G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Emergency, car is messed up after washing engine bay!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Yeah there was a lot you should have covered up before hosing down the engine... If your car was able to even turn over means it might be okay, but I would for sure wait for everything to dry out before even moving it again...

^ and as far as that fuse box is conerned, unless he removed the battery cover and hosed the battery down too (which would be... Ummm... Wouldn't know what to say to that other than /facepalm) it should be fine.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna follow the guide this guy looked at FO SHO

Old 06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 140 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by NachoCheese
I'm gonna follow the guide this guy looked at FO SHO
hahaha

Old 06-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by xdEnbOyx
Yeah there was a lot you should have covered up before hosing down the engine... If your car was able to even turn over means it might be okay, but I would for sure wait for everything to dry out before even moving it again...

^ and as far as that fuse box is conerned, unless he removed the battery cover and hosed the battery down too (which would be... Ummm... Wouldn't know what to say to that other than /facepalm) it should be fine.
lol, no I didn't remove the battery cover and hosed the battery down haha. I just checked the air filter and it is dry now but I am going to wait until tomorrow night to try to turn the car over and reset the ecu.

This is probably the last time I am washing an engine bay.. haha

Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redtoblack
lol, no I didn't remove the battery cover and hosed the battery down haha. I just checked the air filter and it is dry now but I am going to wait until tomorrow night to try to turn the car over and reset the ecu.

This is probably the last time I am washing an engine bay.. haha
It takes a lot to hydrolock an engine, it's almost impossible to hydrolock with a garden hose lol. My girlfriend drove her car into a flood and her car shut off, but her car still didn't hydrolock!

I lightly misted my battery, fusebox and I turned out fine. I must have gotten lucky! Don't let this one time scare you, I'm willing to bet it's your MAF sensor that got wet those things are way sensitive. The only thing I covered was my airbox, I put a bunch of old boxers in there.

I recommend you search up the guide on how to clean your MAF sensor lol I wouldn't want any corrosion.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:53 PM
you probably got water in the spark plug sockets and it's arcing when you try to accelerate. Get a compressor and blow out the water.

Did this before - took a couple days for it to fully dry out

Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
If you don't have a compressor use a leaf blower and spend a half hour making sure there's no moisture anywhere on you engine. Reset your ECU, let it sit overnight and pray there's no permanent damage done. Excessive water can mess up a lot of sensors, that's why we don't flood our engines.... You won't make this mistake again, I got $5 on that!
Gary

Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
goodluck

Old 06-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Pop the hood and sit a big fan or two there over night where they will move air through there to get rid of the moisture. and if its sunny tom. pop the hood and let it soak up those rays! wouldnt hurt to check both the fuse boxes for moisture as well - if theres water there . . . ouch cause i dont think all those fuses and relays are cheap. best of luck to you!

oh and in the future. i just spray some tire cleaner (thats the brand i use to clean the wheels and tires) like this on a sponge or towel and wipe everything down each time after i wash my car, does better and you dont risk this happening!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well you are not suppose to get the alternator wet, and this might be the reason why your CEL is on. If you have solid lights on, then you might want to get the car diagnosed before further damage occurs. Good luck bro!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Yea I hate my car now because I cant go into a car wash with undercarriage spray anymore becausae my air filter sits in the passenger fender near the ground.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:02 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
That's a good thing^^

Car washes are not a good idea for our cars.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup.

The one at the dealership gave my car a lot of scratches from the rotating bristles. Now on, Im the only one that washes my car.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
^ +1, and good idea for using tire cleaner.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Update #1. 6:00 pm

So I took my filter out and it had to be replaced. I replaced the filter and cleaned the MAF sensor. I also have disconnected the battery for 15 minutes or so hopefully my ecu has been restarted. I still havn't turned the car over yet just waiting until sun sets. The hood is still up at the moment.

The air filter was destroyed... Anyways don't know what's up with the sizes of the pictures lol.

Update #2. 8:00 pm

So I started the car, all the lights went off and only the "service engine soon" light is on. I took it around the block and it drove fine no jerking but seemed a bit underpowered. The problem is though, when I stop the car gets really rough on idle. It stalled twice when I went around my neighbourhood. It is the sparkplugs being wet and it's not dried completely? Will it eventually dry up or I need to take the plugs out and crank the engine to force the water out of the socket(someone's advice)? Please if someone knows..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Emergency, car is messed up after washing engine bay!