G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help with Projector Headlight Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Help with Projector Headlight Retrofit

Thanks in advance. I've been searching these forums for over an hour now and haven't found an answer for this yet. I'm hopeful someone more knowledgeable than I will have an answer.

I had some minor bodywork & paint done today. The shop offered to install the '06 projector headlights I bought from Riverside Infiniti free of charge, since they were going to have the front bumper cover off anyway. I said "please do". Saved me some time.

I should write that my coupe is an '04 model.

When I got home I turned the lights on to verify they worked and found the following....

The area circled in the photo below produces no light at any switch position, except for what comes from the tiny bulb inside the housing...I think it's called a "city light". It appears it should...looks like there's a bulb, or a place for a bulb in it.

I had the shop use the ballasts from my original headlights.

All the research I've done seems to indicate there should be a fog light projecting from this area, but I'm not sure about that. If there is, does anyone have any thoughts on why there isn't light coming from this portion of the headlight assembly? There's not even a "fog" position on the light switch.

Again, thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Help with Projector Headlight Retrofit-06-projectors-modified.jpg  
Old 06-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those are def. the foglights, when my friend got his from riverside yesterday they worked perfectly fine. Have you tried checking the bulb? I know that mine has a switch that you twist which is on the same thing you use to turn your headlights on. I remember when switching the ballast that I had to run the new HID bulb inside the headlight which required me to disconnect the stock light bulb. Maybe they didn't reconnect it? Or they put the connector on backwards.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Choleaoum
Those are def. the foglights, when my friend got his from riverside yesterday they worked perfectly fine. Have you tried checking the bulb? I know that mine has a switch that you twist which is on the same thing you use to turn your headlights on. I remember when switching the ballast that I had to run the new HID bulb inside the headlight which required me to disconnect the stock light bulb. Maybe they didn't reconnect it? Or they put the connector on backwards.
Thanks for the quick reply. I wish I'd taken the time to look at the new headlights closer before they were installed. I assumed all the light bulbs were already installed in the housing and all that needed to be done was a ballast swap.

Which switch position turns these lights on? The "running lights" position? In that position, I get that little bulb not visible in that photo to turn on, but nothing more than that.

At least my high/low beams work...that's the critical thing.

I'll make a trip to the garage to see if I have bulbs installed in the fog lamps.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Looks like I'll have to pull the headlight assembly to check on the fog light bulbs. Since the bumper cover was just painted this morning I'll probably wait a few days for the paint to cure better first.

The projectors seem to spread more light out to the sides of the road. I like them.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 06. When I first bought it I was curious how to turn that on too. It's the fog light. So I messed around and found the switch. When you turn on ur night light, there are two clicks right. Look closer to that switch u'll see a switch to fog light. Turn it forward and the fog light gona b on..

Old 06-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The fog light switch is on the same stalk as the headlight switch, but it is to the right of it. Look just to the right of the light switch (on the same stalk), and there is another part that rotates. Rotate that part forward so to move off away from the dot.

You can see this in the owners manual. In mine it is on page 2-22.

Note that the fog lights will only come on when the headlights are on.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm such a moron. I've owned this car for two years now, and I never even knew it had fog lights until yesterday when I was inspecting the body shop's work. Lol

Two years and I never noticed that switch before.

Next thing you guys will tell me is the car has ejection seats, and that switch is integrated into the factory cigarette lighter!

Thanks all. I figured someone sharper than I would be able to help out.

When all else fail, read the f****** manual.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wata noob!?

trust me man ur not the 1st or last / i did the same lol

Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What size bulbs are the fog lights?

Last edited by develop1; 06-20-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Originally Posted by Irrelevant
I'm such a moron. I've owned this car for two years now, and I never even knew it had fog lights until yesterday when I was inspecting the body shop's work. Lol

Two years and I never noticed that switch before.

Next thing you guys will tell me is the car has ejection seats, and that switch is integrated into the factory cigarette lighter!

Thanks all. I figured someone sharper than I would be able to help out.

When all else fail, read the f****** manual.

LOL, I tricked my girlfriend into believing that my car had an edjection seat, except i used the seat warmer buttons because it was more "believable."

Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by develop1
What size bulbs are the fog lights?
I hope you're not asking me. I didn't even know I had fog lights until yesterday.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by Irrelevant
I hope you're not asking me. I didn't even know I had fog lights until yesterday.
I'm asking anybody out there who knows because I have to replace my bulbs asap but I just don't know which size they are for our '06's. Anybody have an idea?

Last edited by develop1; 06-21-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 06-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by av8or
Thanks. Wonder why I didn't think of that!