G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clutch engagement is horrible!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just did the plastic clutch mod after stumbling over this thread at work this morning. I gotta say, I am very excited to drive my car again. Best $5 I ever spent. give it a try, nothing to lose.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by M302_Imola
I agree w/ you on that.

To me the G35 clutch engagement feels like either a valve or the computer retards the quick engagement. I know w/ my M3 the clutch delay valve's (CPV) job was to delay or retard this quick clutch engagement (BMW felt like this would prolong the life of the clutch, guess they had little faith in our manual driving abilities). I simply removed the CPV and presto the car no longer bucked like a bronco w/ quick shifts. Seriously, the car is so much easier to drive as well as so much more enjoyable. I guess I'm hoping the G has a quick fix for this problem as well, although it doesn't seem that way.
There is a thread about this but I can't find it.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velomack
just did the plastic clutch mod after stumbling over this thread at work this morning. I gotta say, I am very excited to drive my car again. Best $5 I ever spent. give it a try, nothing to lose.
Did I miss something? Where is the link to this $5 plastic clutch mod?

Originally Posted by tEh d0ct0r
There is a thread about this but I can't find it.
Really? I wish someone could direct to me this thread.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=M302_Imola;5216715]Did I miss something? Where is the link to this $5 plastic clutch mod?

Here is a link to the $5 dollar version of the fix that people are referring to.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...al-remedy.html

I also just found this link which seems to have a more mechanically sound and adjustable fix.

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...al-travel.html

Try it out. All it does is reduce clutch pedal travel, but it helps, especially if you're shifting quickly.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Does that mod "fix" the "HIGH" engagement point? The mods looks more like a fix for the "switch" to start the car...

Old 07-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Does that mod "fix" the "HIGH" engagement point? The mods looks more like a fix for the "switch" to start the car...
No, it just changes the point at which the pedal stops travelling. So, instead of pushing it all the way to the floor, it will stop 2 to 3 inches shorter. It has no effect on the engagement point.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ThickG
No, it just changes the point at which the pedal stops travelling. So, instead of pushing it all the way to the floor, it will stop 2 to 3 inches shorter. It has no effect on the engagement point.
I don't see a point to this mod? You don't have to push it the way to the floor while driving. The only time you need to do this is to start the car.

Once you figure out where you engagement point is, all you have to do is step on the clutch til it hits the engagement point.. No need to wait til it hits the floor.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't see a point to this mod? You don't have to push it the way to the floor while driving. The only time you need to do this is to start the car.

Once you figure out where you engagement point is, all you have to do is step on the clutch til it hits the engagement point.. No need to wait til it hits the floor.
I agree, in that, it's not terribly helpful. It just makes it a bit easier for those who will simply push the pedal until it stops rather than pushing in until it disengages.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed, but with the mod it makes it easier, and the engagement point is more consistent without trying to feel for it if that makes any sense. this has to be the highest engagement point of any car I have owned. Guess its a personal preference.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:11 AM
i agree.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=ThickG;5216777]
Originally Posted by M302_Imola
Did I miss something? Where is the link to this $5 plastic clutch mod?

Here is a link to the $5 dollar version of the fix that people are referring to.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...al-remedy.html

I also just found this link which seems to have a more mechanically sound and adjustable fix.

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...al-travel.html

Try it out. All it does is reduce clutch pedal travel, but it helps, especially if you're shifting quickly.
Thanks!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, stupid question for everyone- So is there an aftermarket clutch kit one could install that would make the car easier to drive smoothly? Its pretty annoying to get that bucking if you don't shift perfectly every time.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by tEh d0ct0r
Ok, stupid question for everyone- So is there an aftermarket clutch kit one could install that would make the car easier to drive smoothly? Its pretty annoying to get that bucking if you don't shift perfectly every time.
I agree it is very annoying. Not sure an aftermarket clutch w/ help matters if there is a delay valve or computer that retards the clutch engagement, but we are unsure if this is the case.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 AM
The problem is the VDC, it's trying to prevent you from barking the tires between gears. Just turn it off.

No mods are necessary.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by welery
The problem is the VDC, it's trying to prevent you from barking the tires between gears. Just turn it off.

No mods are necessary.
I don't think this is the problem as me shifting between 3-4K RPM's shouldn't set off the VDC nor even come close to barking the tires. I will try to turn the VDC off and see if you're right though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch engagement is horrible!