G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I'm a horrible person.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a horrible person.

I'm a manager at a paint shop. I push cars through the paint line all day, every day. It can be a stressful job, but now I'm getting my G fixed up... and I'm realizing how much more I care about my own car than everyone else's. It's sad.

I'm going to the shop early tomorrow to power wash the paint booth like 5 times before my car goes in... I'm super paranoid, even though I know I can just do it again if something's not right haha. She's all ready to go, see attached pic!

Attached Thumbnails I'm a horrible person.-img00431-20100701-1448.jpg  
Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What color are you painting it?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 PM
After much contemplation, I decided to stay with the DG (notice the roof, rockers, and trunk are masked.. because those panels were all flawless).

I love the DG color, and always have... if I was changing, I'd also have to get the door jambs done and edge the underside of the hood and engine bay, as well as the bottom of the trunk interior. I'm already hogging enough booth time by getting this done for free.

If all goes well, I'll have pics of the finished product tomorrow!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
Nice!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Maybe you'll take more care with other peeps cars. The better you are the more $$ for you. I'm not saying you do a bad job, but maybe you'll take more care to make sure everything is perfect. I'd also be super paranoid about getting my car painted. I yacked my mouth off with worries when I was getting my tires mounted on my new wheels. This would be something that would drive me crazy, lol

Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
If it will make you feel better, you can respray my coupe for free

I know I know...I'm a giver like that

Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Probably right... I usually do a quick walk around a car that's about to go in the booth, but for the most part, I trust my workers. Today has been different, I've triple-checked my car every step of the way, even pulled it into each bay myself haha.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Want to see pics of the finished product! but Nice

Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
u care about things more when it yours

Old 07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Where is your shop at? I'm looking to get mine repainted and she could use a little of your G love

Old 07-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I find it best to leave the booth wet while spraying. It keeps the dust down. I also do not like to change the booth filters before a paint job it always messes it up. And last if you make all your paint first then take it in the booth the less you walk out and in the cleaner your job will be. But there is always denibing no matter how clean the booth is. Good luck tomorrow

Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I also wanted to say that i am disappointed that you did not detrim the car. Whats up with that? You are going to get dry spots all over the car and runs in the clear where you try to make up for it. Not taking the handles, mirrors, beltmoldings, bumper, taillights, headlights off makes a poor job no matter how good you tape. you can not sand the edges with all that stuff in. Is this how your shop does work?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by simpson
I also wanted to say that i am disappointed that you did not detrim the car. Whats up with that? You are going to get dry spots all over the car and runs in the clear where you try to make up for it. Not taking the handles, mirrors, beltmoldings, bumper, taillights, headlights off makes a poor job no matter how good you tape. you can not sand the edges with all that stuff in. Is this how your shop does work?
I agree!

Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 PM
^keep in mind hes painting it the exact color it was from the factory, so de trimming the car will not make a big difference on the overall outcome of the paintjob.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by g35driverOo oO
^keep in mind hes painting it the exact color it was from the factory, so de trimming the car will not make a big difference on the overall outcome of the paintjob.
Have you ever painted a car? Or worked in a body shop? Or even sanded anything? You know how if you do not sand good the paint will flake off.

It will when the paint starts to flake around the moldings and headlights. What happens is the clear is so thick it fills the cracks. Everything flexes and causes the clear to crack then start to peel. He will not be able to take his bumper off because the clear will have filled the crack. The only way is to cut it with a razor blade. When you paint the door you can not angle the gun right to get clear or paint under the mirror what then causes a dry spot if you try to make up for this you run the **** out of the clear. When you clear over the handle you can not get the back side of the handle what again gets no clear then every time you use the handle it flexes the clear that is built up around the edge of the door where the handle meets the door skin. This will all start to flake sometime in the future. This is not how you paint a car it would take less then thirty mins for a body guy to detrim the car for him and make a better job in the end.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm a horrible person.