertised" numbers.

Oh, and the owner/inventor of Motordyne is on this forum under "Hydrazine", so if you ever have any questions about his products, just PM him.

Old 06-08-2010 | 06:50 PM
UO underdrive pulleys for some low end torque gains!

Old 06-08-2010 | 07:30 PM
I have an E46 M3 as well as a 2003 6MT. My G35 is mechanically stock with only some appearance mods. But I would absolutely fear doing anything to the M3. Just maintenance on a stock S54 engine (Inspection I and II) is expensive enough. Plus from what I've seen on the M3 forums, half the time a dealership can't correctly diagnose an issue on a stock engine, God forbid you jack something up trying to do a mod. Not worth the risk IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comin over from bmw...